[comp.dcom.telecom] 800 Service Instate -- Good Deal or Not?

Steve Elias <eli@pws.bull.com> (08/10/90)

 From: Paul Wilczynski <0002003441@mcimail.com>

>I don't know if the per-minute rates for residential 800 service are
>different from those for business 800 service, but my AT&T service
>costs $.25/minute for in-Massachusetts (less for other states).  At
>that rate, it may not be your best deal.

Well, my Sprint account is "all business", even though the 800 number
rings into a residence phone.  All Sprint rates are the same for both
residence and business service, although the volume discounts migh be
a bit better for businesses.

They charge me 11 cents to about 19 cents per minute, depending on the
time of day, whether the call is from Massachusetts or California.
With the six second incremental billing, many calls are one cent, and
many more are four cents!  That's surely a good deal -- the only
problem is the $10 monthly fee.

eli