[comp.dcom.telecom] Security Risks Using IBM's RSCS-to-RSCS?

joe jesson <jej@chinet.chi.il.us> (07/22/90)

 I am trying to ascertain the security risks of installing an
RSCS-to-RSCS link from our large (very) SNA network to IBM's
Information Network (IN) to be used for E-Mail (IBM's Expdedite Mail).
The fear is not knowing how a hacker can bring down my network from
IBM's network. Specifically, I remember the infamous "Christmas Card"
sent to all users on IBM's network.

What can be done through RSCS? My network has 30,000 PROFS users on
VM.

Any hackers or security buffs willing to tell?

joe

"Craig R. Watkins" <CRW@icf.hrb.com> (07/28/90)

In article <10008@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jej@chinet.chi.il.us (joe jesson)
writes:

> The fear is not knowing how a hacker can bring down my network from
> IBM's network. Specifically, I remember the infamous "Christmas Card"
> sent to all users on IBM's network.

The "Christmas Card" was basically a program (an "EXEC" or a "command
procedure") that was sent to a few random users.  These users, without
knowing what it did executed it.

The beginning of the file said "LET THIS EXEC RUN AND ENJOY YOURSELF."
When it was run, it printed out a character-based X-mas tree and and a
nice holiday wish.  The program then looked up the network addresses
of the user's "friends" in their address book (NAMES file in VM terms)
and looked up addresses in the user's network file log file (NETLOG).
It then sent a copy of itself to all of these people.

The neat (?) thing about this is that while you may be the mildly
suspicious type, you may run a program without checking it if it came
from your boss/wife/system manager/secretary/butler.

The program did no other "damage"; it didn't delete files or change
data, etc.  It just replicated itself.  It was reported, however, that
this was enough to clog up some decent size networks.

> What can be done through RSCS? My network has 30,000 PROFS users on
> VM.

RSCS is fairly straightforward since you can only SEND things.  You
can send files.  You can send messages.  You can send commands.  That
doesn't leave much to protect against.  One thing to note when you
configure your RSCS is to be careful when you allow remote users
access to RSCS configuration commands and especially CP commands thru
the AUTH statement.  Be aware that given full access to a remote
system and possibly the code of the networking software, it would be
possible to "spoof" your network identity.  Either don't allow such
remote operators (as I believe they are called) or guard their
identities are you would as password.

> Any hackers or security buffs willing to tell?

Nope.  Just someone who's written some RSCS emulation code.