[comp.dcom.telecom] Motorola Wristwatch Pager

TELECOM Moderator <telecom@eecs.nwu.edu> (08/03/90)

It's hard to believe that after 40 or 50 years, Dick Tracy is still
ahead of the times with his Two-Way Wrist TV.

But arm's-length communications seems to be getting a little closer to
reality with Motorola's announcement that it had begun national
distribution of its combined wristwatch/pager this month.

This combination will be sold for about a year by pager dealers, and
probably by 1992 will be on sale in retail stores as well. This is a
joint venture with Timex, and the product looks much like a typical
black LCD watch, however it is bulkier because of the small battery
which operates the pager for 45 days, and the extra buttons required
to operate the pager.

When messages come in, the same screen used by the timepiece will
instead display the phone number of the caller on the liquid crystal
screen. The unit will beep as loud as normal pagers.

It operates on the Golay Sequential Coding and Post Office Standard
Advisory Group Code systems, the two primary paging systems used.

Motorola says they have targeted this new watch/pager combination at
people who have never used a pager before.

Motorola is actually second on the market with something like this:
earlier this year, a company on the west coast called AT&E started
marketing its own wrist pager, with similar features.

With the Motorola unit at least, after you buy it, you take it to the
radio paging company of your choice and they activate it, like they
would any other pager. In most cases, the dealer or store selling the
unit will already have an arrangement with some service provider, much
as cellular phones are marketed now. The price is going to be in the
$150 - $200 range, presumably if a deal is cut with the paging
company.

Now we can all be Dick Tracy! (Almost, anyway ... still no way to talk
back to it, or see pictures on it.  That'll be next, I guess.)

Patrick Townson

"Craig R. Watkins" <CRW@icf.hrb.com> (08/03/90)

In article <10353@accuvax.nwu.edu>, telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM
Moderator) writes:

> It operates on the Golay Sequential Coding and Post Office Standard
> Advisory Group Code systems, the two primary paging systems used.

I've been looking for spec of GSC (Golay Sequential Code).  Anyone
have any pointers?

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

rpw3%rigden.wpd@sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (08/04/90)

In article <10398@accuvax.nwu.edu> CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins)
writes:

| I've been looking for spec of GSC (Golay Sequential Code).  Anyone
| have any pointers?

I suspect that what I am about to say will be of no use as far as
pointing you at a spec for the GSC as used by pagers, but for those
interested in error-correcting codes in general...

 From Lin & Costello, "Error Control Coding", (P-H 1983) p.134ff:

	"THE GOLAY CODE

	"The (23,12) Golay code is the only known multiple-error-correcting
	binary perfect code which is capable of correcting any combination
	of three or fewer random errors in a block of 23 digits. This code
	has abundant and beautiful algebraic structure. Since its discovery
	by Golay in 1949, it has become a subject of study by many coding
	theorists and mathematicians....

	"The (23,12) Golay code is either generated by

		g1(X) = 1 + X^2 + X^4 + X^5 + X^6 + X^10 + X^11
	or by
		g1(X) = 1 + X + X^5 + X^6 + X^7 + X^9 + X^11

	"Both g1(X) and G2(X) are factors of X^23 + 1 = (1 + X)g1(X)g2(X).
	The encoding can be accomplished by an 11-stage shift register with
	feedback connections according to either g1(X) or g2(X).

	"...There are several practical ways to decode the (23,12) Golay code
	up to its error-correcting capacity t=3. two of the best are discussed
	in this section. Both are refined error-trapping schemes."

They go on to describe a version of the Kasami decoder and the
systematic search decoder, with plusses and minuses for each.

Elsewhere in the book they note that the (23,12) Golay code and the
(2^N - 1, 2^N - N - 1) Hamming single-error correcting codes are the
only known perfect binary error-correcting codes.

The only known perfect non-binary error correcting codes are the
general- ized Hamming codes and the double-error-correcting (11,6)
code over GF(3), also discovered by Golay. [Peterson & Weldon,
"Error-Correcting Codes", (MIT 1972), p.143] "There are a number of
results indicating that perfect codes are scarce, and it even seems
quite likely that there are no others."  [Ibid., p.121]

For those who wonder how this connects with pagers, note that by
doubling (well, 23/12'ths) the number of bits sent and using the above
Golay code, you can get nearly error-free reception with bit error
rates approaching 10%.  (Occasionally more than three errors will
occur in a block of 23 bits, then the whole 12-bit data byte is
garbled.)  Not bad, not bad...

Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

Arnold Robbins <arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu> (08/10/90)

Moderator) writes:

>It's hard to believe that after 40 or 50 years, Dick Tracy is still
>ahead of the times with his Two-Way Wrist TV.

>Now we can all be Dick Tracy! (Almost, anyway ... still no way to talk
>back to it, or see pictures on it.  That'll be next, I guess.)

Not that the following has much to do with Telecom, but I seem to
remember some years ago seeing a wrist-watch television by, I think,
Seiko.  It had an LCD screen on a wristband, and a separate small box
for the actual TV tuner electronics.  I think it had an earphone jack,
too.

It didn't seem all that practical, and had a hefty (~ $400) price tag,
but it certainly was an existence proof for TV-on-the-wrist.

Arnold Robbins	AudioFAX, Inc.
2000 Powers Ferry Road, #220 / Marietta, GA. 30067
INTERNET: arnold@audiofax.com	Phone: +1 404 933 7600
UUCP:	 emory!audfax!arnold	Fax: +1 404 933 7606