[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Phone Security

JAMESRC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (07/19/90)

Non-Canadian readers may be interested to learn that the British
Columbia Attorney General resigned his post because he was recorded
uttering various naughties on his cellular phone.  The transmission
seem to have been picked up by a "free-lance" journalist.

I cannot comment on the Canadian legal matters, but my understanding
of the opinions I have heard is that it may not be an offence, as I
gather it is south of our border, to listen and record such calls.

Oops!

Rob James, Department of Community Health and Epidemiology,
Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Roger Fajman <RAF@cu.nih.gov> (08/01/90)

Given that the laws regarding listening in on cellular phone
conversations seem to differ between the US and Canada, I wonder what
happens in the border areas where it may be possible to listen to a US
conversation from Canada, or vice versa.  Whose law applies?  I would
presume that of the country the listener is in, but I don't really
know.

mingo@uunet.uu.net> (08/06/90)

In article <10291@accuvax.nwu.edu> RAF@cu.nih.gov (Roger Fajman)
writes:

>Given that the laws regarding listening in on cellular phone
>conversations seem to differ between the US and Canada, I wonder what
>happens in the border areas where it may be possible to listen to a US
>conversation from Canada, or vice versa.  Whose law applies?  I would
>presume that of the country the listener is in, but I don't really
>know.

Under general choice of law principles, a country regulates conduct
which takes place within its borders.  Thus, if the listener was
located in Canada, but the antenna was in the US, the listener could
be charged in the US.  (Conversely, if it were legal in the US and
illegal in Canada, a Canadian listener could still be charged in
Canada for listening to US signals.)

This issue came up in a related context: Canadian cable companies
would obtain a TV signal in the US, and substitute Canadian
commercials for the American ones when rebroadcasting the signal on
cable systems.

The Canadian CRTC rebuffed attempts by the American FCC to restrict
this, and the US Congress responded by punitively modifying US tax law
to remove business deductions for meetings held in Canada.

This can be something of a difficult issue, at times.

Charlie Mingo			Internet: mingo@well.sf.ca.us 2209
Washington Circle #2  		CI$: 71340,2152 Washington, DC
Washington, DC 20037		AT&T: 202/785-2089