[comp.dcom.telecom] How Does a Telephone Receiver Work?

dave@mars.njit.edu (Dave Michaels cccc) (07/18/90)

A telephone handset has four wires going to it, two for mike, and two
for speaker.  How does the phone merge these two into a full duplex
pair of wires?  Also, I disconnected the transmitter disc trying to
make a 'mute' feature on a phone without one, and discovered my friend
can still hear me (at a reduced volume) from the earpiece ... hmm,
why?

dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (07/19/90)

In article <9841@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dave@mars.njit.edu (Dave Michaels
cccc) writes:

> A telephone handset has four wires going to it, two for mike, and two
> for speaker.  How does the phone merge these two into a full duplex
> pair of wires?

The telephone contains a hybrid (located in a little box often called
a network) which is supposed to direct the audio energy from the
transmitter toward the line, and energy from the line toward the
receiver.  A little bit of audio from the transmitter is deliberately
'leaked' to the receiver, so that you can hear yourself (which is
often called side-tone).  This leakage path is attenuated so that most
of your speech-energy is directed to the far end.  This attenuation is
called trans-hybrid loss.

> Also, I disconnected the transmitter disc trying to
> make a 'mute' feature on a phone without one, and discovered my friend
> can still hear me (at a reduced volume) from the earpiece ... hmm,
> why?

Your telephone receiver may act in reverse, as a low-level microphone.
Your friend can year the signal it generates due to the above-
mentioned leakage-path working in reverse.  The volume is
reduced partially because the receiver is not very efficient as a
microphone, and partially because of the deliberate trans-hybrid loss.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 201 647 0900  Fax: 201 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]

toddi@yang.cpac.washington.edu (Todd Inch) (07/23/90)

In article <9849@accuvax.nwu.edu> dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave
Levenson) writes:

>Your telephone receiver may act in reverse, as a low-level microphone.

In fact, you can build a "high-tech" tin-can quality phone by
connecting two of these telephone handset "speakers" together with a
pair of wires.  No amp, no battery.  They just provide enough of a
miniscule signal to drive one other and will act as either a
microphone or a speaker.  Amazing.

They're also great for crystal radios because they're so sensitive.

Using the speaker as a microphone is quite common in inexpensive
push-to-talk station intercoms such as the $15 two-wire type from
Radio Shack.  One end has the amp and battery, the other end is just a
speaker (plus a push button which shorts a DC-blocking capacitor to
signal the "base") and the push-to- talk button on the base unit
essentially just swaps the two speakers.

I've also seen PA systems on boats that use a horn-type speaker on the
mast to talk to land or another ship which also allow eavesdropping,
er, listening via the same horn speaker.

Todd Inch, System Manager, Global Technology, Mukilteo WA  (206) 742-9111
UUCP: {smart-host}!gtisqr!toddi    ARPA: gtisqr!toddi@beaver.cs.washington.edu