[comp.dcom.telecom] C & W 800 Service vs. Sprint 800 Service

Steve Elias <eli@pws.bull.com> (08/08/90)

 From: Steve Forrette <forrette@sim.berkeley.edu>

> Cable & Wireless - 800/486-8686
> Signup fee:  $0

Sprint:  800 877 4646
Signup fee: Was $0 for a while.  I think you can talk them into
waiving the 'official' signup fee if you try.  Say some nasty stuff
about ATT and maybe they'll give you a break! :)

> Monthly fee: $10-15/month (accessible from the 48 contiguous states)

Sprint monthly fee: $10 /month Sprint bills in six second increments.
What about C&W?  It's nice to be able to check voice mail from
anywhere in the US for one cent!  (Of course, it's more if there are
messages for me.)

> Programmable 800:  $10/month extra

This is a neat feature.  Sprint doesn't have anything similar, as far
as I know.

> I had a problem the first time, and the first person who answered the
> phone was able to tell me what POTS number my 800 was currently set
> for, through a real-time lookup right from their desk.  Impressive.
> (A little different from Sprint, eh John?)

It's not that impressive.  The Sprint service reps can do the same
thing, but I'm not sure how quick they are about changing the POTS
number that the 800 number rings in to.  I have call forwarding on my
POTs number and use that to control where the 800 number rings.

(I don't know if phones in Alaska and Hawaii can connect to my 800 #.)

eli