[comp.dcom.telecom] 415 0+ Dialing

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu) (DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN) (07/25/90)

Hello Everyone!

A while back the Digest covered 0+ dialing procedures in the 415 (San
Francisco Bay) area, and, from what I recall, it was mentioned that
all local calling in 415 is now in the format 0+415-xxx-xxxx, ie,
there is no 0+xxx-xxxx dialing.

I've been out here for five weeks now, and EVERY phone in 415 (and a
good deal in 408) accept, and most REQUIRE 0-xxx-xxxx dialing when
placing a calling card call within your own area code. I've tried it
from Pac*Bell payphones and COCOTs, as well as from GTE in Novato
(415) and Los Gatos (408). (BTW, I must apologize for some of my
previous cracks about GTE ... I've been used to GTE in the LA area
which is plain awful, whereas GTE in the Bay Area, at least in my
limited experience, seems up to par with Pac*Bell in some areas, and
exceeds Pac*Bell in the speed with which it processes 0+ calls from
its payphones, at least in Novato.)

Additionally, the "#" sign can be used as a terminator for 0+ calls
that are ambiguous. IE, there is a 415-302 exchange, so if I dial
0-302-9999, the exchange doesn't know if I am dialing "415-302-9999"
or "302-999-9xxx", and I just didn't fisnish dialing in the "xxx"
part. So, if you want to dial 415-302-9999 from area code 415 as a
calling card call, you can dial "0-302-9999 #", and the call will go
through to Pac*Bell's calling card equipment much faster.

Anyhow, I've overstayed my welcome at the computer center incurring
large long distance charges from CA, so I best be going ...

If anyone has any info to the contrary, let me know where these
exchanges are so if I pass by I can give 'em a try.

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

P.S. I've been away for five weeks allready, so if anyone from the Digest
sent me any mail, please be patient and I'll try to get back to you
the next time I log in from here. (As if you're waiting on pins and
needles to hear from me...! :-) )

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/26/90)

"DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN)" <DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu> writes:

> (BTW, I must apologize for some of my previous cracks about GTE

Never apologize about GTE put downs. They always deserve it.

> ... I've been used to GTE in the LA area
> which is plain awful, whereas GTE in the Bay Area, at least in my
> limited experience, seems up to par with Pac*Bell in some areas, and
> exceeds Pac*Bell in the speed with which it processes 0+ calls from
> its payphones, at least in Novato.)

You're lucky to find a phone in Los Gatos that works at all.

You mean to say that it's WORSE in LA? How can that be? And in LA you
have the advantage of being somewhere in the same region as their
centralized everything. Also, I'm sure they have heard of equalized
lines, data circuits, OPXs, and tie lines in the southland. There is
so litte demand for that in the sleepy town of Los Gatos that
installers take on their jobs with blank stares.

Live a local call away from Los Gatos and say that again. I dare you.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

ergo@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Isaac Rabinovitch) (07/27/90)

In <10062@accuvax.nwu.edu> DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu) (DOUGLAS SCOTT
REUBEN) writes:

> (BTW, I must apologize for some of my
>previous cracks about GTE ... I've been used to GTE in the LA area
>which is plain awful, whereas GTE in the Bay Area, at least in my
>limited experience, seems up to par with Pac*Bell in some areas, and
>exceeds Pac*Bell in the speed with which it processes 0+ calls from
>its payphones, at least in Novato.)

I dunno.  A few years ago, some GTE employees crashed the
newly-installed digital switch (I'm sure that's not the right telecom
jargon, but you know what I mean) in Los Gatos.  I believe there was
*no* phone service in the entire town for over a day!  Lucky there wer
no fires or anything!

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
atina!pyramid!apple!netcom!ergo		Silicon Valley, CA
uunet!mimsy!ames!claris!netcom!ergo

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/27/90)

Isaac Rabinovitch <ergo@netcom.uucp> writes:

> I dunno.  A few years ago, some GTE employees crashed the
> newly-installed digital switch (I'm sure that's not the right telecom
> jargon, but you know what I mean) in Los Gatos.  I believe there was
> *no* phone service in the entire town for over a day!  Lucky there wer
> no fires or anything!

In all fairness, it was the 1EAX that preceeded the GTD-5 that caused
the Los Gatos town council to resolve that the town no longer desired
to have GTE as the local operating company. There are three COs in Los
Gatos: Town Center (Montebello), Northeast (Vasona), and Mountain.
Town Center was the first to convert from SXS and did so with the
1EAX.  (NE and Mountain converted directly to GTD-5 somewhat later.)

As you might guess, Town Center serves Town Hall, the police, the fire
dept., and all of the quaint touristy businesses near town square.
After the town resolution, many rumors sprang up about the possibility
of Pacific Telesis buying up the GTE system. There were even dates
mentioned. We just KNEW it was going to happen because all of the
(then) local GTE people were so firm in their denials. This HAD to
mean that something was afoot.

Unfortunately, it never happened. Too bad because we missed a great
opportunity to see how a real phone company would handle all that
awful GTE junk.

 From the GTE glossary:

reorder -- end-of-dialing signal

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !