[comp.dcom.telecom] 415/408 0+ Dialing

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu) (DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN) (07/25/90)

(Reply is to note by DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN <DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu>
written to Carl Moore <cmoore@brl.mil>)

You are saying some phones in 408 require you to use 0+NPA+7D if the
call is wihin 408 area?  And some phones in 408 will not accept this
particular usage of 0+NPA+7D?  408 area does not have N0X/N1X prefixes
that I know of, and I am not aware of its calling instructions being
changed to match those of 415 for "area-wide uniformity".  (This could
also be a VERY early accounting for the coming of NXX area codes.)

All the areas which I know have N0X/1X prefixes have, with the past(?)
exception of 213 in Los Angeles, required 0+NPA+7D for 0+ calls within
one's own area.  (213's instructions were to use 0+7D within that
area.)  213 was the first area to get N0X/N1X prefixes, in July 1973;
the 2nd such area, 212 in New York City in late 1980, had its 0+
instructions changed at that time to 0+212+7D for calls within NYC
(this was before 212/718 split).  It was written in this digest that
some NYC equipment could not handle 0+7D with timeout.

When 201 area in northern NJ got N0X/N1X prefixes, both 201 and 609
areas (for statewide uniformity, I am told), changed their calling
instructions; 0+7D within own area became 0+NPA+7D.

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/26/90)

"DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN)" <DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu> writes:

> You are saying some phones in 408 require you to use 0+NPA+7D if the
> call is wihin 408 area?  And some phones in 408 will not accept this
> particular usage of 0+NPA+7D?  408 area does not have N0X/N1X prefixes
> that I know of, and I am not aware of its calling instructions being
> changed to match those of 415 for "area-wide uniformity".  (This could
> also be a VERY early accounting for the coming of NXX area codes.)

Ok, here's the real poop. First, for those not familiar with the area,
408 is really two planets: northern and southern. The northern part,
which includes San Jose and the Silicon Valley is considered part of
the Greater Bay Area and is part of the San Francisco LATA which
includes all of 415 and all of 707.

The southern part (to the south of the Santa Cruz mountains) is mostly
in the Monterey LATA (except Santa Cruz and Watsonville) and is a
completely different animal. There are no N0X/N1X prefixes anywhere
within 408.

In the north (SF LATA) 408 telephones do not dial "1" for long
distance. The CO switches determine 7/10 digits from the number being
dialed. There is also no delay time out. If the number begins with an
NPA the exchange expects 10d. Otherwise the call is handled
accordingly. My particular CO will absorb a "1", but it is not
required. It will not accept a "1" for a call within 408.

As of this evening, my CO will accept either 0+7D or 0+NPA+7D for
calls within 408. This applies to calls in either SF or Monterey LATA.
Calls that terminate in the Monterey LATA get the KaBong followed by
"AT&T".  For what it's worth, my CO switch is an ANCIENT 1ESS
(probably the skankiest switch in San Jose other than the grossbar.)

South of the Santa Cruz mountains, a "1" IS required for long
distance.  I don't know how 0+ calls are handled. Someone from UC
Santa Cruz could maybe fill us in?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !