[comp.dcom.telecom] FTS = Fouled-up Telephone System

davidb@pacer.uucp (David Barts) (07/30/90)

> Mention of the photo of JFK's desk brings a piece of trivia to mind.
> FTS, the Federal Telephone System, the large disjoint system that {in
> theory!} provides intra-government telecommunications, came about
> because at the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis, he could not, at a
> critical juncture, get a dial tone!

Actually, FTS stands for Federal Tieline System.  And what is a
tieline?  A tieline is a piece of substandard quality string that when
used to connect two soup can `telephones' has broken repeatedly and
has had to be tied together in numerous places :-).

Seriously, though I clearly remember the name from when I worked for a
government contractor and had the misfortune of having to use FTS when
I made long-distance calls in the course of my job.  I'm sure many
readers know what a tieline really is, so we'll find out.

An FTS phone will have both a normal area code and phone number (that
can be called like any other phone) and a seven-digit FTS number.  The
last four digits of the FTS and normal phone numbers have always been
the same on every phone I've seen (505-667-8463 or FTS 843-8463).  DOE
Richland uses 509-373 and 509-376, which correspond to FTS 440 and 444
(I think 373 is 440, but I don't remember for sure).  Dialing from one
government site to another requires only seven digits after accessing
the FTS dial tone.  FTS can also be used to call non-FTS phones if you
dial the area code and phone number, in which case I was told that FTS
would route the call as far as it could, then use a conventional
carrier for the remainder of the connection.

My first experience with FTS was when the contractor called me up to
do a phone interview before deciding to spend money on a plane ticket
to fly me out for a real interview.  The audio quality was atrocious
 -- definitely the worst-sounding long-distance call I had heard up to
that time.  There was lots of static on the line, the other party's
voice was so faint, I could barely hear what he was saying.  To make
matters worse, the circuit sounded like it had a VOX on it that was
set with the threshold too high, so I only heard about half of each
Arts?" instead of "Hello, is this Mister Barts?".

Naturally, it would be impossible to conduct a meaningful interview
with such a bad connection, so I told my prospective boss to call
back.  He said that FTS always sounded this way, so it probably
wouldn't make a difference but he'd hang up and try again just the
same.  He was right, no improvement.  The interview proceeded like
this: he asks me a question, I YELL "What?  Please repeat that!" into
the receiver.  After four or five iterations, I would have heard
enough pieces of the question to piece it together, then I'd YELL the
answer back to him.  Strangely, the abysmal audio quality only
extended one way; he could hear me fine.

After I got hired, the same thing would happen to me in reverse, I'd
be able to hear the called party okay (never clearly, but okay), but
I'd have to YELL to make myself heard on the other end to get the
called party to hear me.  Using FTS always made me feel like I was in
a 1930's black-and-white movie (the scene where the guy in a phone
booth is yelling the same thing over and over trying to get his
message across the country).  I ended up pasting a message on my phone
saying "Think FTS -- YELL it don't say it!" (thankfully, I didn't
place LD calls from work very often -- only a few times a week).

Back to the phone interview.  I'd have been a bit more understanding
of the poor quality of the FTS connection had it been between two
places that don't use much FTS, and so have limited FTS service, but
the contractor was at Richland, WA (a major DOE site), and at the time
I was living with my parents in Los Alamos, NM (another major DOE
site).  I also got bad connections after being hired when calling from
Richland to the Washington, DC area.

If JFK had FTS in his office, he'd probably decide to keep on pushing
buttons trying to place his call through a commercial LD carrier.
Sure, it may take an extra ten minutes to get a connection, but he'd
waste that much time repeating himself on FTS and risk being
misunderstood.  "You said `fire', Mister President?  Okay..."  "NO!!
HOLD YOUR FIRE!!"  "Right, `FIRE!'"  "NO!!  DON'T FIRE!!"  "Firing
now!"

> I seem to recall that FTS started out with four underutilized CO's
> serving as tandems. DC's is in the middle of Maryland somewhere.

And now it utilizes CO equipment retired from Liberia, Bangladesh, and
Cambodia after the equipment reached such an age as to no longer
provide the quality of service customers in those nations are
accustomed to.  :-)

David Barts			Pacer Corporation, Bothell, WA
davidb@pacer.uucp		...!uunet!pilchuck!pacer!davidb

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (07/31/90)

In article <10256@accuvax.nwu.edu> davidb@pacer.uucp (David Barts)
writes:

|If JFK had FTS in his office, he'd probably decide to keep on pushing
|buttons trying to place his call through a commercial LD carrier.
|Sure, it may take an extra ten minutes to get a connection, but he'd
|waste that much time repeating himself on FTS and risk being
|misunderstood.  "You said `fire', Mister President?  Okay..."  "NO!!
|HOLD YOUR FIRE!!"  "Right, `FIRE!'"  "NO!!  DON'T FIRE!!"  "Firing
|now!"

|> I seem to recall that FTS started out with four underutilized CO's
|> serving as tandems. DC's is in the middle of Maryland somewhere.

|And now it utilizes CO equipment retired from Liberia, Bangladesh, and
|Cambodia after the equipment reached such an age as to no longer
|provide the quality of service customers in those nations are
|accustomed to.  :-)

David Barts implies that the Federal Telecommunications System (FTS)
remains much the same today as it was when he was first introduced to
it.  While I never used the old FTS (being a separate system from
Autovon), with the implementation of FTS 2000, commercial LD carriers
(AT&T and Sprint, I believe) are handling the LD service.  Maybe one
of the other Telecom Digest readers can give us a description of FTS
2000 and how it works.

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil

goldstein@carafe.enet.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) (08/01/90)

In article <10256@accuvax.nwu.edu>, davidb@pacer.uucp (David Barts)
writes...

>Actually, FTS stands for Federal Tieline System.  And what is a
>tieline?  A tieline is a piece of substandard quality string that when
>used to connect two soup can `telephones' has broken repeatedly and
>has had to be tied together in numerous places :-).

The Federal Telephone System was established in the 1960's and was
based on two AT&T tariffs.  One, Telpak, was a bulk discount for
leased channels.  (It was abolished when the FCC ruled that private
lines could be shared.  The discount worked because you bought blocks
of 60 or 240 channels; most customers didn't use them all up.)  The
other, which provided the switching, was called CCSA (something
Switching Arrangement).  In its day, CCSA was the state of the art for
private voice networks.

CCSA originally used old CO switches, reprogrammed for the private
seven-digit numbering plan.  Later AT&T moved the FTS onto electronic
switches.  Note though that of the 52 or so FTS switches in the '70's,
only a handful were four-wire.  The rest were two-wire (mostly 1ESS)
which of course were prone to echo.  AUTOVON is all four-wire, of
course; its tariff is called SCAN (Switched Circuit Access Network).

Nowadays FTS is being replaced by FTS-2000.  In classic procurement
style, the GSA (under Congressional pressure) decided not to give the
FTS procurement to one vendor.  Instead it's a 60:40 split between
AT&T and Sprint.  So there are two FTS networks, with a few links
between them.  At least the circuits and switches are digital.  Kids,
don't try this at home!

Fred R. Goldstein   goldstein@carafe.enet.dec.com
                 or goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com
                    voice:  +1 508 486 7388

RAF@cu.nih.gov (Roger Fajman) (08/01/90)

FTS is much improved now that the new FTS 2000 system is in full
operation, at least for voice.  FTS 2000 is an all-digital system.
Due to political considerations the contract was split into two parts
and 60% was awarded to AT&T and 40% to Sprint.  MCI lost out
completely and is still mad about it.

Anyway, now the voice quality (to my ear) is equal to commercial calls
(I have MCI on my home phone).  Also, I can make a long distance call
in the middle of the afternoon without getting several trunk busy
signals first.  I usually use it to call commercial numbers.  Rarely
do I call other seven-digit FTS numbers.  My agency, NIH (National
Institutes of Health), is in the Washington, DC, area and is on the
AT&T part of the system.

By the way, the NIH phone book calls it the Federal Telecommunications
System now.  It's entirely possible that the meaning of the T may have
changed over time.

Roger Fajman                                   Telephone:  +1 301 402 1246
National Institutes of Health                  BITNET:     RAF@NIHCU
Bethesda, Maryland, USA                        Internet:   RAF@CU.NIH.GOV
Postmaster for NIHCU.BITNET and CU.NIH.GOV

dmr@csli.stanford.edu (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (08/02/90)

In <10272@accuvax.nwu.edu> schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M.
Schweiger) writes:

>David Barts implies that the Federal Telecommunications System (FTS)
>remains much the same today as it was when he was first introduced to
>it.  While I never used the old FTS (being a separate system from
>Autovon), with the implementation of FTS 2000, commercial LD carriers
>(AT&T and Sprint, I believe) are handling the LD service.  Maybe one
>of the other TELECOM Digest readers can give us a description of FTS
>2000 and how it works.

Here at the Palo Alto Veterans Administration Medical Center, we have
what we call FTS, and is probably FTS 2000. We access normal, local
outside dialing through 9+number, FTS through 8+number. 9+ number
won't take areacodes (even the nearby 408) but 8+ will only take area
codes (and, I believe, FTS tie lines).

One fine day I tried to raise an operator to make a credit card call.
8+0+10 digits raised someone who said "FTS Sprint." She said to make a
credit card call, dial 0+areacode+number, which I had just done.

Eventually someone here told me one simply didn't make credit card
calls over FTS. In addition, the line quality is audible, but not good
enough for using a 1200 baud or higher modem over long distances. Come
to think of it, it is pretty much hopeless using a modem even to
Stanford, a few hundred meters away. Our switch at the VA is a new
Northern DMS-100 (or SL-100, or whatever they call it), and they just
layed down new lines from the phones to the switch.

But out FTS is better than the shouting and squawking described
earlier.  With the mediocre line quality, undocumented and
ever-changing dialing instructions, and opaque operators, it's sort of
like a giant COCOT.

# Daniel M. Rosenberg  //  Stanford CSLI // Chew my opinions, not Stanford's.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

RAF@cu.nih.gov (Roger Fajman) (08/03/90)

FTS is only for long distance calls, so poor connections between the
Palo Alto VA Medical Center and Stanford can't be blamed on it.  Poorly
documented dialing instructions are not the fault of FTS either, since
it's up to the agency to distribute dialing instructions.  They may
vary from agency to agency, depending on the phone system installed.
As for constantly changing dialing procedures, the dialing instructions
for FTS here at NIH have been the same since I first started work here
in 1969.

We did have to change the way we dialed internal extensions when NIH
went to Centrex back in the 70s.  But that was not caused by and did
not affect FTS.  We may have to change the way we dial if the
procurement for a digital PBX for NIH ever gets done.  Anyway, the one
problem mentioned that can be blamed on FTS is the operator's giving
incorrect instructions for how to make a credit card call.  The Palo
Alto VA Medical Center may well have a phone system that works like a
COCOT, but it's not the fault of FTS.