[comp.dcom.telecom] College Phracking

hoque@huxley.bitstream.com (Tareq Hoque) (07/24/90)

These college phracking stories remind me of my days at MIT and
dealing with Dormline ( . . . collect and third party calls, not
accepted).  Since Dormline was 1940's era step-by-step, it didn't have
any billing mechanism, thus it only accepted incoming calls, and you
could only make internal, toll-free or collect calls.  Anyhow, the
only way to get full telephone service was to get Netel to install
your own personal line.

A common thing to do in the dormitories was to share local lines with
several rooms, which required bridging lines and reconfiguring if
anyone changed rooms).  One day I lent my friend my Western Electric
lineman's set to do some maintenance on the bridge.  It turns out that
someone in the dorm saw him playing in the phone box in the basement
and called the Campus police.

When the campus police arrived, they questioned him on what he was
doing and seemed confident that he wasn't doing anything malicious.
They let him proceed with modifications but they did take down his
name for their notes.  After my friend was done, he gave me the
lineman's set back.  However, later in the week I got a frantic phone
call from this friend saying that the CP's have been calling him
because they want him to turn in the line set to the CP headquarters,
because he would be breaking the law if he didn't.

Well I told my friend that it was not illegal to own or use this
equipment for legitimate purposes, but he asked me to talk to the
police.

I asked the police why they thought I should give them my own personal
property.

They said it was against the law to own a lineman's set.

I asked them to cite the law that prohibits possession of the
equipment.

They couldn't answer.  Then they said they wanted it because I could
do illegal activities with the set.

I told them I could kill somebody with my kitchen knife, did they want
that too?

In the end I told them I was refusing to give my property to them.
They said they would turn me in to the Dean of Student affairs if they
didn't receive it in 24 hours.  I never turned it in, and I never
heard about the incident again.

The good old days.

tareq

zawada@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Paul J Zawada) (07/24/90)

hoque@huxley.bitstream.com (Tareq Hoque):

> When the campus police arrived, they questioned him on what he was
> doing and seemed confident that he wasn't doing anything malicious.
> They let him proceed with modifications but they did take down his
> name for their notes.  After my friend was done, he gave me the
> lineman's set back.  However, later in the week I got a frantic phone
> call from this friend saying that the CP's have been calling him
> because they want him to turn in the line set to the CP headquarters,
> because he would be breaking the law if he didn't.

> Well I told my friend that it was not illegal to own or use this
> equipment for legitimate purposes, but he asked me to talk to the
> police.

> I asked the police why they thought I should give them my own personal
> property.

Actually, both of my Western Electric butt sets say "BELL SYSTEM
PROPERTY" "NOT FOR RESALE".  I bought them at a hamfest. I realized
that this "warning" as such didn't appear on phones 'till the early
seventies or so, but wasn't this assumed before the labelling?  I mean
back then, the phone company provided the customer with the phone
equipment, so they owned most of it, if not all of it.  Right?  Was it
possible to buy regular Western Electric phones, let alone butt sets,
before the divestiture?  I don't recall ever being able to buy WE
equipment from the Bell System.  It was almost always leased.  Correct
me if I'm wrong.

On the lines of doing your own rewiring ... I believe I heard
somewhere that unauthorized entry into telephone comapany plant was a
federal offense.  This is probably mumbo-jumbo, so if anybody knows -
what really are the laws governing access to telephone company plant?

Paul J Zawada                          		|  zawada@ei.ecn.purdue.edu
Titan P3 Workstation Support           		|  ...!pur-ee!zawada
Purdue University Engineering Computer Network

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/25/90)

Tareq Hoque <hoque@huxley.bitstream.com> writes:

> In the end I told them I was refusing to give my property to them.
> They said they would turn me in to the Dean of Student affairs if they
> didn't receive it in 24 hours.  I never turned it in, and I never
> heard about the incident again.

Whatever anyone says, the MFJ had its benefits. This is one of them. I
remember from the time I was a kid until about the time I founded my
own telecommunications vending company, there was this air of panic
everytime a telephone repair person showed up on the premisis.

If there was trouble on the line a pit in the stomach would occur from
thinking about all of the "cleaning up" that would have to be done
with all the wiring. Disconnect the extra phones, get rid of the
"construction projects", can the experiments. And never, never have
any telco-type test equipment around -- even if you bought it
legitimately.

Now, of course, when a phone man comes out it is a totally different
story. On several occasions I have provided my lineman's handset to
the repairperson when s/he needed two. One of the things that has
helped is the "network interface", a direct result of divestiture. I
leave everything the way it is and with one simple motion, telco can
isolate its line and find the fault.

Oh, there's still a lot of the old attitude among the front line
folks.  In the not too distant past, I had tried to get the projected
cutover date for a particular CO. Everyone I talked to through normal,
front-line channels seemed to indicate that such information was
proprietary. Then I did an end run via one of my friends. Not only did
I get the info that I wanted, but he pointed out a Pac*Bell periodical
that lists cutover dates six months in advance.

Of course, Pac*Bell now sends announcements to customer's advising
them of planned cutovers. They are detailed form letters stating the
equipment to be removed, to be installed, and the generic release
along with info as to what kind of changes might occur in the service.

> The good old days.

Back in the good old days, none of this information would have been
considered to be any of the public's business. And why would it have
been? The "telephone company" provided everything end-to-end and no
one else need be concerned over what equipment is in the CO.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !