[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID Update

ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin Ellsworth) (07/24/90)

Does anyone know, or will anyone speculate about the impact the recent
state rulings regarding CID will have on 800 ANI?  I mean if it's
illegal for an individual to find out the caller's number, then it's
illegal no matter how it is marketted.  Right?

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben@cv.hp.com                | INTERNET

                     All relevant disclaimers apply.

[Moderator's Note: Except that you are entitled to the information if
you are paying for the call, which is what 800 calls are about: the
receiver automatically paying for the call, although there is a
difference between real-time delivery of the information such as
American Express receives versus billing information supplied up to a
month later, such as I receive.  PT]

dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (07/24/90)

Our moderator, in reply to another posting, writes:
 ...regarding caller-id delivery, non-real-time...

> difference between real-time delivery of the information such as
> American Express receives versus billing information supplied up to a
> month later, such as I receive.  PT]

In an earlier posting, Patrick tells us his 800 service is provided by
Telecom USA.  We recently signed up for their low-usage 800 service,
and we were told that detail billing giving the calling number is not
offered.  They'll tell us the originating city only.  Is this a recent
change in their policy? (just curious)

Dave Levenson			Voice: 201 647 0900  Fax: 201 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]

[Moderator's Note: I've had the service over a year, however ANI in
any form only came with the billing starting two months ago. Someone
else write to say they were advised by Telecom*USA that the service
was no longer available, and gradfathered to existing customers.  It
includes full ten-digit numbers about 75-80% of the time. PT