[comp.dcom.telecom] House Approves Restrictions on Fax, Phone Junk Mail

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (08/01/90)

The United States House of Representatives approved a bill Monday,
July 30 that would allow phone subscribers to keep incoming junk faxes
and automated phone sales calls off their lines.

The legislation, approved by a voice vote, would authorize the Federal
Communications Commission to set up a national registry of telephone
subscribers who object to unsolicited sales messages delivered orally
by a computer, or in printed form by a fax machine.

The FCC would also establish penalties for advertisers who call people
on the list.

Solicitations by charitable, political and religious organizations
would be exempt from the ban.

Telephone subscribers, either private individuals or businesses, could
specify they do not wish to receive advertising by facsimile machines
or automatically dialed, prerecorded telephone solicitations.

The legislation was crafted in cooperation with the Federal
Communications Commission, various telepone companies, and
representatives of the direct marketing industry, said Rep. Edward J.
Markey (D-Mass), one of the sponsors of the bill. The Senate must
still approve the bill, and the Senate version may make some changes.

The new law, if passed, will *NOT* prohibit live sales calls, but only
the automated kind, along with fax calls. The assumption is that the
called party can instruct an actual, live human-being sales person to
terminate the call and not call in the future.

Patrick Townson

jgro@apldbio.com (Jeremy Grodberg) (08/06/90)

In article <10307@accuvax.nwu.edu> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM
Moderator) writes:

>The United States House of Representatives approved a bill...
>[which] would authorize the Federal
>Communications Commission to set up a national registry of telephone
>subscribers who object to unsolicited sales messages delivered orally
>by a computer, or in printed form by a fax machine.
>Solicitations by charitable, political and religious organizations
>would be exempt from the ban.  [...]

To be an effective deterrent, this list of phone numbers would have to
be public.  I can just see it providing a national hit list for
telemarketers working for "charitable, political and religious
organizations."  Who is going to want to give out their unlisted phone
numbers for this, if it ends up *inviting* solicitations from every
non-profit fundraiser in the country?  I remember my training as a
door-to-door political fundraiser (canvasser) that I was instructed to
ignore "no solicitations" signs, because a) I wasn't selling anything,
and b) those signs were put up by people with low sales resistance,
and thus would be a better-than-average source of donations.
Regardless of the accuracy of those justifications, I can tell you
that they are widely held beliefs among sales pros.  Isn't this list a
formula for this kind of abuse?

Jeremy Grodberg
jgro@apldbio.com

[Moderator's Note: Where you are missing the point is that the
charitable, political and religious ones can call *anyway*. And the
law is directed at automated dialing, a technique which does not rely
on a printed list of numbers, but simply dials from 0001 to 9999 on
each exchange. Everyone *except* the exempted categories would have to
program their autodialers to skip the requested numbers.  PT]

PCHROMCZ@drew.bitnet (Alec) (08/08/90)

Moderator) writes:

>bill... [which] would authorize the FCC to set up a national registry
>of telephone subscribers who object to unsolicited sales messages...

>Solicitations by charitable, political and religious organizations
>would be exempt from the ban.

Well that's really USELESS: the people who I especially *DON'T* want
to hear from are charitable, political, and religious organizations.

        -*- Alec -*-
        PCHROMCZ@drunivac.bitnet
        PCHROMCZ@drunivac.drew.edu
        ...!rutgers!njin!drew!drunivac!PCHROMCZ