[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Phone Mail Order Houses

jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com (07/17/90)

I'm in the market for a cellular phone (a transportable) and am
interested in purchasing one via mail order. I am hoping that this
will reduce my costs and allow me to choose my own carrier. However,
local electronics stores are offering "fantastic" prices (the catch
being that you are required to sign up for a given length of time with
a cellular phone company), so I'm not sure that going mail order will
be any cheaper. Please send recommendations for mail order companies
to me and I will summarize to the Digest. Thanks.

Jeff E. Nelson           | Digital Equipment Corporation
jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com | Affiliation given for identification purposes only

<jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com> (08/03/90)

In TELECOM Digest Volume 10, Issue 497, I wrote:

>I'm in the market for a cellular phone (a transportable) and am
>interested in purchasing one via mail order. [...]
>Please send recommendations for mail order companies
>to me and I will summarize to the Digest.

My summary, as promised, is as follows: I received no recommendations.
I didn't even get a "me too" message.  I must therefore presume that
either:

1.  There are no mail order companies known to the TELECOM Digest readers
    that sell cellular phones.

2.  There are mail order companies known to the TELECOM Digest readers, but
    the readers aren't talking.

I shall continue my search, but at this point I suspect that it will
be to my advantage to try and purchase a cellular phone through a
local business.  If and when more information develops, I'll report
back.