[comp.dcom.telecom] The Vanishing Bell Payphone

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/31/90)

On Jul 29 at 22:35, TELECOM Moderator writes:

> [Moderator's Note: Telecom*USA only charges $2.75 for their 800
> numbers, which simply camp on whatever number you designate. And yes,
> they *are still being marketed*, although they are rather low-key
> about it. And when using a genuine Bell payphone, there is no access
> charge to contend with either.   PT]

But, sad to say, there may come a time when the "genuine Bell
payphone" may be but a memory. A major objection to COCOTs by those of
us who cared was that we forsaw a time when they would displace the
real thing. Instead of more public phones being made available with
the advent of COCOTs, there are fewer -- and a larger and larger
percentage of those that remain are one-armed bandits.

At least weekly it seems that some familiar old Pac*Bell payphone
bites the dust. Today it was the venerable phones outside of Orchard
Supply Hardware (a local chain of stores). Virtually all of the
supermarkets have fallen, as have gas stations, restaurants, shopping
centers, and most street locations. One of Diane Feinstein's last
official acts as Mayor of San Francisco was to sign a deal with
"PayTel" to provide "enhanced service" coin phones for the MUNI bus
stops throughout the city. Now, years later, most of those phones have
yet to be installed, the bus stop structures sporting empty holes
where the phones are supposed to go.

This MUNI deal was particularly scary since it was the first known (at
least by me) incursion of COCOTs into the world of public
transportation. In the paid areas of the MUNI Metro subway stations
and in the BART stations there are, to this day, Pac*Bell phones. This
is as it should be. How would you like to be a fare-paying rider,
trapped in the train station, and have the only telephone available a
rotten COCOT? At least at the bus stops, the customer isn't trapped
(if he doesn't mind missing the bus).

When the day comes that I am running to board the "L" Metro and my
gaze falls upon a "SlimeyTel" where a Pac*Bell phone used to be, I
will consider the battle to be over and lost. I'm afraid that someday
we WILL see the last of the utility payphone.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !