[comp.dcom.telecom] A Happy Sprint Customer

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (08/05/90)

Maybe I'm the only one.

My LD phone bill is ranges from $5-$40 a month.  It was $10-50 under
AT&T.  I call my family once a week, and make the occasional 3-5
minute call to London to order records from Tower London.

I've never had a call I didn't make show up on my bill, and I've never
had line quality problems -- I've uucp'd finland quite easily, and
calling London gives me a better quality line than calling my mom in
Louisiana.  When I was laid off with an hour's notice (ah, the joys of
contracting :-), the Sprint accounting/billing people were
understanding and didn't disconnect me even though I couldn't make my
payments for a few months.

(Just thought I'd try to balance the numerous I-hate-Sprint messages. :-)

J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu  Bitnet: jet@UHOU   Skate UNIX(r)

[Moderator's Note: Actually, there are lots of satisfied Sprint
customers, but like in so many transactions, the satisfied customers
are never heard from.  PT]

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (08/05/90)

"J. Eric Townsend" <jet@karazm.math.uh.edu> writes:

> I've never had a call I didn't make show up on my bill, and I've never
> had line quality problems -- I've uucp'd Finland quite easily, and
> calling London gives me a better quality line than calling my mom in
> Louisiana.  When I was laid off with an hour's notice (ah, the joys of
> contracting :-), the Sprint accounting/billing people were
> understanding and didn't disconnect me even though I couldn't make my
> payments for a few months.

> (Just thought I'd try to balance the numerous I-hate-Sprint messages. :-)

It's not really so much a matter of Sprint bashing. If that were the
case, I would never even bothered to give them a try. I am the first
to support a deserving underdog and really resent our largest
corporations strong-arming and bullying their way through the
marketplace. If there would be any way around AT&T, I would be the
first through the door.

But not only did my little trial end in failure, it appears that the
company has no desire to meet me half way to correct the situation.
Everyone has problems from time to time; even AT&T. But when I had
similar problems on AT&T, the response was phenomenal and the people
that I dealt with truly acted as though my account was the most
important one they had at the moment. Technicians actually called my
modem line (I saw it go off hook) and called the other end as well.
They reported back that the levels were OK so they were going to look
into the matter further. The problem was corrected within 48 hours.

Sprint on the other hand virtually ignored me for three days and it
was only when I became a pest that they even bothered to wave me off
with, "we have determined the problem to be in your equipment." Every
converstion with a Sprint person ended with, "we certainly appreciate
your business". Actions, however, speak louder than words. What I
heard was, "use our lines the way they are and don't make trouble."

Most assuredly, there are satisfied Sprint customers. If that wasn't
true, they would be out of business right now, not just losing money.
I am also convinced that there are areas in the country that get
superior service from Sprint. This, however, is not one of them. IMHO
this a major mistake on their part since the Silicon Valley probably
is responsible for a disproportionate share of data communications.
Being unusable for data somewhat limits Sprint's merchantability.

But the thrust here is not that Sprint has problems. Everyone has
problems. It's what are they willing to do, down to the individual
level, to solve them?

> [Moderator's Note: Actually, there are lots of satisfied Sprint
> customers, but like in so many transactions, the satisfied customers
> are never heard from.  PT]

And unfortunately in business, it isn't the satisfied customers but
the unsatisfied ones that you need to worry about the most.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@icjapan.info.com> (08/07/90)

In article <10467@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
writes:

>But the thrust here is not that Sprint has problems. Everyone has
>problems. It's what are they willing to do, down to the individual
>level, to solve them?

An oft-stated line in my company is: "AT&T is still the only REAL long
distance company."

We have circuits (both T1 and analog) from AT&T, Sprint, and
Telesphere.  As John mentioned above, the AT&T's superiority really
shines when it comes to needed repairs.

The people at AT&T's service department are technically-qualified
people who act professionally and work quickly to get the problem at
hand repaired.  They issue a ticket number, and at any time we can
call back and get a status update.  This is often not necessary
however, as AT&T's people call us and keep us informed.  The problem
is usually repaired rather quickly.

Other carriers' service is a joke.  Telesphere's switch personnel go
home at 5 p.m., and any after-hours repair requires that the local
switchperson be paged and drive in to the office.  Sprint is little
better.  The people you talk to in the service department are no more
knowledgable than the customer service reps (they may be the same).
They will often tell us, "I'm sorry.  That switch is unattended until
Monday morning.  We won't be able to fix [your T-1] until then."

We don't accept answers like that in a 24-hour business like ours, but
the fact that they try to get away with it tells a lot.  In fact, ever
getting to speak with a technically-minded person is near impossible.

If your business relies on communications circuits that work, it is
worth whatever extra that AT&T charges.  I have many complaints about
AT&T too, but in this area, they have no equals or even close
competitors.