[comp.dcom.telecom] Touchtone History

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (07/07/90)

	When were the first touchtone phones installed?  I always
thought the answer was that were introduced at the 1964/65 New York
World's Fair.  The fair opened in the summer of 64, so those were
probably installed in late 63 or early 64.

	However, I recently watched a documentary about the
desegregation of the University of Alabama (the incident in which
Governor George Wallace vowed to "stand in the schoolhouse door" to
prevent two black students from registering for classes) which proves
me wrong on that theory.  A touch-tone phone was clearly visible in
President Kennedy's oval office in numerious bits of footage shot at
the time.  The year was 1963 and the students were trying to register
for the summer session, so I would put the date at about May or June
1963.  The phone that Kennedy used most of the time was a multi-line
key set with a rotary dial (looked like about 25 lines) and a
speakerphone attachment.  Sitting on the table behind his chair were
about 3 or 4 single line desk sets, one touch-tone, the rest rotary.
Was touch-tone in general use in May 1963, or did the President just
have a pre-release model?

	Another bit of interesting telecom related trivia was a shot
of the US Deputy Attourny General (I forget his name) on location at
the U of A wanting to place a private phone call to JFK to discuss
tactics as the situation developed.  You see him getting into his car
and asking (telling, really) the press to get back so he can have some
privacy.  Then you see another shot of him, sitting in the car,
talking on the phone.  You clearly hear him saying something like "OK,
they can't hear me now", and clearly hear JFK's voice responding!
This is all real on-location footage, not some recreation.  It's not
clear if the phone line was tapped, there was a bug in the car, some
sound man had a good parabolic mike, or if some reporter had simply
slipped a mike into the car window without the DAG noticing.

johns@scroff.uk.sun.com (John Slater) (07/09/90)

In article <9482@accuvax.nwu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy
Smith) writes:

>Sitting on the table behind his chair were
>about 3 or 4 single line desk sets, one touch-tone, the rest rotary.

Er, shouldn't that be "one push-button, the rest rotary"?  Unless you
heard the tones when JFK made a call, it could just be a
pulse-dialler.  In the UK, push-button pulse-dialling phones have been
around for years, long before touch-tone came along.

John Slater
Sun Microsystems UK, Gatwick Office

Clive Feather <clive@ixi-limited.co.uk> (07/10/90)

In vol 10 issue 468 roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) says:

> When were the first touchtone phones installed?

> A touch-tone phone was clearly visible in President Kennedy's oval
> office

> Sitting on the table behind his chair were
> about 3 or 4 single line desk sets, one touch-tone, the rest rotary.
> Was touch-tone in general use in May 1963, or did the President just
> have a pre-release model?

I presume it had buttons. Why assume it was touch-tone ? The UK had
push-button pulse dial phones for a *long* time before DTMF signalling
arrived (I don't recall hearing of DTMF in the UK before 1986, while
push button phones were around in the early 70's. Anyone remember the
Trimphone ?).

Clive D.W. Feather            | IXI Limited
clive@x.co.uk [x, not ixi]    | 62-74 Burleigh St.
 ...!uunet!ixi!clive          | Cambridge   CB1 1OJ
Phone: +44 223 462 131        | United Kingdom

Jim Budler <jimb@silvlis.com> (07/11/90)

In article <9533@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Slater <johns@scroff.uk.
sun.com> writes:

>In article <9482@accuvax.nwu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy
>Smith) writes:

>>Sitting on the table behind his chair were
>>about 3 or 4 single line desk sets, one touch-tone, the rest rotary.

>Er, shouldn't that be "one push-button, the rest rotary"?  Unless you

It was probably a Department of Defense phone. These phones looked
like touch-tone, made noises *similar* to touch-tone, but were on the
private DOD Autovon network. They were not pulse dialers. To my
uneducated ear they were DTMF, but they were definately tone dialers.
They had four extra keys for setting call priority. We had a similar
setup to the one described for JFK at a radar site i.e. 'normal'
phones, dial at that time, and in certain command centers, commanders
offices, communications centers, etc. an additional Autovon phone, as
described.

Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6061
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (07/11/90)

In article <9533@accuvax.nwu.edu>, johns@scroff.uk.sun.com (John
Slater) writes:

> In article <9482@accuvax.nwu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy
> Smith) writes:

> >Sitting on the table behind his chair were
> >about 3 or 4 single line desk sets, one touch-tone, the rest rotary.

> Er, shouldn't that be "one push-button, the rest rotary"?  Unless you
> heard the tones when JFK made a call, it could just be a
> pulse-dialler.  In the UK, push-button pulse-dialling phones have been
> around for years, long before touch-tone came along.

	No, it shouldn't. Because the Brit public was exposed to nasty
"Push-to-Pulse" phones before touch-tone does not mean that is the
history of the technology.

	From a UK perspective, I had a Plessey touch-tone phone in
1979-80.  It now resides in the Macassey garage and junk store
alongside a push-to-pulse "warble-phone". In the UK, touch-tone has
been available on TXE-4, System-X and AXE-10 exchanges. On the TXE-4
exchange you have to ask them to turn it on. Yes dear U.S. readers,
it's free.  British Telecom has not promoted touch-tone in the U.K.
Many U.K.  residents seeing touch-tone phones on TV have assumed they
were push-to-pulse. A couple of years ago my brother in law wandered
into the Canterbury British Telecom phone store and asked to buy a
touch-tone or "MF" phone. The assistant was not sure what he wanted so
called a technician. He told my brother in law that touch-tone was
"Not available, and doesn't work here." I send him touch-tone phones
from the US that work just fine on his TXE-4 exchange.

	Anyhow, touch-tone in the U.S. The early push-button phones in
the U.S. were all touch-tone. The early dials had only 10 buttons - no
* and #. They produced tones with "plucked reeds". I have never
examined one of these, just seen pictures, they must have been
mechanical nightmares. Later versions used LC oscillators using a
transistor and pot core coils. These dials had several contacts for
muting, row and column etc. The latest dials use an IC and a color TV
crystal (3.58 Mhz) as the frequency element. The IC dials have fewer
switch contacts (one set per digit) than the old dials so are cheaper
to manufacture.

	The push-to-pulse dials are also based on ICs. They usually
have a strapping option for make/break ratio and most will do a "Last
Number Redial". This is usually done by pushing the * key which of
course represents nothing in the pulse world. The push-to-pulse dial
as I recall came into use in the early eighties, twenty years after
touch-tone.

	Push-to-pulse has caused much confusion, with people thinking
it is touch tone etc. Only a cynic would say that it was intended to
confuse. One of the reasons that all the junk far east phones were
push-to-pulse was that is what they understood and could test on their
phone lines. It is actually cheaper to make an IC touch-tone dial than
a push-to-pulse jobbie.

> Sun Microsystems UK, Gatwick Office
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	When I lived a few miles from here (Leigh) we had a manual
exchange as did Redhill, the big town up the road. This was in the
early sixties when they had touch-tone in the U.S.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (07/11/90)

My parents recently got a pushbutton phone which is on a non-touch-
tone line.  The phone has a switch for pulse or tone, and you must
call using pulse (attempting to use tone will not break the dial
tone), but you can then switch to tone for subsequent touch-tone
inputs (including the self service credit-card-number entry).

martin@bellcore.bellcore.com (Martin Harriss) (07/11/90)

In article <9570@accuvax.nwu.edu> clive@ixi-limited.co.uk (Clive
Feather) writes:

>The UK had push-button pulse dial phones for a *long* time before
>DTMF signalling arrived.
>Anyone remember the Trimphone ?

Unfortunately, I do.  They were horrid things.  The Trimphone was the
PO's attempt to give customers something other than the run of the
mill 700 type telephone. Trimphones did, in fact, have rotary dials
when they were first introduced, sometime in the late 60's.  It was
sometime later when the push button pulse dial models came out.

We had a trimphone put in when we moved in '68.  In those days the PO
owned the phones.  It had a "modern" look and the dial was luminous so
you could find it in the dark.

The main problem was that the mic was stuck up near the top of the
handset.  You spoke into the mouthpiece, and your voice travelled up
the inside of the handset to the mic.  Having your voice sent up a
hollow tube in this fashion was probably not good, but even worse was
the fact that in this particular orientation the carbon granules(!) in
the mic would stick in a particular way that made it sound like you
had a perpetual cold.  Banging the handset periodically would help,
but not for long.

When we eventually figured out what was wrong, we had the unit swapped
for a new one, and it was ok for a while.  I found that the mic in the
new unit was quite sensitive at 2280Hz.

Martin Harriss
martin@cellar.bae.bellcore.com

bobk@ncar.ucar.edu (Robert Kinne) (07/12/90)

In article <9569@accuvax.nwu.edu> Jim Budler <jimb@silvlis.com>
writes:

>It was probably a Department of Defense phone. These phones looked
>like touch-tone, made noises *similar* to touch-tone, but were on the
>private DOD Autovon network. They were not pulse dialers. To my
>uneducated ear they were DTMF, but they were definately tone dialers.
>They had four extra keys for setting call priority. We had a similar

Autovon phones had (have still, as far as I know) a 4x4 key matrix
instead of the 4x3 on conventional DTMF.  Used in normal mode, Autovon
phones have the same sets of frequencies that normal DTMF uses.  The
fourth column provides four levels of priority, and uses an additional
tone making four new DTMF combinations.  If memory serves, Autovon was
linked to the public network, but also had dedicated private trunks to
be used for priority calls.  All of this may be out of date, since my
information is a few years old.

tep@tots.logicon.com (Tom Perrine) (07/13/90)

AT&T's latest ad for their FAX machines shows a "family tree". The
picture of the Touch Tone (tm) phone is dated 1964.

Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon                                 |UUCP: nosc!hamachi!tots!tep
Tactical and Training Systems Division  |-or-  sun!suntan!tots!tep
San Diego CA                            |GENIE: T.PERRINE

marking@uunet.uu.net> (07/13/90)

) sun.com> writes:

) >In article <9482@accuvax.nwu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy
) >Smith) writes:

  (don't you love this...?)

) >>Sitting on the table behind his chair were
) >>about 3 or 4 single line desk sets, one touch-tone, the rest rotary.

) It was probably a Department of Defense phone. These phones looked
) like touch-tone, made noises *similar* to touch-tone, but were on the
) private DOD Autovon network. They were not pulse dialers. To my
) uneducated ear they were DTMF, but they were definately tone dialers.
) They had four extra keys for setting call priority....

Each of the buttons makes two tones, one based on row and one based on
column, selected so as not to be harmonics of each other. (Hence
*Dual* Tone Multi Frequency.) The frequencies are:

			1209	1336	1477	1653 Hz
		697 Hz	 1	 2	 3	 A
		770 Hz	 4	 5	 6	 B
		852 Hz	 7	 8	 9	 C
		941 Hz	 *	 0	 #	 D

Most phones don't use the last column, but CCITT defines it.

rlg@uunet.uu.net (Randy Gregor) (07/16/90)

And in article <9706@accuvax.nwu.edu>, drivax!marking@uunet.uu.net
(M.Marking) writes:

> Each of the buttons makes two tones, one based on row and one based on
> column, selected so as not to be harmonics of each other. (Hence
> *Dual* Tone Multi Frequency.) The frequencies are:

> 			1209	1336	1477	1653 Hz
> 		697 Hz	 1	 2	 3	 A
> 		770 Hz	 4	 5	 6	 B
> 		852 Hz	 7	 8	 9	 C
> 		941 Hz	 *	 0	 #	 D
>
> Most phones don't use the last column, but CCITT defines it.

Many of the commercial DTMF generator chips have (or at least did
have) the extended fourth column capability - it's just not used much
(if at all) in consumer applications.

I have a phone manufactured in 1979 with a Mostek MK5092N tone
generator (same as National Semiconductor TP5092).  To get the column
four tones, I added a SPDT switch to select between pins 5 and 9, thus
toggling the third physical keypad column between "normal" column 3
tones (1477 Hz) and extended column 4 tones (1633 Hz, according to
National's Linear Data Book).

Randy Gregor
uunet!paralogics!compsm!rlg +1 213 477 4338
Computersmith   Box 25d  Los Angeles, CA  90025

Maynard) (07/16/90)

In article <9706@accuvax.nwu.edu> drivax!marking@uunet.uu.net writes:

>) It was probably a Department of Defense phone. These phones looked
>) like touch-tone, made noises *similar* to touch-tone, but were on the
>) private DOD Autovon network.

>Each of the buttons makes two tones, one based on row and one based on
>column, selected so as not to be harmonics of each other. (Hence
>*Dual* Tone Multi Frequency.) The frequencies are:
>			1209	1336	1477	1653 Hz
>		697 Hz	 1	 2	 3	 A
>		770 Hz	 4	 5	 6	 B
>		852 Hz	 7	 8	 9	 C
>		941 Hz	 *	 0	 #	 D
>Most phones don't use the last column, but CCITT defines it.

You'll find that almost all amateur radio DTMF keypads have the fourth
column in place; those tones are extensively used for remote control
purposes on amateur VHF/UHF-FM.

The DOD keypads did use the standard CCITT DTMF tones. I know of
several hams who have surplus four-column DOD keypads, and use them
interchangeably with the regular kind. They're nice, too, being
backlit and easy to see in the dark. The fourth column is labeled
Fo/F/I/P instead of A/B/C/D, for Flash Override, Flash, Immediate, and
Priority.  Instead of * and #, it has a five-pointed star (general
priority? :-) and A (no idea what this one's for).

Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL
jay@splut.conmicro.com

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu> (07/23/90)

(M.Marking) writes:

> *Dual* Tone Multi Frequency.) The frequencies are:
>
> 			1209	1336	1477	1653 Hz
                                                ^^^^WRONG!

Actually, the fourth column tone is 1633 Hz.

marking@uunet.uu.net (M.Marking) (07/24/90)

) (M.Marking) writes:

) > *Dual* Tone Multi Frequency.) The frequencies are:
) >
) > 			1209	1336	1477	1653 Hz
)                                                 ^^^^WRONG!

) Actually, the fourth column tone is 1633 Hz.

You seem to be right.

My reference was page 88 of "Telecommunications Switching" by J.
Gordon Pearce, Plenum Press, 1981.

It seems I reached for the wrong reference first. 1633 Hz is the
choice of:

	den Heijer and Tolsma, Data Communications, Glentop, 1986

	Martin, Introduction to Teleprocessing, Prentice-Hall, 1972

	Signetics, TEA1046 data sheet, 1985

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the Standard.

So 1633 Hz wins over 1653 Hz by 3 to 1.

I offer my apologies.

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Tad Cook) (07/31/90)

In article <10035@accuvax.nwu.edu>, drivax!marking@uunet.uu.net
(M.Marking) writes:

> ssc!tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Tad Cook) writes:

> ) In article <9706@accuvax.nwu.edu>, drivax!marking@uunet.uu.net
> ) (M.Marking) writes:

> ) > *Dual* Tone Multi Frequency.) The frequencies are:
> ) >
> ) > 			1209	1336	1477	1653 Hz
> )                                                 ^^^^WRONG!

> ) Actually, the fourth column tone is 1633 Hz.

> You seem to be right. It seems I reached for the wrong reference
> first. 1633 Hz is the choice of:

(lists three references)

These typos are common throughout the technical references.  Another
one that is frequently misstated is 1477 Hz, which is often misprinted
as 1447 Hz.  I think REFERENCE DATA FOR RADIO ENGINEERS had that one a
few years ago, and other folks spread it from there.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA   Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544 	 telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad     or, tad@ssc.UUCP