[comp.dcom.telecom] Terradine FORTEL System

ie09@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (07/20/90)

While up at North Texas this weekend, I needed have my phone ring, So
I entered the ringback number (971 3#) But this time after I entered
971, I got a message that said:

          "Terradine Fortel System..... Enter ID code"

WHAT is THAT?

lawrence@cs.ucla.edu (Lawrence Roney) (07/26/90)

GTE in our area now has the voice response FORTEL system.  It is a
rather neat piece of equipment that seems to do much of the work that
the testboard operators of the past used to do.  When installers or
repair people come out, they often use the system.  I have seen it do
the following:

	-- Tell distance in 1/10th of a mile to our demarcation point.
	-- Check for ringers on the line and read back the number found.
	-- Produce a tracer tone on the line.
	-- Ring the line.

One installer told me that they were supposed to login to FORTEL and
test any new lines.  A report was generated at the CO that confirmed
that they did the job correctly.

Lawrence Roney - Santa Monica College Telecommunications Department
N6YFN 		 1900 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405-1628 Mail
UUCP: uunet!ucla-cs!smcnet!lawrence Internet: lawrence@smc.edu

Julian Macassey <julian@bongo.uucp> (08/01/90)

In article <10157@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ucla-cs!smcnet.smc.edu!
lawrence@cs.ucla.edu (Lawrence Roney) writes:

> GTE in our area now has the voice response FORTEL system.  It is a
> rather neat piece of equipment that seems to do much of the work that
> the testboard operators of the past used to do.  When installers or
> repair people come out, they often use the system.  I have seen it do
> the following:

Here is a response from my GTE mole re FORTEL:

Fred speaks out about FORTEL.....

      Actually FORTEL can do as much as the old manned test board
position but do it a lot faster and more accurately. Being a
computerized test facility it is available 24 hrs and can rapidly
switch from call to call. NO specialized test equipment is required,
any standard touch tone phone will do. The voice response is in simple
English and no interpretaion is necessary. Anyone could use and
understand the system (although it is restricted to use by GTE
employees only).

      There is much that FORTEL does, you mentioned a few examples:

>>	-- Tell distance in 1/10th of a mile to our demarcation point.
>>	-- Check for ringers on the line and read back the number found.
>>	-- Produce a tracer tone on the line.
>>	-- Ring the line.

But it does much more than that. It runs a full diagnostic on the line,
checking for:

        -- High resistance shorts on the loop,
        -- Foreign voltage present on the line,
        -- Unbalanced lines,
        -- Open tip or ring,
        -- Crossed tip or ring
        -- Proper capacitance,
        -- Proper siganlling states
           (i.e. on-hook, off-hook, maintainence busy, customer busy)
        -- and much, much, more

FYI, the FORTEL reporting system is not only used by GTE for new
installations but for all residential trouble reports as well. This
not only provides proof that the line has been repaired and is
funtioning properly but also provides an automatic time accounting for
the individual repairman in the field. Yes, FORTEL for the most part
has replaced the majority of manned test positions and is a shining
example of how a properly designed computer system can do a simple,
repetitive job faster and far better than a live person.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

bob%uiucuxc@uunet.uu.net> (08/05/90)

That should be spelled, "Teradyne 4-Tel."

Bob Breum
1701 Missouri Avenue
Sanford, FL 32771-9722 USA
+1 407 322-2002