[comp.dcom.telecom] 700 Blocking?

roy@cs.umn.edu> (08/02/90)

6675%mneuxg@uunet.uu.net (U.K. Tony) writes:

> NY Tel now will block at no charge:

>         550 - Group Bridging/Chat Lines
>         970 - Adult Services
>         550,700,900,and970 combination
              ^^^
The only 700 numbers I've heard of are the recordings to identify your
long-distance carrier.  What's the logic behind blocking these?  Are
there other 700 services that charge?

    Roy M. Silvernail   | #include <stdio.h>                 | Does virtual
    now available at:   | main(){                            | reality need
 cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu |  float x=1;                        | swap space?
(cyberspace... be here!)|  printf("Just my $%.2f.\n",x/50);} | -- me

[Moderator's Note: Yes, indeed! A couple of the OCC's use 700 in the
same way local telcos and AT&T use 900 service. There's a couple of
party-line conferences on there; AT&T has an automated conference call
system operating there (user personally can establish conference with
up to a couple-dozen [more?] people with no need for operator
intervention); one of the OCC's has some phone-sex on a 700 line.  PT]

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (08/03/90)

"Roy M. Silvernail" <cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu> writes:

> The only 700 numbers I've heard of are the recordings to identify your
> long-distance carrier.  What's the logic behind blocking these?  Are
> there other 700 services that charge?

700 numbers are the antithesis of 800 numbers. While an 800 number
call is always routed over a particular carrier depending on the
prefix dialed, a 700 call can go to different places for the same
number depending on the LD carrier SELECTED. The "check your default
carrier" is a perfect example. The number "700 555-4141" goes to a
different place depending on what carrier is selected by the caller.
If you don't select a carrier, then it goes default -- and the
recording provided by the particular carrier will tell you where you
ended up.  If you prefix that number with a 10XXX code, you will get
the recording for the carrier you selected.

Calls to 700 numbers can be free, or charged at a rate determined by
the carrier. If you don't have an account with a particular carrier,
then you will be "casual billed" in the same manner as if you had
dialed any call preceded by 10XXX.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

bmr@ihuxz.att.com (Bryan M Richardson) (08/04/90)

>[Moderator's Note: Yes, indeed! A couple of the OCC's use 700 in the
>same way local telcos and AT&T use 900 service. There's a couple of
>party-line conferences on there; AT&T has an automated conference call
>system operating there (user personally can establish conference with
>up to a couple-dozen [more?] people with no need for operator
>intervention);... ...  PT]

Alliance Teleconferencing can accomodate up to 60 legs for a single
conference.  This is reached via 0+700, either through TSPS or OSPS,
so is somewhat different that 1+800 or 1+900.  Blocking still might be
important, as the costs per port on the teleconferencing bridge are
non-zero ($0.25/min/port + usual LD charges for each leg seems to ring
a bell, but I can't be sure).

Bryan Richardson
AT&T Bell Laboratories