[comp.dcom.telecom] Asking For the Right Thing

Rob Warnock <rpw3%rigden.wpd@sgi.com> (07/27/90)

For some reason, the articles about rates for "phone as intercom"
reminds me of a situation some 26 years ago...

I was a freshman at Emory University in Atlanta, and a guy named Jeff
Miller had interested a bunch of us in starting a campus radio
station. It was to be an unlicensed carrier-current station; that is,
the modulated R.F. would be fed into the 60 Hz A.C. power mains wires
at a fairly low level, and only receivers in the same building (near
the wires) could pick up the signal.  [This is quite legal if you obey
certain restrictions in "Part 15" of the FCC Rules and Regulations.] I
was to be the "chief engineer" of the station.

Because the step-down power transformers in each building have massive
amounts of iron in them, they tend to do a pretty good job of blocking
R.F., so we needed a way to get the signal into each building we
wanted to serve (dorms, mostly). Some campus carrier-current stations
generate R.F. in a central location, and then distribute it via coax
cables to each building, where it's fed into the power lines behind
the step-down transformers. We chose not to do that because of the
very high cost of the coax and the installation of same. [We were on a
*tiny* budget -- we built *everything*, including the transmitters,
sound-proofed studios, studio consoles, fast-attack limiters, the
works. What we didn't build we begged from area radio stations. "Give
us your old, your tired, your junk!"]

Also, we knew (from investigation) that the campus had been wired with
plenty of pairs by Southern Bell, who had a "frame room" (in an area
they rented from the University, behind the cafeteria) where all the
wires went. The "frame room" was also where the PBX for the campus was
located -- a kind of hybrid: about a dozen manual-operator plug-board
stations for incoming calls [the operators were University employees],
and some step-by-step gear for internal and outgoing calls. [They
later went Centrex, long after I'd graduated.] So we figured we'd rent
pairs from Southern Bell, and use them to distribute audio from the
studio out to twelve small transmitters, one in each dorm. We thought
we knew all the technical details: A.F. signals no more than +8 dBm (0
dBm preferred), D.C. less than 100 v. (48v. preferred), etc.  So all
we had to do was order them.

Riiight...

As it turned out, our first mistake was mentioning the word "radio"
anywhere within a mile of a Southern Bell sales representative. "A
radio station? Oh, you'll want AAA Grade or AA Grade lines, depending
on whether you want us to equalize to 20 kHz or not. FM stations
usually go with the AAA. Let's see, that's $6.00 per 1/4-mile (airline
miles) per month for the AAA, and $5.00 for the AA. It's about 6 miles
from your studio to the central office, and about the same back, so
that'll be about 12 x 12 x 4 x 6 = $3456 per month for the AAA, or
$2880 per month for the AA.  We can get a more exact price for you
after the installer works up the numbers. Which would you like?"

After we came recovered from the first heart attacks of our young
lives (almost ended them right there!), we thanked her very kindly [it
usually was a "her", in those days], and said we'd call back, and
started looking for some *HEELLLLP*!

Another classmate, Bob Brown, then demonstrated to me to a skill which
has served me in good stead ever since: How to "walk an organization"
on the telephone. [Never mind that it was Southern Bell we were
"walking", it still worked.] Others have mentioned it in Telecom: Each
time you talk to anyone, very politely but firmly find out their name,
their position, and their supervisor's name & posiition, and if
possible do this *before* you give them too much detail about what
you're asking for. Then don't hesitate to ask to speak to
<supervisor's name> as soon as you experience any significant
balking/waffling/evasion.

Using this time-honored technique, we slowly walked up the
organization of Southern Bell, getting the same story at each level
($thousands/month), but determined that there just *had* to be some
way to rent a few of those idle pairs direct from the studio to the
frame room to the dorms (none of this dead-heading out to the CO), and
affordably, too.

Finally we got an appointment to see a "Vice-President" [I forget of
what] in person. And finally we struck paydirt (or at least a
sympathetic ear).  After listening to our whole long story [about as
long as this message ;-} ], he gave us the following instructions: "Go
back home and call up the New Service number, just as if you'd never
done any of this before. Tell them you want to rent some 'E Grade or
Message Grade pairs, for an intercom.'  Give them the building and
room numbers, and whatever you do, *don't* mention the word 'radio'.
Those E Grade pairs will be routed directly through your frame room,
without going off campus. The price will be $0.75 per 1/4-*wire*-mile,
not airline mile, which will be a little longer, but at least you
won't be paying deadhead to the CO. We don't guarantee any frequency
response for E Grade, but with lines that short, it should be fine for
carrier-current A.M., which isn't going to be super-high fidelity
anyway. So go try it just the way I said, and it should work."

So we did, and it did.

Among the twleve pairs we totalled just under seven "wire-miles", and
our bill was somewhere around $20 a month.

So I learned several important things in college, even if there was
never a class on them: (1) How to "walk an organization" on the phone,
(2) To be careful what you ask for, you might get it, and (3) If it
looks "reasonable", you probably have to ask for something
"unreasonable" to get what you want.

Next week's lessons: "17 Ways a Telephone Installer Can Miss the
Special-Service Tags on Your Lines and Give the Pairs Away to
Somebody's Telephone."  "A Toolbelt, a Plaid Wool Shirt, and Blue
Jeans: Your Badge to the Frame Room."  And a bonus special, "How to
Place a Service Call Against Telco Internal Cross-Connects Without
Making Anyone Suspicious About How You Knew the Trouble Just So
Happened to be Right *There*."

Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510	  rpw3@sgi.com	   rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.	  (415)335-1673	   Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.   Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (07/28/90)

In article <10186@accuvax.nwu.edu>, rpw3%rigden.wpd@sgi.com (Rob
Warnock) writes:

> Next week's lessons: "17 Ways a Telephone Installer Can Miss the
> Special-Service Tags on Your Lines and Give the Pairs Away to
> Somebody's Telephone."

In college, we had this problem all the time.  We had dedicated pairs
to the building where basketball was played so that we could do
broadcasts.  (We got in on the same rate structure that Rob talked
about since the wires never left the "customer premises.")

We knew that our pairs were often given out so we would check the line
before an event.  One such Saturday at 2AM (college, remember?) we
checked the line and we were not surprised to find it down.  At 2AM,
do you call repair and tell them your intercom line isn't working and
have them promise to have it fixed by 5PM on Monday?  No, you call the
Radio/TV Special Services line, which we did.  Bell had someone out
(of bed) in about an hour to fix the line.  We ran our tests and were
happy that we were ready for the game coming up within hours.  Another
example of "asking for the right thing."

While looking for our line in the press box, we would find that the
other stations had their stations' broadcast audio on their pairs.  We
soon realized that this was a neat way to identify who's line was
whose AND a great way to keep the installers from mistaking your pair
for being "unused" between events.

Craig R. Watkins		Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    		Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311			UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw