[comp.dcom.telecom] Privacy and Itemized Billing

mk59200@metso.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (08/08/90)

In article <10575@accuvax.nwu.edu>, kgreer@mcnc.org (Ken Greer) writes:

|>  Privacy ??  I'm confused.  You mean that in France I can
|> "non-invade" someone's privacy by calling him, but "invade" his
|> privacy by knowing his phone # (which I would know, since I had called
|> him) ?

The basic idea is to protect _your_ privacy by not showing to someone
else where you have called.  If the nubers are shown on the bill, that
means that they are stored somewhere, and someone can go through them
to see if you have made any 'suspicious' calls.  Don't you consider
this an invasion of your privacy?

|>   Seriously, how would anyone contest a wrongly charged call ?

The area code and time of call are sufficient for this purpose.
Additionally a few digits of the number are shown to remind _you_ of
the final destination of the call.

	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

kgreer@mcnc.org (Ken Greer) (08/13/90)

In article <10649@accuvax.nwu.edu> Kolkka Markku Olavi <mk59200@metso.
tut.fi> writes:

>|> Privacy ??  I'm confused.  You mean that in France I can
>|> "non-invade" someone's privacy by calling him, but "invade" his
>|> privacy by knowing his phone # (which I would know, since I had called
>|> him) ?

>The basic idea is to protect _your_ privacy by not showing to someone
>else where you have called.  If the nubers are shown on the bill, that
>means that they are stored somewhere, and someone can go through them
>to see if you have made any 'suspicious' calls.  Don't you consider
>this an invasion of your privacy?

Excuse me, but I thought the discussion was about the printing of the
numbers that I call, printed on _my_ phone bill ... which means that
they would come to _me_ and then I could choose who or who not to show
them to.  So why store any part of the number ??  A lot of good it is
to me to tell me I called someone (out of > five million in NC, say).

>Don't you consider this an invasion of your privacy?

Not unless the phone company decided to market this info, which so
far, I have not heard any concrete evidence of.

While we're on the subject, companies have known for a long time that
even the exchange you live in tells a lot (well, a least some) about
the person.  Affluent neighborhoods will be targeted much more for
some marketing ploys than will be a ghetto neighborhood.

Kim L. Greer			       try: klg@orion.mc.duke.edu
Duke University Medical Center		    kgreer@mcnc.org
Div. Nuclear Medicine  POB 3949             klg@dukeac.ac.duke.edu
Durham, NC 27710  919-660-2711x5223         fax: 919-681-5636