[comp.dcom.telecom] Die Hard 2 Dies on Telecom

blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake Farenthold) (07/09/90)

Over the holiday I saw Die Harder: Die Hard 2.  When you go, leave
your telecom background at home.  You know you are in for it when you
see 2 telecom 'continuity' errors within the first five minutes...

        1) Bruce Willis uses a PAC*BELL payphone in what is supposed
to be Dullas airport in Washington DC.

        2) Bruce Willas uses the PAC*BELL payphone to make a call TO
an AirPhone (the phones that are springing up on airplanes that only
allow OUTGOING calls)

Later in the movie we see Willis FAX fingerprints to LA for
identification.  I wish my FAXes came in clear enough to ID a
fingerprint.  I can usually can barely read them ... and that's when
they are sent in FINE mode.

I can understand accepting the BIG flaws as a necessary 'willing
suspension of the little things' right.  I'll take the job for half a
mil on Die Hard 3 ... so if any of the Digest readers have some
Hollywood connections...

    UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake
Internet: blake@pro-party.cts.com

Blake Farenthold         | Voice: 800/880-1890     |  MCI: BFARENTHOLD
1200 MBank North         |   Fax: 512/889-8686     |  CIS: 70070,521
Corpus Christi, TX 78471 |   BBS: 512/882-1899     |  GEnie: BLAKE

bob@morningstar.com (07/12/90)

In Volume 10, Issue 472, Message 1 of 12  blake@pro-party.cts.com
(Blake Farenthold) writes:

>When you go, leave your telecom background at home...

Leave your aviation background at home too.  The two technologies that
were pivotal to the plot, laying the foundation for the rest of the
action, both got pretty well butchered.  Ah, Hollywood!

I'll take the [tech continuity] job for half a mil on Die Hard 3...

You do the telecom stuff, I'll do the airplane stuff.  It'll be a
boring, but correct, box office flop :-)

bobk@ncar.ucar.edu (Robert Kinne) (07/12/90)

In article <9565@accuvax.nwu.edu> blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake
Farenthold) writes:

>1) Bruce Willis uses a PAC*BELL payphone in what is supposed
>to be Dullas airport in Washington DC.

Most of the airport scenes for this movie were shot at Stapleton in
Denver.  Two reasons; Dulles didn't want the semblance of terrorist
activity, and Stapleton has one ramp that is nearly idle, and could be
used for filming.  Denver, of course, is in US West turf.  I can only
surmise that either 1) the movie had an arrangement with PacBell to
show their logo, or 2) the scene in question was shot in LA, before or
after the airport shots.  I probably will never see this movie, for a
variety of reasons, but perhaps frequent Stapleton travelers who watch
it could provide more detailed info on the payphone scene.

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Tad Cook) (07/17/90)

Farenthold) writes:

> Over the holiday I saw Die Harder: Die Hard 2.  When you go, leave
> your telecom background at home.  You know you are in for it when you
> see 2 telecom 'continuity' errors within the first five minutes...

I haven't seen the second movie, but in the first Bruce was using
Kenwood 440 MHz handie talkies that allowed him to 1) talk to the
terrorists 2) talk to the police 3) talk on CB channel 9 (!)  4)
operate full duplex, hands free when he was digging glass out` of his
feet!

Hams got a real kick out of this, and there was quite a discussion on
rec.ham-radio about this.

{Cinefex Magazine} had a great article last year about the making of Die
Hard, in which they showed how they used radio controlled helicopters
and models for the effects.  Neat!

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

Douglas Terrebonne <dougt@zorch.sf-bay.org> (07/31/90)

Same situation with DH II ... Except now they have upgraded the 440Mhz
HTs to Kenwood TH-45ATs!

   Doug - N6VMI