[comp.dcom.telecom] Telephone/Fax Switch Boxes and Ringback Tone

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (08/01/90)

In article <10235@accuvax.nwu.edu> gammafax!mikes@uunet.uu.net (mike
spann) writes:

> I have seen two common types phone/fax switch boxes.

> The other box (and the one I would select) uses the little known fact
> that audio energy is carried down the phone line when the phone is
> ringing.  (This is commonly known to thiefs who sometimes talk to each
> other without answering the phone).  An automatic fax machine sends a
> calling tone every three seconds while waiting for the phone to be
> answered.  The phone/fax switch box listens on the line for this
> 'calling tone' and routes the call to the fax machine if one is heard.
> The box never answers the phone which I consider an advantage.  This
> way you can have a real-live phone the voice connection and a fax
> machine on the other.  People don't have to pay to call when you
> aren't home.

	With the exception of certain electromechanical CO's such as
SxS, XY and No. 1 XBAR (probably not No. 5 XBAR unless it is *really*
old), there is *no* audio path created between the calling and called
parties prior to answer and ring trip.  No commercial telephone/fax
switch box would rely upon a mode of operation which probably exists
in less than 5% of all CO's in North America.  Such an audio path only
existed when audible harmonics from ringing current were coupled back
to the calling party using a capacitor to provide ringback tone.  Such
ringback tone varied in intensity with the called party loop length
and number of connected ringers, creating a disadvantage.  The use of
the CCITT 440/480 Hz tones for ringback required a separate ringback
tone generator and a different circuit which no longer created the
above audio path.  Most No. 5 XBAR CO's were modified during the
1960's to provide the above precise ringback tone.

	What the above telephone/fax switch boxes do is answer the
line as soon as possible (i.e., on the first ring), and then supply
their *own* ringback tone.  Therefore, not only is an audio path
created by conventional answer, but the call is certainly not "free".

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
     {boulder||decvax||rutgers||watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
VOICE: 716/688-1231 || FAX: 716/741-9635  {utzoo||uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

David E A Wilson <david@cs.uow.edu.au> (08/02/90)

kitty!larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) writes:

>Such an audio path only
>existed when audible harmonics from ringing current were coupled back
>to the calling party using a capacitor to provide ringback tone.  Such
>ringback tone varied in intensity with the called party loop length
>and number of connected ringers, creating a disadvantage.  The use of
>the CCITT 440/480 Hz tones for ringback required a separate ringback
>tone generator and a different circuit which no longer created the
>above audio path.  Most No. 5 XBAR CO's were modified during the
>1960's to provide the above precise ringback tone.

Here in Australia, I have noticed that with my parents phone, the ring
sound that the caller gets depends on the phone plugged into the
socket (phones that chirp and phones that ring a bell sound different
to the caller).

Would this tend to indicate the vintage of their exchange?

David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong	david@cs.uow.edu.au