[comp.dcom.telecom] Two-line Systems

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (08/07/90)

I want to work from my home office as much as possible.  We'll have
two regular phone lines.  One will be primarily used as a typical
residential line (say, 555-1111; the other will receive calls
forwarded from my office on campus, and will be used to log-on our
computer system with a modem (say 555-2222).

I'd like to have a two-line phone in my home office.  In particular,
I'd like one that would switch calls from line to line if one is busy.
Eg, If someone tries to reach me at 555-2222 while I am logged-on,
555-1111 will ring.  As far as I can tell, the only way to do this is
via the phone company.  Problem is that this means commercial instead
of residential rates.  Is there any way to get the same effect with a
"feature" phone?

[Just in case: the relevant phone company is Bell Canada]

Thanks,

Stephane

[Moderator's Note: Not all telcos charge for hunt, let alone charge
business rates for the lines involved. Check the rates to be certain.
Also, many telcos offer only regular hunt, which means upward in
number sequence. They do not offer circular hunt, which would seem to
be what you require if you want the hunt to go both ways. 'Feature'
phones would be of no help.  PT]

oheare@uunet.uu.net (David O'Heare) (08/13/90)

In article <10545@accuvax.nwu.edu>, TELECOM Moderator writes:

> [Moderator's Note: Not all telcos charge for hunt, let alone charge
> business rates for the lines involved. Check the rates to be certain.
> Also, many telcos offer only regular hunt, which means upward in
> number sequence.

In the Ottawa area (served by Bell Canada), there is *only* circular
hunt available. One must accept calls to any number in the sequence on
any line in the hunt group, although *usually* the sequence is upward
by calling number.

Bell Canada does also charge for this service; $4 per month *per line*
(which means that for a two-line hunt group as described, the charge
would be $8 above the regular phone charge; for three lines the
monthly charge would be $12, etc.).

The customer is not required to pay business rates for their phone
lines. They might have a bit of a time convincing the business office
that they aren't a business, however.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with Bell Canada, other than as
a usually satisfied customer. The above information came from the
local Bell business office. Your mileage may vary.

David O'Heare      oheare@gandalf.ca   +1 613 723 6500