[comp.dcom.telecom] High Voltage

starr@hriso.att.com (Michael L. Starr) (07/25/90)

In article <10036@accuvax.nwu.edu> julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey)
writes:

>The Ringer

>The voltage at the subscribers end depends upon
>loop length and number of ringers attached to the line; it could be
>between 40 and 150 Volts.  Note that ringing voltage can be hazardous;
>when you're working on a phone line, be sure at least one telephone on
>the line is off the hook (in use); if any are not, take high voltage
>precautions.  The telephone company may or may not remove the 48 VDC
>during ringing; as far as you're concerned, this is not important.
>Don't take chances.

This reminds me of an incident many years ago that happened to me.  I
was setting up equipment in a hotel conference room for a demo when I
hit on the problem of connecting the modems to the phone line.  The
hotel phone was hardwired, and of course we needed a modular
connection.  The simple solution seemed to be to tap a modular
junction box into the hardwired junction box.  Although I had
experienced the thrill of being shocked by military field phone
magnetos, it never occurred to me to take the receiver off the hook
(after all, I was only dealing with 48 VDC).  As you might have
guessed, a call came in during my wiring, and gave me quite a jolt!
It only takes one time to learn your lesson.

 \    /  * Michael L. Starr *  \    /   |       att!hriso!starr