[net.news.group] $spool/net/micro/6809 - a bug waiting to happen

psc@lzaz.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (12/24/85)

< Oxygen is for people who can't take New Jersey >

I just posted an article to net.micro, and, as is my custom, I cd'ed to
the spool directory, then net/micro, and looked for my article.  Well,
there were a lot of files whose names were numbers, and the largest one
was 6809, so I figured that must be mine.  Just at the last second, I
realized I shouldn't cat it; net/micro/6809 is a *directory*.  (My file
was 2967.)

I include the article's header for completeness' sake:
>From: psc@lzaz.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm)
>Newsgroups: net.micro
>Subject: Jerry Pournelle's INFOWORLD column
>Date: 23 Dec 85 22:35:37 GMT

Clearly, when we get about four thousand more articles, we're gonna lose
the one between 6808 and 6810.  Not good.  (I assume inews isn't smart
enough to skip 6809 and store that article in 6810.)

PROPOSED:  that no new newsgroups or subgroups be created with a name
that can be confused with an article number!

Please send any comments to me; I'll summarize to this group later.
(Alas, replying to me back through 'Path:' won't work; see the
signature.)
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm, ihnp4!lznv!psc (not ihnp4!lzaz!psc)
       The above opinions might not be shared by any telcomm company.