[comp.dcom.telecom] What Should I Ask For?

leichter@lrw.com (LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) (08/04/90)

My UUCP links require an in-state long-distance call (to a site about
15 miles from here).  As in many places, such calls are quite
expensive - not nearly as bad as what I see others are paying, but it
does add up, even at the late-night rate at which I make most calls.

It adds up to enough that I'm thinking about other options.  One that
might make sense is an FX line to the exchange to which I dial.  What
words should I use in talking to SNET to ask about such a beast?

Another alternative I've considered is getting an 800 number and
having the site I talk to poll me.  (They aren't able to pick up the
costs of a direct call.)  The residential 800 services seem to be
pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if they will work in-state, and if so
how they would be billed.  Anyone know?

Any other suggestions for a way to cut these costs from the collected wisdom
of the Telecom community?

Jerry

"James M. Turner" <turner@ksr.com> (08/07/90)

leichter@lrw.com (LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) writes:

>My UUCP links require an in-state long-distance call (to a site about
>15 miles from here).  As in many places, such calls are quite
>expensive - not nearly as bad as what I see others are paying, but it
>does add up, even at the late-night rate at which I make most calls.

Here at KSR, we've cut our phone bill from around $430 a month down to
$108 by getting a leased line to our news feed.  The cost breakdown is
as follows:

Leased line installation:	$ 430
Two V.32 Modems w/4 wire mode	$1600
Monthly Charge			$ 108

Note that we got V.32s because they'll make nice modems if we ever
decide to get rid of the leased line, you could use most plain-jane
2400 baud modems as long as they support leased line operations, and
since you don't pay extra for the continuous operation, the low baud
rate won't hurt.  Of course, you can run SLIP very well at 9.6Kb...
(which we don't.)

We're polling Software Tool and Die (world), which is around 15 miles
from our location, but intra-LATA.

Name:    James M. Turner
Company: Kendall Square Research
Email:   turner@ksr.com, ksr!turner