  From: SCHREIBR@venus.ycc.yale.edu
  Subject: PLEDGE FOR SCIENCE IN ARGENTINA
  Date: 7 Aug 90 15:07:50 EST

  TO ALL SCIENTISTS CONCERNED WITH SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY IN ARGENTINA

                                              Buenos Aires, June 4, 1990

Dear Colleague:

     I would like to draw your attention to the plight of science in
Argentina and to ask for your urgent cooperation to save it from
destruction.

     As you may know Argentina is in the midst of a profound economic
crisis.  As a consequence of this there has been a severe reduction in
the governmental budget. Unless special attention is paid to science
we believe that meager salaries combined with lack of funding will
lead to the shut down of our laboratories before there is any
improvement in the economic situation.

     The following example provides a glimpse of our economic
situation: a scientist holding the highest available position receives
a monthly salary of US$ 300 (United States dollars three hundred). On
the other end of the scale a junior scientist starting his/her career
is paid a salary of about US$ 100.  These sums are far lower than
those required for subsistence-level feeding and education for an
average family.

     If you are willing to help us, please write a letter in your own
words or use the attached letter as a model and send it via air mail
to:

                  Sr. Presidente de la Republica Argentina
                  Dr. Carlos Saul Menem
                  Casa de Gobierno, Balcarce 50,
                  1064 Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA

     To expand the chain please send ten copies of this letter to your
friends.

                                 MODEL LETTER

Sr. Presidente de la Republica Argentina
Dr. Carlos Saul Menem
Casa de Gobierno, Balcarce 50
1064 Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA

Dear Mr. President,

    I am writing you to call your attention to the present situation
of scientific and technological research in Argentina.

    Argentine scientists will not be able to endure for a long time
the present situation in which the lack of funds to support research
is combined with the incredibly low salaries paid to them.

    Such situation will soon lead to a sharp increase in the exodus,
which has already started, of qualified people and hence to the
irreversible damage to your national scientific and technological
research system whose quality is recognized and respected by the
international scientific community. This would be a tragedy for
Argentina's cultural and technological development which would require
years to repair.

    With all due respect, Mr. President, I urge you to take actions to
reverse this sad situation. This may help to change the negative image
that the international community has about this aspect of your
administration.

                                               Sincerely yours

                                    (Signature, name and academic position)

Other addresses to which correspondence may be forwarded:

Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas (CONICET)
Avenida Rivadavia 1917,
1033 Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA

Secretaria de Ciencia y Tecnica (SECyT)
Avenida Cordoba 831,
1054 Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA

                                           New Haven, 6 de Agosto de 1990

Estimados todos:

    Esta es la primera vez que me dirijo a todos ustedes por medio de
la red.  Creo que la situacion descripta mas arriba, conocida por
todos nosotros, lo justifica.

    Hoy por la tarde recibi copia de estos textos del laboratorio en
Argentina del cual provengo y hacia el cual aun planeo regresar, este
es el Instituto de Quimica y Fisicoquimica Biologicas (IQUIFIB),
Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, cuyo
director es el Dr. Alejandro C. Paladini.

    Tengo entendido que los esfuerzos tendientes a revertir este
estado de cosas, en el medio local, son frustrantemente inoperantes.
De este modo, se trata de que la presion externa pueda ser mas
efectiva.

    Les agradezco a todos desde ya toda la difusion que pudieran darle
a esta iniciativa.

                                           Jose Maria Delfino

Dr.Jose Maria Delfino
Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry (210 KBT),
Yale University,
260 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06511, USA.
Tel. # (203) 432-5622/5623
Fax  # (203) 432-3282
Electronic Mail: Bitnet: "DELFINO%HHVMS8@YALEVMS"