[comp.dcom.telecom] A Satisfied Customer of GTE

MCMAHON%GRIN1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (McMahon,Brian D) (08/13/90)

In TELECOM Digest V10 #562, our Moderator writes:

>[Moderator's Note: Based on all the complaints we get here about GTE,
>I'm beginning to think divine intervention is the only thing which
>might help improve their service.  PT]

Jeez, am I the only one who doesn't think GTE is, if not the Beast in
person, at least a direct representative of all that is evil?  :-)
We're right smack dab in the middle of GTE-land, and I don't really
see them as being all THAT much worse than anything else I've used.
For my purposes (POTS, dial-in to the college, calls to Telenet in Des
Moines [at the 55-mile distance rate!  Ack!]), they seem to do the
job.

Then again, they've been taking it in the shorts over their proposed
rate hike here.  (Did I say "hike"?  "Forced march" is more like it.)
But being taken to the cleaners by the phone company is hardly a novel
idea, and that's what we have PUCs for.  But the phones do work.
Heck, even the critter the college has installed (Omni S/III or
something similar) seems to work all right, at least as far as I can
tell from my desk.

Maybe having GTE operations in town makes a difference.  Grinnell
until recently was the HQ for their Midwest operations, but I've lost
track of what the heck they are these days.  My monthly check now goes
to GTE *North* (used to be GTE Midwest right here in town) in
Indianapolis (which is to the *East* :->).  That might matter -- if I
can't get the attention of their repair service, I can always ram one
of their vans... :-) :-)

I hate disclaimers, but since this affects town-gown relations . . .

The above is my personal opinion.  It has nothing to do with Grinnell
College, GCCS, the Board of Trustees, or the price of tea in China.

Brian McMahon  <MCMAHON@GRIN1.BITNET>
Grinnell College Computer Services
Grinnell, Iowa 50112
(515) 269-4901