[comp.dcom.telecom] More ANI Fun!

phillips@ucsd.edu (Peter Phillips) (08/01/90)

I found this number posted on a local BBS, and figured it had some
entertainment value.  This is a demo number for some company selling
something ANI related.  Anyway, here it is:  1-800-666-6258.

[Moderator's Note: I tried it from home, and sure enough, it read back
my number to me. I tried it using my cell phone, and it read back a
totally different number: 312-229-XXXX which is NOT my cell number; is
not in service for incoming calls, and is listed to 'IBT Company, 8888
West 87th Avenue, Hickory Hills, IL, which is not in the 312 area.
Weirdness ... Has it occurred to anyone else that this number is a
good one to use to answer the question, 'what number is the phone I am
calling from?' when the number is not readily available?  If any of
you try it, let's see if it can be tricked into giving the wrong
number, or not being able to give one at all. Try your tie lines,
special circuits, via 950, etc ... Fun time, everyone!  :)  PT]

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (08/02/90)

In article <10318@accuvax.nwu.edu> TELECOM Moderator writes:

>[Moderator's Note: I tried it from home, and sure enough, it read back

>If any of you try it, let's see if it can be tricked into giving
>the wrong number, or not being able to give one at all.

I called from my office at the University of Houston.  We have some
sort of ancient internal network (most of the switching devices still
don't handle tones, the LD service didn't handle tones until a year or
so ago, etc etc.)  My office number is in my .sig.  The number it gave
me was 713.748.0596.  This number is the number that shows up on a
bill if you call someone collect from on campus, or use some LD
companies (it's been that number for the past five or six years).  If
you dial the number, you get a "not in service" recording from SWBT.

I didn't even have to try to fool it. :-(

J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu
Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Skate UNIX(r)

[Moderator's Note: Almost the same thing happened when we tried it
today from an extension on a Rolm PBX which has a bunch of DID lines
coming into it. Dialing 9, then the number got us back a message
saying our number was entirely different, but on the same prefix. When
we dialed that number, surprise! The switchboard operator answered,
and said we came up on the number for incoming calls. But the number
read back was not the main number.  PT]

am299bv%sdcc6@ucsd.edu (Ravinder Bhumbla) (08/02/90)

In article <10318@accuvax.nwu.edu> foxtail!phillips@ucsd.edu (Peter
Phillips) writes:

>I found this number posted on a local BBS, and figured it had some
>entertainment value.  This is a demo number for some company selling
>something ANI related.  Anyway, here it is:  1-800-666-6258.

Here is yet another response.  I tried from my office in UC, San
Diego.  The number was (619) 534-7894 and is part of the campus wide
telephone system (534 prefix).

Well the company's machine got my area code correct (619), but gave my
local number as 450-9532.  When I dialled 450-9532 I got a "boing"
with the recording that the number has been disconnected or is not in
service.

Ravinder Bhumbla	rbhumbla@ucsd.edu	Office Phone: (619)534-7894

patrickh@rice.edu (Patrick L Humphrey) (08/02/90)

I just tried Access Logic Tech's ANI number, and after the obligatory
spiel it informs me that I'm calling from 713-527-8101.  That just
happens to be the number of the Rice campus switchboard, but I placed
the call from the computer room's outside line, which is the only one
that isn't part of the mangled Centrex-type system we have.  At least
it got the NPA and CO right, though.

Patrick L. Humphrey  (patrickh@rice.edu)
Networking & Computing Systems
Rice University, Houston, Texas

clements@bbn.com (08/02/90)

I called it from work.  We (BBN) have a Rolm PBX with 7500 DID numbers
in the 617-873-xxxx exchange.  It gave me back 617-491-1850, which was
BBN's original number 25 years ago and which we still keep in case
someone has ancient stationary or some such.  I guess that's our
billing number.

[Does it work from Pennsylvania?  If so, somebody send in the SWAT
team!]

Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com

[Moderator's Note: My gosh, yes! I wonder if anyone has notified the
authorities in PA of how their rights are being violated by this
service. I wonder what would happen if phone subscribers with 800
numbers insisted that their telco quit routing them *any* 800 calls
from Pennsylvania until such time as it becomes legal to know the
number of the telephone used in the call to them -- which, after all
they are paying for?   PT]

thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu (Thomas Lapp) (08/02/90)

I have not yet tried it from my work phone, which is on a private PBX,
and uses AT&T tie-lines, but from home (MCI is my 1+ carrier), it read
it off correctly.  The other thing of note was that in the speil, the
synthisized voice said something about it getting ANI from MCI lines.
Did that also mean that it knew that my LD carrier was MCI or was it
that it gets its info from the same source that MCI does for my LD
billing?
                         - tom

internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas
Location     : Newark, DE, USA

bmr@ihuxz.att.com (Bryan M Richardson) (08/02/90)

Dialing from a 5ESS(R) based ISDN centrex location, I placed two calls
 -- one "normally" and one using the "private number" feature of the
ISDN BRI interface.  Both calls resulted in my station number (708)
979-6157 being read back to me instead of the 'general' number, (708)
979-2000.  Apparently the private number feature only works on
internal centrex calls.

Just one observation,

Bryan Richardson
AT&T Bell Laboratories

Arthur_Axelrod.WBST128@xerox.com (08/02/90)

Well, I just tried 1-800-666-6258 from my office phone, which is on a
non-Bell Centrex-like system.  (Don't recall what kind of switch the
TelCo uses.)  It got my area code right, but told me my phone number
was 555-5555.  Amusing.

   Art Axelrod
   Xerox Webster Research Center

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (08/03/90)

   Re: Use of 800-666-6258 for ANI test:

I tried it from my office phone, and it apparently yields the phone
number that would show up on my phone bill if I placed a credit card
call.  I.e., instead of getting "abcd", the extension I am using, I
get "0efg".  I tried calling the latter number as a seven-digit local
call, and got "not in service for incoming calls".  (This is at
Aberdeen, Maryland.)

tep@tots.logicon.com (Tom Perrine) (08/03/90)

OK, I tried it out through our PBX, which uses (abuses) MCI, and I
noticed that the recorded voice mentioned that my carrier is MCI.

Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon                                 |UUCP: nosc!hamachi!tots!tep
Tactical and Training Systems Division  |-or-  sun!suntan!tots!tep
San Diego CA                            |GENIE: T.PERRINE

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/03/90)

tep@tots.logicon.com (Tom Perrine) writes:

> OK, I tried it out through our PBX, which uses (abuses) MCI, and I
> noticed that the recorded voice mentioned that my carrier is MCI.

I heard mention of MCI, as well, but my default carrier at home is
Telecom USA. In any case, I was given my correct number, so it's
getting ANI from more than just MCI.

As a sidereal note, the demo appears to be aimed at Cable TV companies
who collect Pay-Per-View orders with ANI. Paragon Cable, here in
Minneapolis, does that for the First Choice channels. When I first got
here, the ordering number was a local call... now, it's been changed
to an 800 number. Perhaps Paragon is already using this very same
system?

    Roy M. Silvernail
    now available at:
 cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (08/03/90)

Thomas Lapp <thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu> writes:

> Did that also mean that it knew that my LD carrier was MCI or was it
> that it gets its info from the same source that MCI does for my LD
> billing?

When you call an 800 number, it matters not what your default LD
carrier is. The call is routed over the carrier that corresponds to
the 800 prefix that you dialed. A complete list of carriers vs
prefixes was published not long ago in the Digest.

For instance, if you try to dial a 10XXX code in front of an 800
number, you will probably get a recording that says that it is not
necessary to dial a long distance company code. The fact that you have
MCI as a carrier and that this particular number is an MCI InWATS is
purely coincidental. ANI is sent to the carrier on all calls from an
FGD compliant office. Even from PA.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

cgw@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (08/03/90)

I tried it from home and work. From home it worked just fine, and,
contrary to most of the others' results, it was right from work too.
It could be that the reason is that UNT just got a new GTE Centranet
PBX(is that what that is?).  (Even thought it _is_ GTE, I like it. You
can forward calls off campus, there are 4 types of rings, busy number
callback, forward on no answer, forward on busy, forward all ... I have
heard little/no complaints from people on campus.)

Ps: thanks to Ernest H. Robl (ehr@ecsvax) for the Scanner World info.

chris williams, `gilligan' | cgw@vaxb.acs.unt.edu         CGW@UNTVAX{.bitnet}
programmer/operator        | UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAX::CGW
university of north texas  |
denton, texas 76203        | at&t : +1 817 565-4161

dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (08/03/90)

When you call an 800 number, it doesn't matter who your default LD
carrier is ... the called party selects the carrier for 800 calls.

Dave Levenson		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

peterson@choctaw.csc.ti.com (Bob Peterson) (08/03/90)

>[Moderator's Note: I tried it from home, and sure enough, it read back
>my number to me. I tried it using my cell phone, and it read back a
>totally different number: 312-229-XXXX which is NOT my cell number; is
>not in service for incoming calls,

  The telephone system here has recently been switched from Centrex to
a PBX.  Calling the above 800 number from my office (214/995-6080)
results in a read back of the correct area code, but, like the
Moderator's experience, the number read back is a totally unrelated
number: 231-XXXX, where XXXX is not 6080.  Dialing that number results
in an intercept _from the PBX_: "The number cannot be completed as
dialed.  Please check the number and dial again.  TI 10."

  I gather from the 800 number announcement that this is being
marketed to cable television companies?

Bob Peterson                Compuserve: 70235,326
Texas Instruments           Internet: peterson@csc.ti.com
P.O. Box 655474, MS238      Landline: (214) 995-6080
Dallas, Texas, USA 75265

dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (08/03/90)

I tried their ANI demo number from several places in NJ.  It appears
that they always get the calling number, and not the billing number,
in cases where they're different.  From a centrex station, they got
the station number, not the company listed number.

theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu.sas.upenn.edu (George A. Theall) (08/03/90)

In article <10344@accuvax.nwu.edu> clements@bbn.com writes:

>[Does it work from Pennsylvania?  If so, somebody send in the SWAT
>team!]

    Yes, indeed it does work from Pennsylvania. I called from school
(according to its telephone directory, served by a Centex direct
inward-dial system) and heard my number correctly read back to me.

    I wonder whether Gov. Casey would be pleased? :-)

George A. Theall, Dept of Economics, Univ. of Pennsylvania
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu

ken@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Ken Jongsma) (08/03/90)

I gave it a try this morning from work. We have a Dimension system
with DID.  The first few times I tried it, the number was busy. For a
few moments, I thought the operator was getting tired of the sudden
interest in his/her number!

Anyway, they replied with our billing number, not my desk number.

BTW: The reference to MCI refers to the 800 number you dialed (1-800-666
belongs to MCI), it does not mean you have MCI dial 1 service.

Ken Jongsma                                  ken@wybbs.mi.org
Smiths Industries                            ken%wybbs@sharkey.umich.edu
Grand Rapids, Michigan                       ..sharkey.cc.umich.edu!wybbs!ken

kityss@att.uucp (Arnette P Baker +1 708 510 6437) (08/03/90)

As previously reported by many telecom readers, I too called from our
PBX.  As expected, I was given the "billing number" for our location
(708) 510-4000.  My DID number is (708) 510-6437.  In many cases a
PBX's billing number will also be that of the switch board (as is the
case here), but may also be a non-existent number (i.e. it can't be
dialed, it is for billing only).  In this case it sounds like the
system gets very confused.

A couple of other observations.  I listened carefully to the
recording.  Several people have said the system noted that they were
calling over MCI.  Are you sure?  What I heard was a pitch selling MCI
based 800 ANI services.  Sounds like this outfit is a re-seller
(aggregator) of MCI services.  I was definitely NOT calling over MCI,
since I work for AT&T and called from my desk. |^)

Also, I was slightly amused to see someone from Bell Labs mention that
they were surprised that there ISDN private call feature only worked
INTRA-group.  There were two reasons that this failed.  1) ISDN based
caller-id, and the associated call blocking (privacy) feature, are
only tariffed for INTRA-Group use here in Illinois.  Caller-ID is
currently being debated in the state legislator - and it does not look
good for proponents of the feature.  This INTRA-Group restriction on
ISDN services applies in most places, unless that area is tariffed for
Caller-ID.  Note, this is a legal restriction not a technical one.  2)
The 800 service that delivers ANI does not work on the same
protocol/mechanism that Caller-ID does.  Caller-ID is a SS7 (CCS7)
based service that delivers calling party identification via out of
band signalling.  ANI delivers the billing number (not always that of
the calling party) through a different protocol.  I am not sure of the
mechanism of ANI delivery, but it is not SS7 based.  Because of this
difference, call block (either per call or permanent blocking) will
not work to block ANI delivery - the call block feature is for SS7
services.

I should point out that Caller-ID may also deliver the wrong number
for PBX, Multi-party, or Multi-line group calls.  Since, most PBXs are
connected to the CO by a trunk (as opposed to a line), the number
transmitted by Caller-ID tends to be the "main" (pilot) number for
these types of lines, because that is all the CO knows about.  This
problem may depend on the type of CO switch, but to my knowledge there
is no protocol yet defined to pass SS7 type information from a PBX to
a CO.

Arnette Baker  AT&T Network Systems  Lisle, Il. 60532  kityss@ihlpf.att.com

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (08/03/90)

Interesting, when I called it told me my area code was "713" and my
number was "555-5555". When I called "555-5555" it told me that it was
not a local call, and I had to dial "1" before calling it.

Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`
<peter@ficc.ferranti.com>

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (08/03/90)

In article <10339@accuvax.nwu.edu>, thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu
(Thomas Lapp) writes:

> The other thing of note was that in the speil, the
> synthisized voice said something about it getting ANI from MCI lines.
> Did that also mean that it knew that my LD carrier was MCI or was it
> that it gets its info from the same source that MCI does for my LD
> billing?

They are getting their ANI FROM MCI.  800-666 is MCI's.  I don't
believe that your LD carrier enters into the picture when you dial
800.  True?

In article <10344@accuvax.nwu.edu>, clements@bbn.com writes:

> [Does it work from Pennsylvania?  If so, somebody send in the SWAT
> team!]

Yes it does.  Calling out from our local trunks would return a number
that I recognized as being in our hunt.

> [Moderator's Note: My gosh, yes! I wonder if anyone has notified the
> authorities in PA of how their rights are being violated by this
> service.

 From the caller-id-legal-decsion on telecom-archives (without
overstepping my legal knowledge, I find it very difficult to
acknowledge the context from which I took this -- plz check the
document if you are interested):

     The Legislature has specifically excluded from the term 'pen
     register' devices used by the telephone company or by the customer to
     record outgoing numbers for billing or cost accounting purposes in the
     ordinary course of business.

However, one statement in the doc claims that this does not apply to a
'trap and trace device.'  I haven't spent enough time with the doc to
determine if this is significant, however, I begin to wonder if 800
ANI (not CALLER*ID) is excluded from 'pen register.'

Craig R. Watkins		Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    		Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311			UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

hammond@cod.nosc.mil (John A. Hammond) (08/03/90)

Tried this from my office, an AT&T System something-or-other and was
told that I was using MCI (correct I think) and area code 619.  The
rest of the number was bogus and "not in service" when I called it.
Called from home and the number was right but they still said MCI when
I have Sprint as my LD.  BTW PacBell is the local "fun" company.

davidb@pacer.uucp (David Barts) (08/04/90)

>Anyway, here it is:  1-800-666-6258.

I have just tried dialing this three times, and have gotten busies all
three tries.  Make that FOUR times.  I think SOMEbody's going to have
an unexpectedly high phone bill next month.  I can see the headlines
now: "Hacker/Phreak bulletin board publicizes unlisted number: Costs
XYZ Company thousands." :-)

Or maybe they'll just use the ANI to generate a telemarketing list,
and recoup expenses that way.  (Maybe that's the purpose of the
number :-) ).

Just dialed a fifth time ... still busy.

David Barts			Pacer Corporation, Bothell, WA
davidb@pacer.uucp		...!uunet!pilchuck!pacer!davidb

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (08/04/90)

I called the AccessLogic Technologies ANI number from a University of
Toronto number (416-978-7xxx), and was told that I was calling from
716-852-4200, which is a Buffalo, N.Y., number.  I assume the
University of Toronto centrex routed the call through a tieline to
Buffalo.

The message on the other end was talking about using ANI for cable
systems, so I assume that the target market for this is cable
television systems thinking about pay-per-view services.

scjones@uunet.uu.net (Larry Jones) (08/04/90)

In article <10338@accuvax.nwu.edu>, the TELECOM Moderator writes:

> Dialing 9, then the number got us back a message
> saying our number was entirely different, but on the same prefix. When
> we dialed that number, surprise! The switchboard operator answered,
> and said we came up on the number for incoming calls. But the number
> read back was not the main number.  PT]

That's almost exactly what happened when I tried it with our Dimension
(85?) PBX.  We have 600 - 700 direct dial numbers of the form
513-576-2xxx.  It got the correct area code, but the number wasn't
even the same prefix (575 instead of 576).  Calling that number,
however, got the switchboard operator!

Larry Jones     UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones  SDRC scjones@thor.UUCP
2000 Eastman Dr.   		BIX: ltl
Milford, OH 45150-2789
AT&T: (513) 576-2070

esmith@apple.com (Eric Smith) (08/04/90)

In article <10363@accuvax.nwu.edu> patrickh@rice.edu (Patrick L
Humphrey) writes:

>I just tried Access Logic Tech's ANI number, and after the obligatory
>spiel it informs me that I'm calling from 713-527-8101.  That just
>happens to be the number of the Rice campus switchboard, but I placed
>the call from the computer room's outside line, which is the only one
>that isn't part of the mangled Centrex-type system we have.  At least
>it got the NPA and CO right, though.

That is what you would reasonably expect to happen.  800 ANI doesn't
return the calling number; it returns the BILLING number.  Many
businesses, Universities, etc. have one billing number for all of
their lines, which is often (but not always) the same as their main
number for incoming calls.

Eric L. Smith
esmith@apple.com

Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of my employer,
friends, family, computer, or even me!  :-)

la063249@cs.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (08/04/90)

In article <10343@accuvax.nwu.edu> Tom Perrine <tep@tots.logicon.com>
writes:

>OK, I tried it out through our PBX, which uses (abuses) MCI, and I
>noticed that the recorded voice mentioned that my carrier is MCI.

It is not telling you that your carrier is MCI it is saying that their
carrier for the 800 number is MCI and that MCI offers an ANI product
and they have equipment that uses this service from MCI.

Steve Forrette <forrette@sim.berkeley.edu> (08/04/90)

In article <10431@accuvax.nwu.edu> Arnette Baker writes:

>I was definitely NOT calling over MCI,
>since I work for AT&T and called from my desk. |^)

But you WERE!  As others have pointed out, 800-666 is owned by MCI.
Whenever any call is placed to 800-666, your CO directs the call to
MCI's POP and they handle the call from there.  Your default equal
access carrier doesn't even come into play.

>This problem may depend on the type of CO switch, but to my
>knowledge there is no protocol yet defined to pass SS7 type
>information from a PBX to a CO.

One of my friend's dad works for US West, and we were talking about
SS7 one day.  He mentioned that Hewlett Packard in Corvallis, OR is
currently testing SS7 services delivered to the customer.  Apparently,
there is some sort of protocol defined.  He indicated that in the near
future, high-end PBX's will be able to have a 56kbps SS7 connection to
the CO, in addition of course to the analog trunks, or that one of the
channels in a T1 could be devoted to this purpose.  This would allow
the PBX to directly access and control the SS7 features for the
customer's lines.  Presumably, all call setup could be done over the
SS7, instead of the in-band DTMF or MF or whatever the analog trunks
are using now.  Interesting.

singer@uunet.uu.net> (08/04/90)

I tried it from my office phone [(408)927-2509], which is on a ROLM
switch.  The voice at the other end read back (408) 997-6075.  I
called *that* number, and nearly had my ears blown off by a loud tone.

I was a bit puzzled by the reference to "MCI", since the default
carrier at this location is AT&T.  Is the carrier for calls to (800)
numbers controlled by the recipient?

David Singer -- singer@ibm.com

[Moderator's Note: Previous messages over the past two days have noted
that 800 calls are handled by whatever carrier is assigned to the
number. Your own carrier is not involved. The recipient controls it. PT]

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) (08/04/90)

I got 206/555-5555 from here.  Since 555 is not a local prefix, I'm
not going to try it out -- but it obviously has nothing to do with me.

I wonder if these people knew their service didn't work very well when
they decided to spend the money to let us all know how chancy it was!

Irving Wolfe    Happy Man Corp.   irv@happym.wa.com    206/463-9399 ext.101
      4410 SW Point Robinson Road,  Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399

[Moderator's Note: What's with this '555-5555' business? You are the
second person today to mention getting this response. Is this
perchance some default answer it gives when it can't find anything
more accurate?  From here, 555-5555 got me 'Information, Mr. Brown.
May I help you?'   PT]

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (08/04/90)

Just thought I'd try it from home (Houston, Tx) -- it got the right
number, but no mention of my LD carrier.

I can see a use for this at my house.  I used to have an 3b1 with the
VoicePower board (8bit ISDNish chip and software) which I used as an
answering machine at my house.  With a toy from the company who has
the 800 number, I could have different messages depending on who's
calling.

Too bad I don't like ANI.  I'll go back to the 3b1 with my message of
"If you're in Eric's secret club, enter the password from your
touchtone phone.  Otherwise, leave a message at the beep."  It allowed
my friends to call me from payphones and bypass the answering machine
all together.

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (08/04/90)

Arnette P Baker +1 708 510 6437 <ihlpf!kityss@att.uucp> writes:

> A couple of other observations.  I listened carefully to the
> recording.  Several people have said the system noted that they were
> calling over MCI.  Are you sure?  What I heard was a pitch selling MCI
> based 800 ANI services.  Sounds like this outfit is a re-seller
> (aggregator) of MCI services.  I was definitely NOT calling over MCI,
> since I work for AT&T and called from my desk. |^)

Shame on you -- you should know better! It doesn't matter if you were
calling from the home where Alexander Graham Bell was born, you WERE
using MCI. When you dial an 800 call, it is routed to the nearest CCIS
tandem by the local telco (no AT&T). The number is transmitted to St.
Louis where it is looked up in AT&T's database. St. Louis returns the
POTS number, carrier, and if the number is accessable from the callers
phone. Assuming the call is allowed, then a standard LD call is placed
from the local CCIS tandem OVER THE ASSIGNED CARRIER to the POTS
number revealed by the database.

Remember -- when you call an 800 number, the call is carried by the
IXC assigned to the 800 prefix, NOT the default carrier that may be
assigned to your phone.

Eric Smith <esmith@apple.com> writes:

> That is what you would reasonably expect to happen.  800 ANI doesn't
> return the calling number; it returns the BILLING number.

Ok, folks, time to set this straight. There is confusion here. 800 ANI
sends the CALLING number NOT the billing number. The reason this does
not always appear to be the case is because of the way telcos
sometimes treat medium and large PBXs. If a PBX goes in with a pool
of, say, fifty trunks for general incoming/local outgoing (including
800), there is no reason for the individual lines to have separate
numbers. So they simply assign each and every trunk the same number.
If you dial the number readback on any one of the lines, you will get
the same number.  This has nothing to do with billing arrangements;
the numbers actually have the same number. They are differentiated by
"terminal" numbers (1-50 in our example). Incoming calls either hit
random pairs or start at terminal 1 and proceed toward terminal 50.

The other thing to remember is that in large PBXs, outgoing calls are
often routed on completely different lines than incoming calls. And if
you dial a toll call, it may go out on WATS. But ANI is NEVER based on
billing arrangements, but rather on the particular alias set up in the
CO -- almost always the directory number of the line involved.

My lines are all billed under one of two numbers (measured and
unmeasured cannot be billed together.) Our ANI fun number returns the
number of the actual line that I call it on, not the number that it is
billed to. Exactly as I would expect.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

slr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Rhoades) (08/05/90)

> ..800-666-6258

 From several people I've talked to who are using MCI's in-bound 800
service with real-time ANI, I am told that MCI sends them
(Area-code)555-5555 if there's no ANI available.

I posted this observation several weeks ago and it still seems to hold
true: When calling the demo number direct, it gives me my number as it
should. But, when calling thru the Pac*Bell TOPS Operator, it gives
(818) 555-5555.  It would appear that ANI is easily defeated just by
going thru the Operator.

Steve

steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) (08/05/90)

In article <10410@accuvax.nwu.edu> David Singer <ibmarc!ks!ibm.
com!singer@uunet.uu.net> writes:

>I tried it from my office phone [(408)927-2509], which is on a ROLM

Ah!  An IBM'er...

>switch.  The voice at the other end read back (408) 997-6075.  I
>called *that* number, and nearly had my ears blown off by a loud tone.

That loud tone has me wondering ... There's another number (408)
446-0044 that generates almose exactly (off by ~4Hz) the same loud
tone.  It sounds like it's around 500Hz, and close to the maximum
amplitude for the line.  Does anybody know what it's good for?

Steve Watt

 ...!claris!wattres!steve	wattres!steve@claris.com also works

"Craig R. Watkins" <CRW@icf.hrb.com> (08/05/90)

In article <10425@accuvax.nwu.edu>, davidb@pacer.uucp (David Barts)
writes:

>I have just tried dialing this three times, and have gotten busies all
>three tries.  Make that FOUR times.

I've gotten quite a few busies, too.  However, whenever I get thru, I
seem to be able to get thru again and again.  Maybe just a
coincidence.

>I think SOMEbody's going to have an unexpectedly high phone bill
>next month.

I thought of the same and quickly wondered if MCI was in on this
promotion.  For some reason, I never think of an LD carrier as having
a "phone bill" to deal with!

gordon@uunet.uu.net> (08/06/90)

>[Moderator's Note: My gosh, yes! I wonder if anyone has notified the
>authorities in PA of how their rights are being violated by this
>service. I wonder what would happen if phone subscribers with 800
>numbers insisted that their telco quit routing them *any* 800 calls
>from Pennsylvania until such time as it becomes legal to know the
>number of the telephone used in the call to them -- which, after all
>they are paying for?   PT]

Is that the legal situation when the caller is in Pennsylvania and the
callee is outside?

I tried the Access Logic Technologies number from 817-249.  It worked.
Since the non-800 number they give for more information is also in
817, I assume the 800 number also is based in Fort Worth.  I believe
the mention of MCI is that they are getting the info from MCI, NOT
that they know who your carrier is.  My default LD carrier is
/dev/null.  If I try 10288-1-800-666, I don't get to finish the
number, and I get a recording telling me not to use a long-distance
company access code.  Interestingly, I do NOT get such a recording
when I dial 10288-249-xxxx to get my other line at home (yes, routing
an intra-CO call through AT&T.  It doesn't show up on the bill,
either).

I called a friend, who called the number from 717 (just outside
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania).  It worked.  The recording also referred to
MCI.  My friend has AT&T as primary carrier.

Is there any significance to the fact that "666" is also known as "the
number of the beast"?

				Gordon L. Burditt
				sneaky.lonestar.org!gordon

[Moderator's Note: 10666 went unassigned as a carrier access code for
quite a long time for the same superstitious reason: Whichever telco
used it would have rumors spread about them similar to the ones which
have plagued Proctor and Gamble for over a decade.   PT]

Jeremy Grodberg <jgro@apldbio.com> (08/06/90)

Well, I tried it from work (we have some sort of ROLM system
supporting around 1000 phones), and it correctly read back our main
incoming number.  We do not have DID, so it couldn't have given the
number of my extention, but I did expect to get back the number of our
outbound trunk.  I'm impressed.

Jeremy Grodberg
jgro@apldbio.com

Bill McGown <CFWPM@ecncdc.bitnet> (08/06/90)

  I got the same "555-5555" response that some of your other readers
did. I suspect that it might be a function of being serviced by an
Independent (Ill. Consolidated Telephone Co.) company. Is this a
common thread running among those of us who have gotten the "555-5555"
response?

Bill (W. P.) McGown       BITNET: CFWPM@ECNCDC
Psychology Dept.
Eastern Ill. Univ.        'My views do not represent
Charleston, IL             those of my employer. If they
61920                      appear to do so, please inform
                           either me or my employer so that
                           one of us can change positions.'

[Moderator's Note: Per previous reports, the 555-5555 is a default
answer given when the ANI is not available.  PT]

Steve Forrette <forrette@sim.berkeley.edu> (08/06/90)

I wondered what would happen if I called the ANI 800 number in
conjunction with call forwarding.  I turned on call forwarding on my
main number to the 800 number, then called my main number from another
number.  The number read back was my main number (the one I had
called, *not* the one I was calling from).

"Jeff A. Duffel" <jad@sactoh0.uucp> (08/06/90)

Dialing the number through TSPS results in having my number read back.
I understand that my TSPS operators have a console button to push to
route thru the ANI and apparently the ones I have reached follow their
instructions.  There is however a POTS number for TSPS here that some
'phreakers' found that will route the call without ANI, however,
attempting toll calls thru this number is impossible since the
operator will always ask you for the number you are calling from due
to ANI failure.

Jeff

hskelton@uunet.uu.net> (08/06/90)

writes:

>>Anyway, here it is:  1-800-666-6258.

I tried this from an FTS line and it reported a totally different
number than the one I was at. To see if the "other" number reported
would get to my phone I called it! Guess what ... got "This number is
not in service" (DOT message).

Great! Now the sales hounds can't locate me via 800# call back! 8-)

I wonder if this holds true for all other FTS accesses? Perhaps
someone could try it with caller ID!

Dean Riddlebarger <dean@truevision.com> (08/06/90)

I tried the number through two routes at the office.  Normal 9+
dialing from my System 25, where our ARS is set to throw 800 calls out
to the CO trunks, yielded our main BTN.  No surprise there.  On the
off chance that IBT was allowing unique CO line identifiers to get out
via the ANI interface, I also tried a bypass technique on the 25 to
grab a CO trunk directly.  No dice -- the local IBT switch apparently
passes the main BTN for any call from our CO trunks.

I wonder if this company is working a comarketing deal with MCI?
Their equipment is obviously getting ANI input from a variety of
carriers, but their recorded pitch specifically refers to MCI.

Dean Riddlebarger
MIS Manager - Truevision, Inc.
[317] 841-0332
uucp: uunet!epicb!dean   dean@truevision.com

Will Martin <wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil> (08/06/90)

My experience was similar to that of Ravinder Bhumbla.  I called from
work where my number is (314) 331-4593, on the NEC phone system GSA
stuck us with when we moved into this newly-refurbished building.  The
ANI spiel gave me back my correct 314 area code, but the number that
followed was a completely off-the-wall "421-2227".  Some federal
offices here are on "425" exchanges, but Defense Telephone Service is
on "263", and a quick scan of the phone directory "blue pages" of
federal office listings showed no "421"s.  A call to "421-2227" got an
intercept with a message about the number being "discontinued or no
longer in service".  I just wonder if their ANI got just the area code
and no number, and the software didn't clear out the buffer where the
"local number" was stored, and so then read out my area code followed
by the local number of whoever called previous to me?

Anybody out there call this ANI line about 0905 CDT or so on 6 Aug and
have "421-2227" as their phone number? The ANI 800 number was busy for
quite a while before I got through, so somebody was on it just before
me. Would be ironic if it was a fellow Telecom reader...

Regards,

Will
wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil OR wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

hwt@uunet.uu.net> (08/07/90)

I just tried Access Logic Tech's ANI number, and it told me I was
calling from a 919 (North Carolina) number.  Reasonable, as I was
actually using the ESN (electronic switched network) lines, which are
CCS7 linked from my 'real' location in Ottawa to our RTP lab.

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA 613-765-2337

Dave Levenson <dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net> (08/07/90)

In article <10416@accuvax.nwu.edu>, cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M.
Silvernail) writes:

> I heard mention of MCI, as well, but my default carrier at home is
> Telecom USA. In any case, I was given my correct number, so it's
> getting ANI from more than just MCI.

No, they only get it from MCI.  When you call an 800 number, your
default LD carrier doesn't matter.  It's the called party's carrier
who handles your call.  (Remember, they pay for the call; they
choose the carrier!)

In article <10427@accuvax.nwu.edu>, esmith@apple.com (Eric Smith)
writes:

> That is what you would reasonably expect to happen.  800 ANI doesn't
> return the calling number; it returns the BILLING number.  Many
> businesses, Universities, etc. have one billing number for all of
> their lines, which is often (but not always) the same as their main
> number for incoming calls.

This may sometimes be true.  Calling from NJ, however, I got the
_calling_ number every time, even when I definitely called from lines
billed to another number to check this out.  The number it read back
is the same number that gets displayed on the Caller*ID display when
receiving a local call from the same place.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

Rod Troch <troch@pilot.njin.net> (08/07/90)

I too called the number.  I was given the extension of the phone I was
calling from, not the incoming or main switchboard line (Kean College).

What is kind of interesting is that they still give the area code as
201 not the 908 code that we are switching too.  I have seen other
services that have already converted the 201 to 908.  Interesting...

If you yell: Rod Troch; Forget it though, I will never hear you!!
 But try one of these:
internet   : troch@pilot.njin.net
           : ** under development ** troch@luau.kean.edu
compuserve : 75335.544@compuserve.com

John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> (08/07/90)

Well, I tried the 800-666-6258 ANI demonstration number in several
different ways.

1) When I dialed it from home, 212-777-XXXX, it read back my own number.

2) I then tried it several different ways from work, a major New York
bank.  I don't know the type of phone system here, except that it is a
large PBX system.  My direct line is 212-493-XXXX.  When I dialed the
call direct, with 9-1-800, it read back 212-968-XXXX.  Dialing this
number produced endless ringing; it is not recognizable to me as a
company exchange.

3) I then dialed 9-0 for the New York Telephone operator, who put the
call through.  The report was 212-555-5555, so apparently the ANI was
defeated in that case.

4) I then dialed 9-0 again and asked for the AT&T operator, who told
me that she couldn't put through a call to a non-AT&T 800 number.  (As
others have stated, the 800-666 prefix is owned by MCI.)

5) Finally, I dialed 9-00 here, which got me an MCI operator.  MCI is
the bank's long distance company.  The MCI operator stated she could
not dial an 800 number call, even to an MCI 800 number!  I had the
call transferred to a supervisor, and finally to MCI customer service.
Customer Service's first attempt to get the call through failed due to
a busy signal.

6) I repeatedly dialed MCI Customer Service at 800-444-3333.  I want
to note here the contributions of Susan Cozza, who did most of the
work with me.  (I told her and other MCI customer service personnel
that my PBX was unable to dial 800-666 numbers due to a software
fault.)  Each time they attempted to place the call for me, the line
was busy.  Susan checked and stated that there were an insufficient
number of trunks on that line to handle the call, since the recorded
message was unusually long, and that I should keep trying.

7) Finally, Susan got through.  I expected another 212-555-1212 ANI
failure.  What I got, though, was 914-939-XXXX!  A check with 914 DA
informs me that this is a number in Portchester, NY, a suburb north of
NYC.  I called back to 914 DA and asked for MCI in Portchester: I
received a 914-937-XXXX number in Ryebrook, the next town over.
(Probably they share a CO.)

All in all, an interesting experiment (hack?).

cowan@marob.masa.com	(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)

Alec <PCHROMCZ@drew.bitnet> (08/08/90)

I called 800-666-6258 from a Drew University digital PBX line, and the
ANI returned several different numbers, which were identified by
someone else here as a few of the outgoing trunk lines.  Calling any
of these numbers returns a "this number is not in service"
announcement.

        -*- Alec -*-
        PCHROMCZ@drunivac.bitnet
        PCHROMCZ@drunivac.drew.edu
        ...!rutgers!njin!drew!drunivac!PCHROMCZ

"Steve Huff, U. of Kansas, Lawrence" <HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> (08/08/90)

Tonight I finally got a chance to play with the ANI number.  And guess
what - it didn't work!  I dialed 1 800 666 6258 several times, and
received the same response: no ring but a connection is made, sounds
far away (or could be MCI to next door - identical sound quality).

Did the number die?  Or could it be that it doesn't like a/c 913?

Steve Huff, MBA student, University of Kansas
(currently interning at Hill's Pet Products, Topeka, KS) WorkNet: 913 231 5760
My electronic dicta may or may not represent views of either organization.
Internet:  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      Bitnet:	HUFF@Ukanvax.Bitnet
Snail:     P.O. Box 1225, Lawrence, KS  66044-8225	HomeNet: 913 749 4720

<bill@eedsp.gatech.edu> (08/08/90)

In article <10562@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com>
writes:

>Well, I tried the 800-666-6258 ANI demonstration number in several
>different ways.

[first two ways deleted]

>3) I then dialed 9-0 for the New York Telephone operator, who put the
>call through.  The report was 212-555-5555, so apparently the ANI was
>defeated in that case.

>4) I then dialed 9-0 again and asked for the AT&T operator, who told
>me that she couldn't put through a call to a non-AT&T 800 number.  (As
>others have stated, the 800-666 prefix is owned by MCI.)

Two noteworthy items from when I tried to call the number on Sunday,
Aug.  5:

1)  The local Southern Bell operator said she cannot (will not?) dial
    to 800 numbers.  I assume they are just allowed to complete inter-
    LATA calls.  The SoBell operator said that I should dial 10288+00
    to get the AT&T operator to assist.

2)  Same outcome here as John, AT&T operator tried the number and we
    got an intercept that said that "Your number cannot be completed
    as dialed."  AT&T operator said that they are unable to complete
    calls to non-AT&T 800 providers.

Seems that ANI-defeat schemes which involve going through either the
BOC or AT&T operator won't work in this neck of the woods.  Anyone got
a POTS number for SoBell operator in Atlanta?

Bill Berbenich
Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!{backbones}!gatech!eedsp!bill
Internet: bill@eedsp.gatech.edu

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu> (08/09/90)

Phillips) writes:

> This is a demo number for some company selling
> something ANI related.  Anyway, here it is:  1-800-666-6258.

> [Moderator's Note: I tried it from home, and sure enough, it read back
> my number to me. Try your tie lines, special circuits, via 950, etc ...

I tried it several times from the 206-881 exchange (GTE) in Redmond,
WA and got absolutely nothing ... no ringback tone, no busy, no
re-order, no nothing!

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or,  tad@ssc.UUCP

[Moderator's Note: Did you ask the operator to assist in dialing?  PT]

"Michael P. Deignan" <mpd@anomaly.sbs.com> (08/11/90)

In article <10582@accuvax.nwu.edu>  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
(Steve Huff, U. of Kansas, Lawrence) writes:

>Tonight I finally got a chance to play with the ANI number.  And guess
>what - it didn't work!  I dialed 1 800 666 6258 several times, and
>received the same response: no ring but a connection is made, sounds
>far away (or could be MCI to next door - identical sound quality).

>Did the number die?  Or could it be that it doesn't like a/c 913?

I've experienced something similar.

My carrier is US Sprint. When I dial the number, I get some "clicks"
(which I presume is my call being switched onto a LD Trunk of some
sort...) and then ... nothing ... Dead air. I've even waited up to 60
seconds to see if it would take that long to finish the connection.

Michael P. Deignan #  mpd@anomaly.sbs.com  # ...!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!mpd
Author, SCO Ported Software Compendium, and Maintainer of Online Archives
Telebit: +1 401 455 0347  Login: xxcp  Password: xenix  (local rmail ok)
Files: /usr/spool/uucppublic/SOFTLIST   /usr/spool/uucppublic/ARCHELP

gutierre@nsipo.nasa.gov (08/12/90)

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) writes:

|> Well, I tried the 800-666-6258 ANI demonstration number in several
|> different ways.

["Different ways" deleted except #7]

|> 7) Finally, Susan got through [from MCI].  I expected another
|> 212-555-1212 ANI
|> failure.  What I got, though, was 914-939-XXXX!  A check with 914 DA
|> informs me that this is a number in Portchester, NY, a suburb north of
|> NYC.  I called back to 914 DA and asked for MCI in Portchester: I
|> received a 914-937-XXXX number in Ryebrook, the next town over.
|> (Probably they share a CO.)

MCI's North East customer service center is in Ryebrook, NY.  The MCI
rep was just dialling from her ACD console, and confrencing you in.
The "outside" lines on the ACD's are just good ol' POTS lines with MCI
as it's default carrier.  I did this all the time also from San
Francisco's customer service center (called the Pacific Division).
Before MCI got it's first TOPS operator center in Omaha, Nebraska, we
"completed" calls by geting one of these POTS lines on the ACD,
calling 950-1022, dialling the number(s) ourselves, bridging the
customer on, then releasing the call.  The connection was poor, but
the customer usually was concerned about getting through, and not too
much concerned about line quality.

If you call that MCI Ryebrook number back, you should get Customer
Service, at least that's how it was set up on the old Infotron
ACD's ... but now, they bought new Aspect ACD's, and the Aspect's may
require dedicated outgoing trunks, as opposed to Infotron's ability to
share incoming/outgoing lines.  If you do get through, you may get a
surprized rep, since the display on her console shows which trunk
group the call is from ("Calling Card", "Trouble Reporting", "Customer
Service", etc...)  In San Francisco, it showed up as "POTS Trunk", and
the reps had no idea what POTS meant :-)

   Robert Michael Gutierrez
   Office of Space Science and Applications,
   NASA Science Internet - Network Operations Center.
   Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, California.

Robert.Savery@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Savery) (08/13/90)

 >> I heard mention of MCI, as well, but my default carrier at home is
 >> Telecom USA. In any case, I was given my correct number, so it's
 >> getting ANI from more than just MCI.

Not that it matters in the context of this discussion, but in case you
missed the news, Telecom USA was bought out by MCI.

I too had Telecom as my carrier until this sad day. I refuse to have
anything to do with MCI. Their business practices are just a little
too close to sleasy for my tastes. Not including taxes, their having
switched me to their service without my approval has cost me approx.
$40.00.

Headaches like that I just don't need. While I havn't actually done it
yet, looks like I'm gonna be one of the people switching back to AT&T.

See Ya!!

Bob

[1:285/666.5@fidonet] Trebor's Castle, Lavista Ne.

 --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
Robert.Savery@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org

Robert.Savery@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Savery) (08/13/90)

I sure would hate to be anywhere near that office when they get this
months phone bill!!

I hope the bean counters have their nitro pills handy!!

See Ya'll Later,