[comp.dcom.telecom] Nicad "Memory"

forrette@sim.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (07/17/90)

Can someone recap the discussion of "memory" in nicad batteries?  I'm
having a problem with my HT5300 AT&T cordless phone.  I had it
unplugged for about two months, and like a dummy didn't disconnect the
battery in the handset.  So, I assume that it was on standby (since it
was off the base for awhile), and totally discharged the battery.
This is bad news, right?  It's been charging for over two days, and
reads only 2.65 volts.  The battery is rated at 3.6V, 720mAh.  When I
take the handset off the base, the LO BATTERY light comes on, and none
of the keys do anything.  Any thoughts?

rpw3%rigden.wpd@sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (07/19/90)

In article <9807@accuvax.nwu.edu> forrette@sim.berkeley.edu (Steve
Forrette) writes:

| Can someone recap the discussion of "memory" in nicad batteries?  I'm
| having a problem with my HT5300 AT&T cordless phone.  I had it
| unplugged for about two months, and like a dummy didn't disconnect the
| battery in the handset.  So, I assume that it was on standby (since it
| was off the base for awhile), and totally discharged the battery.

This is not the "memory effect" (which is something completely
different), but a case of your causing a "cell reversal". When you
completely discharge a multi-cell NiCd battery, *some* cell is going
to go all the way to zero volts first, and then as the other cells
continue discharging they're going to back-bias the one that zeroed
first, and start charging it "the wrong way".

| This is bad news, right?

Yup! The reverse current causes chemical changes in the cell which can
permanently damage it. Among other things, rumor has it that
conductive "whiskers" grow across the cell. There is urban legend to
the effect that you can cure a back-biased NiCd cell by zapping it
with a very strong (but brief!) forward charging current (as from a
large capacitor), supposedly to "blow the whiskers", but as I said, I
consider this in the urban legend category.

| It's been charging for over two days, and
| reads only 2.65 volts.  The battery is rated at 3.6V, 720mAh.  When I
| take the handset off the base, the LO BATTERY light comes on, and none
| of the keys do anything.  Any thoughts?

I think you need a new battery.  Sorry.

Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

kaufman@neon.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (07/19/90)

In article <9888@accuvax.nwu.edu> Rob Warnock <rpw3@sgi.com> writes:

>...There is urban legend to
>the effect that you can cure a back-biased NiCd cell by zapping it
>with a very strong (but brief!) forward charging current (as from a
>large capacitor), supposedly to "blow the whiskers", but as I said, I
>consider this in the urban legend category.

Not an urban legend.  *I* have done it several times.  Just use either
the charge from a large capacitor, or (better) a current limited power
supply.  I have a supply I can limit to 3 amps with an 18 volt
maximum.  Attach it to the battery in charging configuration and
slowly turn up the juice.  The current will go up rapidly (into the
shorting whisker) until it fries, then drop back to a more reasonable
value (100 ma or so).  At that point I revert to standard charging
techniques.

I can't tell you about the _ultimate_ service life of a recovered
battery, but it is certainly longer than the remaining life of an
unrecovered cell.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

elliott@uunet.uu.net (Paul Elliott x225) (07/21/90)

In article <9888@accuvax.nwu.edu>, rpw3%rigden.wpd@sgi.com (Rob
Warnock) writes:

> In article <9807@accuvax.nwu.edu> forrette@sim.berkeley.edu (Steve
> Forrette) writes:

> | Can someone recap the discussion of "memory" in nicad batteries?  I'm
> | having a problem with my HT5300 AT&T cordless phone.  I had it
> | [description of battery problem]

> [reverse-charging, etc] There is urban legend to
> the effect that you can cure a back-biased NiCd cell by zapping it
> with a very strong (but brief!) forward charging current (as from a
> large capacitor), supposedly to "blow the whiskers", but as I said, I
> consider this in the urban legend category.

This isn't really a legend; it does work.  Unfortunately, It doesn't
work often or well.  You will occasionally get lucky, but my
experience has been that the restored cell is not reliable, and will
likely have excessive leakage (self-discharge), and will probably
short out again.  If you want a battery you can depend on, just
replace it.

> | It's been charging for over two days, and
> | reads only 2.65 volts.  The battery is rated at 3.6V, 720mAh.  When I

Definitely a shorted cell.  NiCd cells charge up to about 1.3 to 1.45V
when they are charging and fully charged (in the "overcharge" state),
so the voltage you are measuring corresponds to two fully-charged
cells and one shorted cell.

      Paul M. Elliott      Optilink Corporation     (707) 795-9444
               {uunet, pyramid, tekbspa}!optilink!elliott

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Tad Cook) (07/25/90)

Forrette) writes:

> Can someone recap the discussion of "memory" in nicad batteries?  I'm
> I had it unplugged for about two months, and like a dummy didn't
> disconnect the  battery in the handset.

> This is bad news, right?  It's been charging for over two days, and
> reads only 2.65 volts.  The battery is rated at 3.6V, 720mAh.  When I
> take the handset off the base, the LO BATTERY light comes on, and none
> of the keys do anything.  Any thoughts?

This is not a case of nicad memory, but reversed polarity.  The
batteries have disharged so far that they have probably reversed, and
may be non-recoverable.

Its time for new batteries.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

ge@phoibos.cs.kun.nl (Ge Weijers) (08/06/90)

forrette@sim.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) writes:

]Can someone recap the discussion of "memory" in nicad batteries?  I'm
]having a problem with my HT5300 AT&T cordless phone.  I had it
]unplugged for about two months, and like a dummy didn't disconnect the
]battery in the handset.  So, I assume that it was on standby (since it
]was off the base for awhile), and totally discharged the battery.
]This is bad news, right?  It's been charging for over two days, and
]reads only 2.65 volts.  The battery is rated at 3.6V, 720mAh.  When I
]take the handset off the base, the LO BATTERY light comes on, and none
]of the keys do anything.  Any thoughts?

This has nothing to do with the 'memory' effect. The NiCd battery has
been 'shorted' too long, i.e. drained to much. Replacing it is your
only option.  (A better-designed phone would stop drawing current when
the voltage drops below a certain limit. It should NOT light a
battery-low LED until no charge remains. Never discharge below the
1V/cell level, 3V in your case.)  The memory effect comes into play if
you never fully discharge a battery.

Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)
University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1         tel. +3180612483 (UTC+1,
6525 ED Nijmegen, the Netherlands               UTC+2 march/september