[comp.dcom.telecom] 800 ANI - Is the Whole Number Neccessary?

mtv@milton.u.washington.edu (David Schanen) (08/05/90)

In article <10445@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
writes:

   Stuff deleted...

>Remember -- when you call an 800 number, the call is carried by the
>IXC assigned to the 800 prefix, NOT the default carrier that may be
>assigned to your phone.

   More Stuff deleted...

>Ok, folks, time to set this straight. There is confusion here. 800 ANI
>sends the CALLING number NOT the billing number.    ........

   More stuff deleted...

   Thanks for confirming that for us John!

   What I don't understand is why the telcos are allowed to have the
*complete* number of the calling party.  They should only be allowed
the local prefix, for billing purposes (IMHO.)

   Is this an invasion of our privacy?

   Anyone have any opinions, ideas?

Dave

Internet: mtv@milton.u.washington.edu  *  UUNET: ...uunet!uw-beaver!u!mtv

[Moderator's Note: It is not an invasion of your privacy when you ask
me to pay for your telephone call and I ask for the number of the
telephone. By your thinking, the information provided to the person
paying the bill for a collect call would also be an 'invasion of
privacy' since that person gets your number. As long as I am paying, I
want the details of what I am paying for. The way you avoid this
'invasion of privacy' is by sending the call at your expense instead
of mine; i.e. dial my regular long distance number instead of my 800
number. PT]

"John R. Levine" <johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> (08/07/90)

In article <10462@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>   What I don't understand is why the telcos are allowed to have the
>*complete* number of the calling party.  They should only be allowed
>the local prefix, for billing purposes (IMHO.)

Funny you should mention that.  In France, itemized phone bills have
only become available in the past few years.  Before that, it was just
impulse counts like most other places outside North America.

French phone bills leave out the last few digits of each number,
explicitly for privacy purposes.  I don't know if there's any way to
get the omitted digits if you want them, or if they are even stored
anywhere.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

Ken Abrams <kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com> (08/07/90)

In article <10462@accuvax.nwu.edu> mtv@milton.u.washington.edu (David
Schanen) writes:

>In article <10445@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
>writes:

>>Ok, folks, time to set this straight. There is confusion here. 800 ANI
>>sends the CALLING number NOT the billing number.    ........

>   Thanks for confirming that for us John!

Now for an un-confirmation........

Sorry I missed the original post but it appears that there is still
some confusion.  The reason being, undoubtedly, that it works slightly
differently depending on where the call originates and MAY even work
differently from different lines in the same C.O.

In addition to the "real" number, a billing number can be programmed
into the serving switch (telco, that is, not PBX).  If this is done,
then the billing number is all that is ever sent out as ANI and the
800 provider can provide only that since it is all he knows.

It is not common practice to do that so in most cases John is correct
(but there are exceptions).

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

Ken Greer <kgreer@mcnc.org> (08/07/90)

In article <10508@accuvax.nwu.edu> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
(John R. Levine) writes:

>French phone bills leave out the last few digits of each number,
>explicitly for privacy purposes.  I don't know if there's any way to
>get the omitted digits if you want them, or if they are even stored
>anywhere.

  Privacy ??  I'm confused.  You mean that in France I can
"non-invade" someone's privacy by calling him, but "invade" his
privacy by knowing his phone # (which I would know, since I had called
him) ?

  What a philosophy.  Is this from the Jerry Lewis School of Higher
Thinking?

  Seriously, how would anyone contest a wrongly charged call ?
Perhaps a better question would be: Are you even allowed to contest a
charge ?

Kim L. Greer			       try: klg@orion.mc.duke.edu
Duke University Medical Center		    kgreer@mcnc.org
Div. Nuclear Medicine  POB 3949             klg@dukeac.ac.duke.edu
Durham, NC 27710  919-660-2711x5223       fax: 919-681-5636

ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin Ellsworth) (08/09/90)

> [Moderator's Note: It is not an invasion of your privacy when you ask
> me to pay for your telephone call and I ask for the number of the
> telephone. By your thinking, the information provided to the person
> paying the bill for a collect call would also be an 'invasion of
> privacy' since that person gets your number. As long as I am paying, I
> want the details of what I am paying for.  ... PT]

Hmmm... it seems to me that ANY time someone calls me that person is
making use of a service that I pay for.  I pay for the ability to
receive calls at my home.  If you call me, you are partially using my
money.  Why can't I get "the details of what I am paying for?"

Trying to draw a distinction between facilities charges and connect-
time charges seems spurious.  It seems very clear to me that if CID
is illegal in PA that calling number provision for collect calls, and
800 service providers should also be ruled illegal.

I also think that we need to be careful in our use of the term
"invasion of privacy."  It appears to be valid to say that any time
you willingly surrender information there has been no "invasion."
Hence, one might conclude that our moderator's assertion is correct.
However, by so doing we must agree that general CID also not an
invasion of privacy -- if you choose to take advantage of the site
facility that I pay for and maintain you must surrender your identity.
"I want the details of what I am paying for."

Would our Moderator or others agree?

Benjamin Ellsworth                                  ben@cv.hp.com
                 All possibly relevant disclaimers apply.

[Moderator's Note: Well, I have always felt if someone wanted to call
me they had to surrender some of their privacy in the process.  PT]

John Decatur KA2QHD <johnd@ocpt.ccur.com> (08/09/90)

Schanen) writes:

> In article <10445@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
> writes:

> >Ok, folks, time to set this straight. There is confusion here. 800 ANI
> >sends the CALLING number NOT the billing number.    ........

Ack.  No it doesn't.  Sorry John.  The IXC receives only the billing
number via carrier interconnection signaling.  The IXC never receives
the calling party number; therefore, it is only possible for the IXC
to deliver to the called party the billing number.

All the stories about the ANI identifier number being posted should
confirm this -- all those weird numbers (the BBN number from 25 years
ago, an undialable IBT number, switchboards, and various undialable
numbers) are all billing numbers for various centrex groups, PBXes,
etc.

David G Lewis		Teleport Communications -- New York
+1.718.983.2079		Engineer -- New Technologies
!att!tsdiag!ka2qhd!deej

SDRY@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sergio Gelato) (08/10/90)

(John R. Levine) writes:

>>French phone bills leave out the last few digits of each number,
>>explicitly for privacy purposes.  I don't know if there's any way to
>>get the omitted digits if you want them, or if they are even stored
>>anywhere.

>Privacy ??  I'm confused.  You mean that in France I can
>"non-invade" someone's privacy by calling him, but "invade" his
>privacy by knowing his phone # (which I would know, since I had called
>him) ?

It isn't a matter of your knowing the phone number you called, but of
too much data being stored on computer media about your life and
activities.  The law that prohibits the disclosure of the full numbers
is the one known as "informatique et liberte"; it is intended mainly
to prevent the kind of thing some people have complained about in this
forum, that anyone who looks at your credit record will get a very
good idea of your personal tastes and lifestyle.

In the case of phone numbers, Mr. X probably wouldn't want anyone to
tell his wife that all these calls to 4787-XXXX are not to his old
aunt.  His privacy should be respected, and the information not be
disclosed to anyone.  Hence, it should never appear in print anywhere
(not even on a phone bill), and in fact should not even be stored on
France Telecom's computers (in case one of their employees should try
blackmail, for example; or in case someone breaks into those
computers).

>Seriously, how would anyone contest a wrongly charged call ?
>Perhaps a better question would be: Are you even allowed to contest a
>charge ?

Contesting charges is probably more common in the USA than in France
(disclaimer: I don't have any hard statistics -- this is just a
guess).  However, you should still be able to say "I never called
anyone in exchange YYYY on that day", in the same way as you can tell
a US telephone company "I never called (XXX)XXX-XXXX".

Anyway, any form of detailed billing is an improvement on the
previous state of affairs (when you only got a lump charge for the
month's calls).  And privacy is worth more than a few extra francs on
a bill (at least to me).

Sergio Gelato <gelato@AstroSun.TN.Cornell.Edu>

dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (08/11/90)

In article <10640@accuvax.nwu.edu>, SDRY@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sergio
Gelato) writes:

> guess).  However, you should still be able to say "I never called
> anyone in exchange YYYY on that day", in the same way as you can tell
> a US telephone company "I never called (XXX)XXX-XXXX".

In the U.S. you can claim: "I never called anybody at (201) 234 5678.
They can look up the records for calls originated by the subscriber
whose number is (201) 234 5678 and see if they've ever called you.
That's known as "checking returns" and is routinely done in an attempt
to see if your claim is reasonable.  If they called you, it's less
likely that you never called them.  I guess in France, they would have
to check returns on several hundred numbers, depending upon how many
of the digits are omitted from the billing "detail" records.

Dave Levenson		Voice: 908 647 0900 Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers |att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (08/11/90)

John Decatur KA2QHD <johnd@ocpt.ccur.com> writes:

> Ack.  No it doesn't.  Sorry John.  The IXC receives only the billing
> number via carrier interconnection signaling.  The IXC never receives
> the calling party number; therefore, it is only possible for the IXC
> to deliver to the called party the billing number.

Oops! My original statement was based on observation of Pac*Bell, and
as usual the practices are out of step with the real world. In the
lion's share of cases, Pac*Bell makes the billing number the same as
the directory number, even in cases where there are actually alternate
billing arrangements. In the case of my accounts (and all those of my
clients), our "Fun with ANI" number returns the directory number of
the calling line even though that number is billed to a completely
different (or even ficticious) number.

> All the stories about the ANI identifier number being posted should
> confirm this -- all those weird numbers (the BBN number from 25 years
> ago, an undialable IBT number, switchboards, and various undialable
> numbers) are all billing numbers for various centrex groups, PBXes,
> etc.

Now here's a question: what does the number readback return? Before
you answer -- a short story. I happened to be going through some RJ21X
positions in a client's phone room and found some lines that read back
a number that was not known. I went through all of the customer's
records and couldn't find the number anywhere. Four of the trunks read
back this strange number and all of them were working and connected to
the switch. It turns out that these lines were part of the main local
group. The readback was just WRONG. Calls made on them were properly
billed, and they responded properly to incoming calls. Pac*Bell
corrected the readback. So what is the readback linked to?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

"Marc T. Kaufman" <kaufman@neon.stanford.edu> (08/12/90)

-> writes:

-> >Ok, folks, time to set this straight. There is confusion here. 800 ANI
-> >sends the CALLING number NOT the billing number.    ........

>Ack.  No it doesn't.  Sorry John.  The IXC receives only the billing
>number via carrier interconnection signaling.  The IXC never receives
>the calling party number; therefore, it is only possible for the IXC
>to deliver to the called party the billing number.

I expect the truth lies somewhere between these two.  On my
residential two-line hunt group each line is identified by its CALLING
number when I called the ANI test.  Both lines are billed to the same
number.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

[Moderator's Note: My two lines are both BILLED on the first line. I
get one bill each month, with long distance charges from the second
line appended on a separate page. When I tried the ANI number just now
from the second line, it read me the second, or calling number. Maybe
'billing number' is a local matter, depending on how your local telco
chooses to handle it. Maybe in my case I have two 'billing numbers'
with both bills shown on one monthly statement. I think there are some
semantics used here to define 'billing' and 'calling' numbers.  PAT]