[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Redlining

Robert.Savery@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Savery) (07/23/90)

In a message of <16 Jul 90 14:05:00>, Gregg Siegfried writes:

 GS>It is my impression that the "redlining" of various high-fraud areas
 GS>by AT&T is more for their customers' protection than their own.  The
 GS>concern is that there are many people hanging around these areas
 GS>trying to 'spot' credit card numbers as they're used to make calls.
 GS>Disallowing the use of credit cards in these areas has a twofold
 GS>effect ... First, since you cannot use your credit card, an insidious
 GS>individual cannot spot it as you make a call, and second, the thief
 GS>with a stolen credit card number cannot use it in that particular area
 GS>as a "long distance reseller" as is the practice.

 GS>As such, I believe a class-action suit would be overkill.  You may
 GS>argue that it is your right to give your credit card number away to an
 GS>onlooker if you feel like it, and to a certain extent I agree.  On the
 GS>other hand, since the telephone company usually ends up footing the
 GS>bill for fraud ("Hey!  I didn't make these calls!  Take them off my
 GS>bill."), you can hardly blame them for taking such minimal measures to
 GS>cover their backs.

Protecting your card numbers has very little if anything to do with
it. AT&T, as well as the other LD carriers got tired of getting stuck
with the bill when charge calls were made from these areas. It was
common practice to make collect calls and then later use the " I don't
know anyone there!! " argument to get the bills taken off.

I can't blame the LD carriers. They are stuck in a no win situation.
They can allow the charge calls and loose millions in fraud or they
can force everyone to use coins and end up getting nailed with bad pr
and lawsuits.

If I recall, a group of prisoners tried a lawsuit after the LD carrier
serving their prison put them on coin only calls. After the LD company
showed the judge their records of the millions of dollars lost in 1
year on the half dozen phones in the prison, he threw the case out.

I'd chalk this one up as one of the downsides of life and make sure
I've got enough change next time you need to use a locked out phone.

Bob

[1:285/666.5@fidonet] Trebor's Castle, Lavista  (1:285/666.5)

 --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
Robert.Savery@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org