[comp.dcom.telecom] Reach Out America Bills

SKASS@drew.bitnet (08/07/90)

In TELECOM Digest Volume 10, Issue 545, Blake Farenthold writes:

> Why can't AT&T/SWBell bill tell me how much EACH Reach Out America costs
> instead of giving me the FULL AT&T rate with asterisks, percent signs, and
> octothorpes to indicate it is a ROA call.

I wish they did a better job, too, but I think I know one reason why
they don't provide _both_ the full rate and the rate you pay.  Some
calls cost more with Reach Out.  Calls to places within 100 miles or
so (but out of state) are often less expensive during evening hours
than at night, since the 25% evening discount is better than the 11.5
cent/min. flat night rate.  Call your friends in nearby locations
before 10pm or else use 10333+.

By the way, I recently heard of a plan being offered in SW Bell
territory called "Selective Calling," or some such thing.  It is like
Reach Out for a single area code.  Does anyone have details on
availability and prices?  Maybe my friends out west could be calling
me more cheaply than I call them.

Steve Kass, Math/Comp Sci Dept, Drew U, Madison NJ 07940, skass@drew.bitnet