[comp.dcom.telecom] COCOTs, FCC, DPU, etc

monty@sunne.east.sun.com (Monty Solomon - Temp Consultant) (07/21/90)

I wish to complain (loudly) about various local COCOTs practices of
prohibiting access to long distance carriers via 10XXX or 950-10XX and
of disabling the keypad after the call is completed.

Who should I write to?  The FCC?  The local DPU?  Both?

What is the correct person/address to write to at the FCC?

Does anyone have any useful boilerplate to use for such a letter?

Thanks.

# Monty Solomon / <monty@Sunne.East.Sun.COM>

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/21/90)

Monty Solomon - Temp Consultant <monty@sunne.east.sun.com> writes:

> I wish to complain (loudly) about various local COCOTs practices of
> prohibiting access to long distance carriers via 10XXX or 950-10XX and
> of disabling the keypad after the call is completed.

> Who should I write to?  The FCC?  The local DPU?  Both?

Oh, brudder. Get in line. Line forms to the right, down the block,
left at the second star and on till morning. Realistically, don't
bother.  The FCC has on two major occasions admitted that COCOTs
stink. They issued a bunch of guidelines, followed by a bunch of
regulations with no teeth in them. Guess what! No improvement.

I could give you a list a half-inch thick (in fact, the size of the
document I submitted to the CPUC) of COCOT deficiencies. The CPUC sent
me back a form letter thanking me for my thoughts and ASSURED me that
my complaints would be turned over to the appropriate people involved.
That was over two years ago. What's changed? Hint: An infinitely small
number of things.

Oh yes -- the FCC has decreed that COCOTs will allow access to all
long distance carriers doing business in the area. That really got the
COCOT owners worried. I believe the real penalty for non-compliance is
that the FCC will think bad thoughts about the guilty COCOT owner. Has
anyone ever--repeat EVER--found a COCOT that allows 10XXX access to
multiple carriers? I rest my case.

At either the Federal or state level, there will be no change in
COCOTs until the agencies devise some mechanism for detection and
enforcement of rule violations. The ultimate weapon, disconnection of
service, is seldom used since the procedures are so cumbersome and the
real arm of enforcement, the local telco, has many other things to
worry about.  Besides, why would they care? Disconnecting a COCOT
would just mean less revenue. In the meantime, the CPUC's latest
blatherings about new COCOT rules and regulations are just so much hot
air.

Frankly, short of tactics that are not to be mentioned in this forum,
I have pretty much dropped the COCOT cause. The slimeball COCOT owners
are laughing at us all the way to the bank, and the government that
can seize computers, throw rock musicians in jail, grab the life's
work of a San Francisco photographer, etc., etc., is powerless against
the teflon owners and operators of fraudulent one-armed bandits
masquerading as payphones.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

smk@attunix.att.com (S M Krieger) (07/24/90)

> > I wish to complain (loudly) about various local COCOTs practices of
> > prohibiting access to long distance carriers via 10XXX or 950-10XX and
> > of disabling the keypad after the call is completed.

> Oh yes -- the FCC has decreed that COCOTs will allow access to all
> long distance carriers doing business in the area. That really got the
> COCOT owners worried. I believe the real penalty for non-compliance is
> that the FCC will think bad thoughts about the guilty COCOT owner. Has
> anyone ever--repeat EVER--found a COCOT that allows 10XXX access to
> multiple carriers? I rest my case.

When I was in Las Vegas last week, my observation was that at least
75% of the public telephones are COCOTs (CenTel is the local operating
company).  What made things really rough is that the COCOTs I did use
looked like the Bell company phones.

First of all, besides not supporting 10XXX, these phones do not
support 1 (700) 555-2368 either, so users cannot determine the LD
carrier without asking.

Anyway, when I hit "0" and got the CenTel operator, she said she
couldn't connect me to AT&T, and that I should use a CenTel public
phone.  When I then hit "00", I got a recording telling me how to
place the call directly, but to hit a "3" if I need a live person.
Anyway, an ITI operator answered, and I asked to be connected to AT&T;
she did connect me.

Now, I asked the second operator if he was AT&T, and when he said he
was, I placed the call through him, asking for the calling card rate.
So if I do find an AOS charge on my phone bill next month, I will
merely report to NJ Bell about the fraudulent misrepresentation by the
LD carrier, and that they should stop trying to collect the money from
me for the AOS.

Finally, from other sources, I believe the COCOT owner position on LD
selection is that as long as they do connect you, they are in
compliance with the FCC regulations.  Giving customers a choice of LD
carrier doesn't mean they have to support 10XXX.  Also, what the COCOT
owners want for having to support LD carrier selection is payment for
the use of their phone, either in the coin slot or from the selected
LD company.

-- Stan Krieger Summit, NJ
 ...!att!attunix!smk

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/25/90)

S M Krieger <smk@attunix.att.com> writes:

> When I was in Las Vegas last week, my observation was that at least
> 75% of the public telephones are COCOTs

Ain't it the truth. And when looking for a utility phone, you have to
reverse your COCOT detection methods: look for the stupidest
COCOT-looking phone and you probably have found a genuine Centel
phone.

> Anyway, an ITI operator answered, and I asked to be connected to AT&T;
> she did connect me.

ITI is right up there as the worst slimebucket AOS on the planet. I
cannot believe that you were actually connected to AT&T by someone
from that den of thieves.

> Finally, from other sources, I believe the COCOT owner position on LD
> selection is that as long as they do connect you, they are in
> compliance with the FCC regulations.  Giving customers a choice of LD
> carrier doesn't mean they have to support 10XXX.

But what good is carrier selection if there is no standardized way of
doing it? I have been able to coerce COCOTs into giving me the AT&T
operator using a multitude of methods, but I would hardly consider
them to be in compliance with FCC regulations. The average user
shouldn't have to "trick" a phone into giving him the carrier of his
choice.  Asking an AOS operator for another carrier doesn't cut it.

And what if you were a user of some other carrier? How would you place
the call through Sprint? MCI? Telesphere? What if 950 wasn't allowed
(or available)? Unless the slimebuckets can come up with a better
standardized way of selecting a carrier, then I think 10XXX is the
way.  That is the way that the utility phones handle it.

> Also, what the COCOT
> owners want for having to support LD carrier selection is payment for
> the use of their phone, either in the coin slot or from the selected
> LD company.

No tears shed here. In any business there are certain "pro bono" items
that come along. In the COCOT business, one of them is free handling
of 911 calls. If the slimebuckets want people to use THEIR carrier,
how about making it competitive, posting a rate comparison, and using
the generally accepted methods of free market competition rather than
technically preventing people from shopping elsewhere.

No one is holding a gun to a COCOT owner/creep's head forcing him to
stay in that business, ripping off the public. Six years ago, the
business didn't even exist, so there are hardly any family traditions
in danger of upset. If the scum can't make it with local calls and
COMPETITIVE long distance, then replace his garbage with a utility
phone which will serve the public better anyway.

This area of COCOTs is possibly the MFJ's worst legacy. It takes a 100
year tradition of customers dealing directly with a company and
artificially inserts a middleman (the COCOT owner) who SUBTRACTS value
from the service who then expects to be paid handsomely for his
existence. I know of no other industry that has "value-subtracted"
resellers who want such a major piece of the action.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

jmm@uunet.uu.net (John Macdonald) (07/27/90)

In article <10037@accuvax.nwu.edu> smk@attunix.att.com (S M Krieger)
writes:

|When I was in Las Vegas last week, my observation was that at least
|75% of the public telephones are COCOTs (CenTel is the local operating
|company).  What made things really rough is that the COCOTs I did use
|looked like the Bell company phones.

Is it not possible for the Bell companies to sue the COCOTs who do
this sort of thing for copyright/trademark infringement?  Surely they
don't like to have customers compaining about "their" phone booths not
providing proper service, etc.

This comment about (presumably intensional) look-alike phone booths
has been made a number of times in the telecom digest.  It sounds like
a widespread practice across much of the US - has anyone heard of a
Bell company taking action?

John Macdonald
 jmm@eci386