[comp.dcom.telecom] Eight Digit Phone Numbers?

nam2254@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Tom Ohmer) (08/06/90)

Patrick,

I occasionally see ads on TV giving a number to call such as:

1-800-CALL-FRED.  <- Made up
      2255 3733

In the above, is the `D' actually required to make the call, or is it
ignored?

[Moderator's Note: The eighth and subsequent letters in phone numbers
like this are absorbed and ignored. They are provided only to remind
the members of the public what to dial, as a way of making a complete
word or phrase. They are meaningless to the phone switch.   PT]

Mike Olson <mao@postgres.berkeley.edu> (08/09/90)

In <10544@accuvax.nwu.edu>, nam2254@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Tom Ohmer)
writes:

> 1-800-CALL-FRED.  <- Made up

> In the above, is the `D' actually required to make the call, or is it
> ignored?

This reminds me of my favorite eight-digit telephone number.  A car dealer
that advertises on television here in the SF Bay Area advises you to
waste no time in dialing

	1-800-DEALS-NOW

Of course,

	1-800-DEALS-NO

reaches him just fine.
				Mike Olson (mao@postgres.Berkeley.EDU)

JDurand@cup.portal.com (08/10/90)

writes:

> 1-800-CALL-FRED.  <- Made up

> In the above, is the `D' actually required to make the call, or is it
> ignored?

Not only is it not needed, but if you are using a pushbutton phone (or
my PBX) in the pulse-dial mode and you dial an extra digit, you will
disconnect the call!  (This does not apply to all central offices,
only the newer ones.)

Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc., jdurand@cup.portal.com