[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Intercept Quiz

PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter M. Weiss) (07/16/90)

Well, I just got my first cellular phone and service, and of course
have been trying it out.  I have come across a couple of anomalies
that are driving me batty:

(1) When I call from a Bell of PA COT, as soon as I finished DTMFing
the local exchange number of the cell phone, it immediately spits back
my quarter (this does not happen from a COCOT (more on this later))
without even ringing or any other hint that the call was processed.
This occurs regardless of the power on state of the cell phone.  The
call goes through correctly when calling from Bell of PA single line
home/business phones.

(2) I placed a call from within my home system to a local number: it
rang once, and then seemed to hangup.  This occured twice in
succession.  I verified this later when I actually got through to the
called party.

(3) When I call from a COCOT to the cell phone, and it is powered off,
I get an intercept message from the cell service provider and then the
COCOT _eats_ my quarter.  It's the latter which concerns me.

BTW, this is all local exchange / home system on wireline B.

Hints and tips gratefully appreciated.

Pete

Penn State U, Management Services
PMW1@psuvm.bitnet or psu.vm.edu

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/16/90)

"Peter M. Weiss" <PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

> (3) When I call from a COCOT to the cell phone, and it is powered off,
> I get an intercept message from the cell service provider and then the
> COCOT _eats_ my quarter.  It's the latter which concerns me.

Simple, and the subject of a personal campaign. The COCOT has no way
of detecting answer supervision, so the internal microprocessor
"listens" for voice from the other end. They are pretty good at this,
but they can't tell the difference between a "hello" and an "I'm
sorry...".

There are two ways around it. Give COCOTs answer supervision
indication or coin COS lines is one. Not bloody likely to happen soon.
The other would be for the cellular provider to preface the recording
(indicating that the cell phone is unavailable) with SIT. Most COCOTs
are smart enough to know that anything following SIT is advisory and
not supervised. And they won't collect the money. I have been trying
to get the cellular providers in this area to do that for some time,
but I have yet to find anyone who knows what I am talking about.

Does this give anyone any ideas about saving money when checking your
messages on your machine or voice mail? Oops, did I say that?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (07/18/90)

In article <9798@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> There are two ways around it. Give COCOTs answer supervision
> indication or coin COS lines is one. Not bloody likely to happen soon.

I understand thet the CPUC has ordered all phone companies in CA to
provide COCOTs with "identical service" to that provided to their own
COTs. I assume this would mean coin COS lines are now available to
COCOTs.

			R. Kevin Oberman
			Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
			Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
			(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my
typing and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

kcrudup@uunet.uu.net (Kenny Crudup LID-A0794) (07/19/90)

In article <9798@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
writes:

>Does this give anyone any ideas about saving money when checking your
>messages on your machine or voice mail? Oops, did I say that?

Don't worry. Beat you to it. What *I* need are frequencies....

($10 bucks says the mod ices this note....)

Kenneth R. Crudup, Lotus Development Corp. Contractor, NASD/QA system V
1 Rogers Street 6381D, Cambridge, MA 02142. (617) 693 4111.
Work: kcrudup@roxbury.lotus.com, Home: nubian!kenny@ima.ima.isc.com

[Moderator's Note: You lose. I don't know what kind of 'frequencies'
you are seeking, but they all are of public record at the FCC. Could
you be more specific in your request, please?   PT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/19/90)

Kenny Crudup LID-A0794 <lotus!kcrudup@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> Don't worry. Beat you to it. What *I* need are frequencies....

The complete description of SIT (Special Information Tones) including
frequencies, cadence, and tone duration, with listings concerning the
different "call failure" categories, is available from:

* Bellcore

* The Public Library

* Your local LEC (DID customers are required to have them for vacant
  lines)

* Your state PUC

* Half the readers of the Digest

In short, possession of this information is not a Federal crime. I'd
post is all here, but someone borrowed my big yellow Bellcore book and
didn't return it. (Or did the person I was borrowing it from take it
back? I can't remember.)

Call Pac*Bell and ask for their IXC information package. I did. It is
highly informative.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: But one thing puzzles me: What's to prevent anyone
or everyone from answering *all* their phone calls that way? In other
words, when you go off hook to answer a call, 'da da dee', then begin
your conversation. What prevents anyone from playing games like this
to provide the essence of a 'toll-free' number to callers?   PT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/20/90)

On Jul 19 at 20:26, TELECOM Moderator writes:

> [Moderator's Note: But one thing puzzles me: What's to prevent anyone
> or everyone from answering *all* their phone calls that way? In other
> words, when you go off hook to answer a call, 'da da dee', then begin
> your conversation. What prevents anyone from playing games like this
> to provide the essence of a 'toll-free' number to callers?   PT]

There is nothing to prevent you from doing this, but why bother?
Except for COCOTs, I'm unaware of any equipment or carriers that use
the SIT for billing determination. Remember, SIT is for telco and
carrier trouble auditing purposes. COCOTs use of it for detection of
"non-answer supervision" is a hack. If you want to put SIT on your
answering machine (as a friend of mine has), the only people who might
save money would be COCOT users. Real answer supervision is either DC
reversal or out-of-band signaling. You can't mess with that.

Also, all this talk about frequencies, etc., is so unnecessary. If you
want to generate SIT, just record some off the phone. The frequencies
aren't critical and it doesn't even matter if there is a little flutter
thrown in for good measure. Enjoy!

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (07/25/90)

In article <9946@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
writes:

|Also, all this talk about frequencies, etc., is so unnecessary. If you
|want to generate SIT, just record some off the phone. The frequencies
|aren't critical and it doesn't even matter if there is a little flutter
|thrown in for good measure. Enjoy!

In fact, this will make it sound more like the real thing than freshly
generated pure tones.  Better yet: turn the gain up high enough to
induce distortion as well.

	/JBL

Nets: levin@bbn.com
 or {...}!bbn!levin