[comp.dcom.telecom] Pseudo PBX For the Home?

ewing-martin@cs.yale.edu (Martin Ewing) (07/21/90)

In our new house we have expanded to quite a number of phone devices,
about six, using two lines.  As you might expect, the ringing voltage
is down.  We also don't get full value out of the second line, since
we have only one-line phones except at our Macintosh.  So much for
introduction, now the question:

Is there such a thing as a box that takes two normal residential lines
in on one side and six extensions in to the other side?  (All our
extensions are radially connected to a central phone block.)  The box
would function as a wannabee PBX, giving dialtone, handling intercom
calls, and dealing with incoming and outgoing calls.  (I assume a REAL
PBX with trunk lines to SNET would be expensive if possible at all.)

I have not seen such a home "PBX" advertised in consumer channels, but
I think it may exist.  The technology ought to permit it at a
reasonable price.

Thanks for any leads.

Martin Ewing, Yale University, Ewing@Yale.Edu

[Moderator's Note: There are indeed some 'home PBX' units available.
Mitel is one example which comes to mind. The Melco 212 is another,
with its provision for two CO lines and twelve extensions. I think
Melco is over around Seattle somewhere. Of course, you might also
consider centrex, or Intellidial, or whatever it is called there.  PT]

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (07/21/90)

Martin Ewing <ewing-martin@cs.yale.edu> writes:

> I have not seen such a home "PBX" advertised in consumer channels, but
> I think it may exist.  The technology ought to permit it at a
> reasonable price.

The "king" of small PBXes, the Panasonic KX-T series is readily
available once again. The new units are flowing right readily out of
Great Britain. The 308 handles three trunks and eight stations. It is
a most capable unit that can perform any way you require.

Needless to say, I'm still delighted with my KX-T1232, although it now
looks as though I could outgrow it at some point in the future.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

dplatt@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dave Platt) (07/22/90)

In article <9952@accuvax.nwu.edu> Martin Ewing <ewing-martin@cs.
yale.edu> writes:

> Is there such a thing as a box that takes two normal residential lines
> in on one side and six extensions in to the other side?  (All our
> extensions are radially connected to a central phone block.)  The box
> would function as a wannabee PBX, giving dialtone, handling intercom
> calls, and dealing with incoming and outgoing calls.  (I assume a REAL
> PBX with trunk lines to SNET would be expensive if possible at all.)

One such unit that I've heard about (and researched slightly) is the
Panasonic KXT-308 ... a three-trunk-line, eight-extension unit.  It
does everything you're asking for, and also has music-on-hold if you
want to wire it in.  It's intended for sale to small businesses, but
can be used in the home just as easily.  There's a larger unit (the
616) for folks with >>LOTS<< of extensions.  Both units work with
plain old telephone sets (tone-phones are preferred) as well as with
Panasonic's proprietary LCD-display phones.

What are the catches?  Price and availability, mostly.  The 308 lists
for $900, and the 616 lists for $1600.  If you want to be able to
program special features into the system, you must buy one of the top-
of-the-line LCD phones for use as your master station, at an
additional $300 or so.

I've been told that the 308 and 616 are among the models that AT&T
complained about in a "dumping" allegation, and that they are [a]
subject to a tariff and/or [b] are in short supply.  The Northern
California sales-rep for this line of equipment told me that Panasonic
is shifting production of this line to its facilities in England ...
apparently only units manufactured in Japan are subject to the
anti-dumping tariff ... but that some equipment in the line is in short
supply at the moment.

Not many Panasonic dealers carry this line ... it's only sold by those
who can do installations and can service the equipment.  Normal
consumer-type Panasonic dealers cannot special-order it, I'm told.

It sounds like nice equipment ... but it's a bit pricier than I want
to invest in at the moment.

lmg@cbnewsh.att.com (07/23/90)

cs.yale.edu> writes:

>In our new house we have expanded to quite a number of phone devices,
>about six, using two lines.  As you might expect, the ringing voltage
>is down.

At what load would one start to have problems? I checked the ringer
equivalence numbers of the devices on one line, and I got:

Modem			0.3B
Answering Machine	0.4B
1 Line Telephone	0.7B (and 0.4A)
2 Line Telephone	1.0B

The other line has:

2 Line Telephone	1.0B
1 Line Telephone	1.0A
1 Line Telephone	1.0B
1 Line Telephone	unknown
Answering Machine	0.4B

I haven't noticed any problems, but I'm not sure what to look for.
And what are the A's and B's all about?

Larry Geary: 74017.3065@compuserve.com
	     lmg@mtqub.att.com

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (07/23/90)

In article <10010@accuvax.nwu.edu>, lmg@cbnewsh.att.com writes:

> In article <9952@accuvax.nwu.edu> Martin Ewing <ewing-martin@
> cs.yale.edu> writes:

> >In our new house we have expanded to quite a number of phone devices,
> >about six, using two lines.  As you might expect, the ringing voltage
> >is down.

> At what load would one start to have problems? I checked the ringer
> equivalence numbers of the devices on one line, and I got:

	It's dejavu time again here on TELECOM Digest. Those of you
tired of this stuff can move on here. Those seeking insight to the
mysteries of telephone ringers hang on.

> Modem			0.3B
> Answering Machine	0.4B
> 1 Line Telephone	0.7B (and 0.4A)
> 2 Line Telephone	1.0B

So your total REN is 2.4

> The other line has:

> 2 Line Telephone	1.0B
> 1 Line Telephone	1.0A
> 1 Line Telephone	1.0B
> 1 Line Telephone	unknown
> Answering Machine	0.4B

So your total REN is 3.4

> I haven't noticed any problems, but I'm not sure what to look for.
> And what are the A's and B's all about?

	You shouldn't have noticed any problems. You are well within
limits for RENs. The exception would be if you were using "Subscriber
Carrier" which handles an REN of about 2.

	The A ringer is sensitive to an AC waveform of 20 or 30 Hz
+or- 3Hz.  A B ringer is sensitive to AC frequencies between 15.3 and
68 Hz.

	Below is part of an article I once wrote. It should explain a
bit about ringers.

The Ringer

     Simply speaking this is a device that alerts you to an incoming
call.  It may be a bell, light, or warbling tone.  The telephone
company sends a ringing signal which is an AC waveform.  Although the
common frequency used in the United States is 20 HZ, it can be any
frequency between 15 and 68 Hz.  Most of the world uses frequencies
between 20 and 40 Hz.  The voltage at the subscribers end depends upon
loop length and number of ringers attached to the line; it could be
between 40 and 150 Volts.  Note that ringing voltage can be hazardous;
when you're working on a phone line, be sure at least one telephone on
the line is off the hook (in use); if any are not, take high voltage
precautions.  The telephone company may or may not remove the 48 VDC
during ringing; as far as you're concerned, this is not important.
Don't take chances.

     The ringing cadence - the timing of ringing to pause - varies
from company to company.  In the United States the cadence is normally
two seconds of ringing to four seconds of pause.  An unanswered phone
in the United States will keep ringing until the caller hangs up.  But
in some countries, the ringing will "time out" if the call is not
answered.

     The most common ringing device is the gong ringer, a solenoid
coil with a clapper that strikes either a single or double bell.  A
gong ringer is the loudest signaling device that is solely phone-line
powered.

     Modern telephones tend to use warbling ringers, which are usually
ICs powered by the rectified ringing signal.  The audio transducer is
either a piezoceramic disk or a small loudspeaker via a transformer.

     Ringers are isolated from the DC of the phone line by a
capacitor.  Gong ringers in the United States use a 0.47 uF capacitor.
Warbling ringers in the United States generally use a 1.0 uF
capacitor.  Telephone companies in other parts of the world use
capacitors between 0.2 and 2.0 uF.  The paper capacitors of the past
have been replaced almost exclusively with capacitors made of Mylar
film.  Their voltage rating is always 250 Volts.

     The capacitor and ringer coil, or Zeners in a warbling ringer,
constitute a resonant circuit.  When your phone is hung up ("on hook")
the ringer is across the line; if you have turned off the ringer you
have merely silenced the transducer, not removed the circuit from the
line.

     When the telephone company uses the ringer to test the line, it
sends a low-voltage, low frequency signal down the line (usually 2
Volts at 10 Hz) to test for continuity.  The company keeps records of
the expected signals on your line.  This is how it can tell you have
added equipment to your line.  If your telephone has had its ringer
disconnected, the telephone company cannot detect its presence on the
line.

     Because there is only a certain amount of current available to
drive ringers, if you keep adding ringers to your phone line you will
reach a point at which either all ringers will cease to ring, some
will cease to ring, or some ringers will ring weakly.  In the United
States the phone company will guarantee to ring five normal ringers.
A normal ringer is defined as a standard gong ringer as supplied in a
phone company standard desk telephone.  Value given to this ringer is
Ringer Equivalence Number (REN) 1.  If you look at the FCC
registration label of your telephone, modem, or other device to be
connected to the phone line, you'll see the REN number.  It can be as
high as 3.2, which means that device consumes the equivalent power of
3.2 standard ringers, or 0.0, which means it consumes no current when
subjected to a ringing signal.  If you have problems with ringing,
total up your RENs; if the total is greater than 5, disconnect ringers
until your REN is at 5 or below.

     Other countries have various ways of expressing REN, and some
systems will handle no more than three of their standard ringers.  But
whatever the system, if you add extra equipment and the phones stop
ringing, or the phone answering machine won't pick up calls, the
solution is disconnect ringers until the problem is resolved. Warbling
ringers tend to draw less current than gong ringers, so changing from
gong ringers to warbling ringers may help you spread the sound better.

     Frequency response is the second criterion by which a ringer is
described.  In the United States most gong ringers are
electromechanically resonant.  They are usually resonant at 20 and 30
Hz (+&- 30 Hz).  The FCC refers to this as A so a normal gong ringer
is described as REN 1.0A.  The other common frequency response is
known as type B.  Type B ringers will respond to signals between 15.3
and 68.0 Hz.  Warbling ringers are all type B and some United States
gong ringers are type B.  Outside the United States, gong ringers
appear to be non-frequency selective, or type B.

     Because a ringer is supposed to respond to AC waveforms, it will
tend to respond to transients (such as switching transients) when the
phone is hung up, or when the rotary dial is used on an extension
phone.  This is called "bell tap" in the United States; in other
countries, it's often called "bell tinkle."  While European and Asian
phones tend to bell tap, or tinkle, United States ringers that bell
tap are considered defective.  The bell tap is designed out of gong
ringers and fine tuned with bias springs.  Warbling ringers for use in
the United States are designed not to respond to short transients;
this is usually accomplished by rectifying the AC and filtering it
before it powers the IC, then not switching on the output stage unless
the voltage lasts long enough to charge a second capacitor.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495