[comp.dcom.telecom] Pentagon Moved to Area Code 703

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 07-Jul-1990 1858) (07/08/90)

  From:  Greg Monti
  Date:  6 July 1990
  Pentagon Moved to Area Code 703

Prefixes of the Pentagon-Department of Defense telephone Rate Area
have been moved from Area Code 202 to Area Code 703.

Up until now, the Pentagon has been one of those rare odd men out in
the North American Numbering Plan.  The Plan, at least for the US,
states that area codes don't cross state lines. The Pentagon, located
on land owned by the Federal Government in Arlington County, Virginia,
got the 202 Area Code, presumably due to it being the only major
Government agency with its headquarters in Virginia at the time Area
Codes were established.  It got 202 like the other agencies.  (Many
more Federal agencies have been located in Northern Virginia since;
they all have 703 numbers.)  Only phones which are extensions of the
Pentagon PBX had 202.  Private, outside lines, pay phones and private
businesses in the Pentagon have 703 numbers.

For local callers, the Pentagon's Area Code has been unimportant due
to the 7-digit dialing used for local calls in the Washington area.
With the advent of 10-digit dialing for local calls across state and
Area Code lines, which becomes mandatory 1 October 1990, confusion
could have reigned if nothing were done.  Would local callers dial 10
digits for local calls which cross *state* boundaries or *area code*
boundaries?  Suppose your local call crossed only one of the two
boundaries?  (From DC to Pentagon, you would cross a state line, but
not an Area Code boundary.  From Virginia, you would cross an Area
Code boundary but not a state line.)  What would be the dialing rule
then?  That confusion has been eliminated.

The following 202 prefixes have been moved to 703: 545(?), 692, 693,
695, 696, 697 and 746.  One old Pentagon prefix, 202-694, could not be
moved because there already is a 703-694 prefix in Stuart, Virginia.
A new Pentagon prefix, 703-602, was opened, presumably to absorb the
users booted off of 694.

Previously, the Pentagon was its own Rate Area for billing purposes.
Now that its Area Code is the same as the surrounding county, it may
be moved into the Alexandria-Arlington Rate Area.  The new 602 prefix
is already listed in the Northern Virginia and DC directories as
Alexandria-Arlington.

To test whether the move was complete, sample Pentagon prefixes were
dialed from both 703 and 202 phones (all local) as both 7 and 10
digits.  As of 30 June 1990, none of the sample Pentagon prefixes
could be reached by dialing 202-NXX-XXXX from Virginia but all of them
could be reached by dialing 703-NXX-XXXX from Washington, DC.  All
could be reached by dialing just seven digits from either place since
that is still allowed until October.

Dialing 703-694 from a DC phone produces an immediate, "you must first
dial a 1" intercept without even waiting for the last four digits.
1-703-694-XXXX would be the correct way to dial Stuart.

Presumably, 202-694 will be closed, if it isn't already, or kept for
some other purpose.

Greg Monti, Arlington, Virginia; work +1 202 822-2633

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (07/10/90)

A recent message in telecom from Greg Monti said that the Pentagon
picked up offices which used to be in Washington, thus (sometime way
back) it was given DC instead of Virginia prefixes.  What place name
will be used for the Pentagon prefixes which have now been put in area
703?

Switching from Washington to Arlington/Alexandria would cause some
changes in the fringes of the calling area.  From the prefixes (other
than DC & Baltimore metro) in the Maryland fringes such as
Gaithersburg and Laurel, DC is local but Virginia is long distance.

And a previous message from me in telecom notes that, despite the
(soon to go away?) ability to make long distance calls to all-but-
outermost Va. & Md. suburbs using area code 202, the already-working
NPA+7D scheme for local DC-area calls will permit area 202 to be used
only for DC prefixes.  I noticed that this NPA+7D can be used even in
one's own NPA in DC-area local calls.

Please correct me if any of this is wrong:

The Pentagon was already reachable as 7D in those extended-area calls
from "Prince William" area.  (Stuart is way down near the North
Carolina border, so there is no danger of prefix duplication involving
694.)  The extended-area calls the other way around now are dialed as
1+703+7D from the Pentagon (they are long distance from DC proper),
and could LATER be reduced to 7, not 10, digits, given that the
Pentagon prefixes are now in 703 area.

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (07/13/90)

In article <9478@accuvax.nwu.edu> covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R.
Covert 07-Jul-1990 1858) writes:

>  From:  Greg Monti
>  Date:  6 July 1990
>  Pentagon Moved to Area Code 703

>Prefixes of the Pentagon-Department of Defense telephone Rate Area
>have been moved from Area Code 202 to Area Code 703.

[deleted]

>The following 202 prefixes have been moved to 703: 545(?), 692, 693,
>695, 696, 697 and 746.  One old Pentagon prefix, 202-694, could not be
>moved because there already is a 703-694 prefix in Stuart, Virginia.
>A new Pentagon prefix, 703-602, was opened, presumably to absorb the
>users booted off of 694.

While I don't know the rationale for the creation of the 703-602 DOD
prefix, it was not to absorb the users from 694.  703-602 seems to
have been created using some of the users of 202-692, and additionally
had a new Autovon prefix established (332- , where the 692 prefix was
Autovon 222).

Regarding what happens to the 202-694 users, I quote the following
from a Navy newsletter:

"Effective 1 October 1990, all (202) 694-XXXX DOD telephone numbers
will be changed to (703) 614-XXXX.  This is necessary because local
Washington Metropolitan area telephone companies are instituting new
dialing procedures to provide for future residential and business
growth.  AUTOVON prefixes will not be affected.  You may still dial
AUTOVON 224-XXXX for all new (703) 614-XXXX commercial numbers."

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 25-Jul-1990 1347) (07/26/90)

  From:	Greg Monti: 23-JUL-1990 18:31:00.66
  Subj:	Re: Pentagon Moved to Area Code 703

Carl Moore recently asked, regarding this thread, whether the
Pentagon's local calling area, especially to the north into Maryland,
would change at all as a result of the area code change.

Test calls were made to 703 Pentagon prefixes (with the 703 appended,
but not a "1") from the Gaithersburg, Ashton and Laurel rate areas,
without depositing money, from true C&P of Maryland pay phones.
Unlike COCOTs, C&P pay phones allow one to verify, without depositing
money, whether a call is local by dialing it as if it were local and
listening for the intercept message. If you get the "call cannot be
completed as dialed" or the "you must first dial a 1" intercepts, the
call is toll from that pay phone.  If you get the "a 25 cent deposit
is required before dialing this call" message, it's local.

 From all three rate areas I got the 25-cent message, indicating that
Pentagon is local from Gaithersburg, Ashton and Laurel.

This appears to represent an improved local calling area from the
Pentagon, not a shrinking of it.  If the Northern Virginia white pages
local calling area tables can be believed, Laurel used to be toll from
Pentagon and it's local now.

Greg Monti, Arlington, Virginia; work +1 202 822 2633