[comp.dcom.telecom] Answer Supervision on International Calls

david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) (07/18/90)

Here in Wollongong, Australia we have just got fully itemised
international phone bills. A collegue of mine on the same exchange as
me makes numerous calls to the USA. His bill lists a number of four
second calls. We think these are calls that were never answered at the
US end.

Do international calls have answer supervision? Does it depend on
which telco is responsible for the subscriber in the USA?

David Wilson	david@wraith.cs.uow.edu.au

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/19/90)

David E. A. Wilson <david@cs.uow.edu.au> writes:

> Do international calls have answer supervision? Does it depend on
> which telco is responsible for the subscriber in the USA?

Yes, of course international calls have supervision. With money like
that at stake, do you think they would "guess" whether to charge or
not?:-) Seriously, however, I can tell you for an absolute fact that
international calls (including those to Australia) supervise quite
reliably.

It may be that your local situation is not handling the supervision
properly for billing purposes. The local telco is getting the answer
indication back from the US; you should ask them why the problem with
your bills.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (07/30/90)

In article <9925@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon writes:

>David E. A. Wilson <david@cs.uow.edu.au> writes:
>> Do international calls have answer supervision? Does it depend on
>> which telco is responsible for the subscriber in the USA?

>It may be that your local situation is not handling the supervision
>properly for billing purposes. The local telco is getting the answer
>indication back from the US; you should ask them why the problem with
>your bills.

When I was in Australia in 1987, I observed that international calls,
as I think with other calls (at least STD calls), from pay stations,
were charged the initial 30c rate if allowed to ring more than a
certain number (something on the order of one minute), whether or not
answered.  However, they seemed to grab the coins immediately on
connection if the call completed.

My guess: they get answer supervision just fine, but charge you anyway
if you wait too long for a connection.

Linc Madison   =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu

Colin Plumb <colin@array.uucp> (07/31/90)

In article <10246@accuvax.nwu.edu> rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc
Madison) writes:

> When I was in Australia in 1987, I observed that international calls,
> as I think with other calls (at least STD calls), from pay stations,
> were charged the initial 30c rate if allowed to ring more than a
> certain number (something on the order of one minute), whether or not
> answered.  However, they seemed to grab the coins immediately on
> connection if the call completed.

Perhaps they've found international answer supervision to be just a trifle
flaky, so they apply a generous timeout to catch those cases?

Colin