[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller-ID Again

vapspcx@prism.gatech.edu (S. Keith Graham) (08/12/90)

I realize that this subject has been discusses extensively, but a
simple suggestion that I have't heard:

Why not give the purchaser of a new line the choice (at no charge)
whether to send caller-id or not by default?  Then add (also at no
charge) the ability to turn on (or off) caller ID for a single call,
much as someone uses "*70" to turn off Call Waiting.

I would, normally, leave caller-id off, but if a friend was paranoid
about getting calls from strangers, I could turn it back on.

Also, does anyone out there object to the phone company charging for
the "service" that allows you to report that the last call received as
a crank call?  Its several dollars a month here (BellSouth), for the
"right"... Plus installation.

KEITH GRAHAM
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!vapspcx
ARPA: vapspcx@prism.gatech.edu

Dave Levenson <dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net> (08/13/90)

In article <10775@accuvax.nwu.edu>, vapspcx@prism.gatech.edu (S. Keith
Graham) writes:

> Also, does anyone out there object to the phone company charging for
> the "service" that allows you to report that the last call received as
> a crank call?  Its several dollars a month here (BellSouth), for the
> "right"... Plus installation.

I doubt that I'd object; I just wouldn't buy it, if it were charged by
the month as Keith describes.  Here in NJ, it's the only one of the
"Class" services for which there is no monthly charge.  There is a
per-use charge, which I _think_ is $1.00.  I usually don't know, at
the beginning of the month, whether or not I'll be receiving
intra-lata crank calls!

With the introduction of Caller*ID service, however, crank calls have
all but disappeared in this area.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

yilmazer@suns01.UUCP (Sedat Yilmazer) (08/14/90)

In article <10793@accuvax.nwu.edu> dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave
Levenson) writes:

>With the introduction of Caller*ID service, however, crank calls have
>all but disappeared in this area.

At the cost of the callers privacy!  Here in Vienna I got, up to
now, no crank calls. So if you implement this feature in here, at least
for me, it would mean the violation of the callers privacy.

So if you are receiving crank calls , let there be a feature to trace
back that call.

Sedat Yilmazer   | Tel:  277222465
Alcatel Austria  | telex 277222146
Scheydg 41 A-1211| Home  2679825

[Moderator's Note: Yes! I said in the last issue that the Caller ID
discussion was concluded in the Digest for the time being. This
message arrived as the last issue was going out. Our correspondent
from Austria could not have known, so his item is appearing. But this
is it for now!  Please no more Caller ID for a couple months.   PAT]