[comp.dcom.telecom] A Thesis on Caller ID

"Donald E. Kimberlin" <0004133373@mcimail.com> (08/07/90)

        Amidst all the <sturm und drang> over Caller ID, a voice that
finally made the kind of sense I needed to hear occurred on a talk
program here a few days ago.

        As soon as I heard it expressed that way, I had to tumble in
favor of Caller ID.  Now, several days later, it still makes the kind
of sense that tells me some of you will appreciate it, too.

        I have lost the source, but it was a professor of Ethics and
Logic from a Pennsylvania college who made it so clear.

        What he said was that the argument in favor of Caller ID is
the long-established principle that a visitor to your home loses all
HIS rights to privacy when he comes to your premises.

        That is to say, you sure have a beef if somebody walks in the
door of your private quarters without first Knocking (or ringing your
bell!).  And you have every right to demand, "Who's there?"

        At that point, you still have every right to decide whether or
not to let them into your private space.

        From this it follows that unidentified telephone callers
should have no more right of free access to your private premises or
to the private space between your ears than does the caller at your
door.

        As certain elements of our society have grown increasingly
abusive in failing to police themselves, our legislators have tried to
offer legal surcease, but the real lack of positive identification of
the abusers hinders any enforcement.  Example: Florida law has for
some time required telemarketers to identify themselves, their
organization, and their purpose within 30 seconds of opening
conversation with you, and then at that point ask you if you wish to
proceed.

Well, I can honestly say that only a minority of the telemarketing
calls I get have any identity that would let me tell the Consumer
Complaints Division who the heck it was, anyway.  Obviously, the
illegal ones are totally unidentifiable, and with today's low loss,
noise free trunks, they could be calling from Timbuctou, for all I
know.

        And, of course, the really abusive, harassing callers are
always completely unidentified.

        So, taken on balance, I have to agree with the professor's
logic and say I will agree to give up my anonymity to sales offices
when I call, just so I might get a shot at the real abusers. What I
might suffer in return from sales people is trivial in my estimation
to what has gone beyond a joke in telephone barbarism here in Florida.

Jerry Leichter <leichter@lrw.com> (08/11/90)

Your ethicist is demonstrating how easy it is to get the answer you
want if you just can choose the question.  His argument falls apart on
close exami- nation.

a) He pulls at the emotional heartstrings of "privacy in your own
home" to try to argue for Caller-ID.  However, virtually all the
complaints about invasions of privacy have had to do with potential
abuses by BUSINESSES.

Clear black-and-white dicotomies - public vs. private places - are
nice for arguments, but have little to do with reality.  When I go
into a store, I give up very few of my privacy rights.  A store is not
someone's home: It's a place of business, and falls somewhere between
public and private.  For example, you can if you wish choose to refuse
to allow black people into your home.  You cannot choose to bar them
from your store.  By offering services to the public, you have given
up certain privacy rights.  Conversely, I as a member of the public
retain many more of my privacy rights in your store than I do in your
home.  In particular, you can certainly demand to know who I am before
allowing me into your home.  You cannot demand identification as a
pre-condition for allowing me into your store.

All you can get from this argument is that NON-BUSINESS lines have a
right to receive Caller-ID.  For all their talk about protecting
people's privacy, the telco's REALLY want to sell Caller-ID to, you
got it, businesses.  That's where the money is.

b) Even if we restrict ourselves to private homes and non-business
lines, his argument is weak.  I have the right to knock on your front
door.  You don't have to let me in unless I identify myself, but you
can't stop me from knock- ing.  I don't believe a "no solicitors" sign
has any legal weight.  (A "no trespassing" sign MIGHT - although I
can't enforce it selectively, letting some people in without
invitation and choosing to go after others.)

I'll argue that the knock on the door and the ring of the telephone
are equal invasions of privacy.  In each case, you have the right to
ask for identifica- tion.  In each case, I can refuse to provide it -
in which case you can close the door or hang up the phone.  That's as
far as your rights go if I refuse to identify myself.

In telephony terms, this means that I should have the right to send my
ID or not; and you have the right to receive it, and refuse to answer
if I didn't send it.  (A better analogy - and a better Caller-ID
system, though perhaps technically impractical - would be a button or
setting on your phone that explicity asked for Caller-ID.  I would
receive a notification of the request and could choose to allow my
identification to be sent, or not.  This would be the electronic
analogue of your asking for my name - except that I would be unable to
lie about it.)

BTW, the analogy of the "no solicitors" sign is your ability to say
that you don't want any telemarketing calls.  In the past, you've had
no way to enforce this.  The bill just passed by Congress, requiring
that telemarketers respect a list of "no calls" numbers, provides
exactly this ability.

Jerry

Maynard) (08/12/90)

In article <10740@accuvax.nwu.edu> leichter@lrw.com (Jerry Leichter)
writes:

>b) Even if we restrict ourselves to private homes and non-business
>lines, his argument is weak.  I have the right to knock on your front
>door.  You don't have to let me in unless I identify myself, but you
>can't stop me from knock- ing.  I don't believe a "no solicitors" sign
>has any legal weight.  (A "no trespassing" sign MIGHT - although I
>can't enforce it selectively, letting some people in without
>invitation and choosing to go after others.)

My city does give "no solicitors" signs legal weight. Solicitors must
be licensed, and they must respect such signs, or else they get fined
and lose their license.

Your statement above makes the case FOR Caller-ID. Yes, someone can
ring my phone - but I don't have to answer it, just as I don't have to
open my front door, unless they tell me who they are. If I ever have
Caller-ID available, I will follow exactly such a policy - and never
answer any calls from a blocked number.

Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL
jay@splut.conmicro.com

[Moderator's Note: It is time once again to close the Caller ID
discussion to further Digest input. This is not because your arguments
are not interesting, but because we continue to run tight on space and
a day behind on postings.  We will start this topic again in a couple
months.  Thanks.   PAT]

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (08/12/90)

In article <10740@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>Your ethicist is demonstrating how easy it is to get the answer you
>want if you just can choose the question.  His argument falls apart on
>close exami- nation.

I don't usually respond to articles of an argumentative nature but I
just can't let this one pass.  Your entire prose demonstrates how
logic can be reverse engineered just like software.  Choose the
outcome you wish to substanitate and then work backwards so that the
initial circumstances and events appear to lead logically to the
desired conclusion.  I contend that your argument falls apart even
WITHOUT close examination.  To wit:

>a) He pulls at the emotional heartstrings of "privacy in your own
>home" to try to argue for Caller-ID.  However, virtually all the
>complaints about invasions of privacy have had to do with potential
>abuses by BUSINESSES.

And I suppose that you would have us believe that the opponents of
caller ID are not making an emotional pitch for our sympathy rather
than a factual pitch for our support based on FACTS?  Bunk, quite the
opposite.  Note "potential abuses by BUSINESSES" above.  The key word
is "potential".  Aren't we on a witch hunt here and crying wolf to
boot?  Businesses already have access to a wealth of information about
almost all of us, including our phone number if they want that.  Every
time you pay by check or credit card you have given up your privacy.

And just how, pry tell, do you intend to do business with a company by
phone without identifying yourself in some manner which reveals a lot
more than your phone number?  It's going to be pretty tough.  It seems
to me that what you really want is not to retain your right to pivacy
but to create a NEW right to be anonymous.  I think there is a BIG
difference and the latter just simply doesn't exist in most legal
definitions.

>All you can get from this argument is that NON-BUSINESS lines have a
>right to receive Caller-ID.  For all their talk about protecting
>people's privacy, the telco's REALLY want to sell Caller-ID to, you
>got it, businesses.  That's where the money is.

There you go assuming things again.  I find this hard to believe since
the residence lines in most wire centers outnumber the business lines
at least two to one.  In some cases it is much higher.  In order to
completely debunk this argument, I need figures on national totals of
residence vs. business lines and I don't have that so I am not on firm
ground either on this point.  Maybe someone else can provide more
solid facts.  I contend that the residence market for this feature is
MUCH larger than the business market.

>I'll argue that the knock on the door and the ring of the telephone
>are equal invasions of privacy.  In each case, you have the right to
>ask for identifica- tion.  In each case, I can refuse to provide it -
>in which case you can close the door or hang up the phone.  That's as
>far as your rights go if I refuse to identify myself.

You had a good start here but got side-tracked again with warping the
logic to suit your desired result.  The phone ringing is analgous to a
knock on the door.  Answering the phone is like OPENING the door.  I
contend that I have a right to know who is outside (either physically
or electronically) BEFORE I open the portal, not after.

>BTW, the analogy of the "no solicitors" sign is your ability to say
>that you don't want any telemarketing calls.  In the past, you've had
>no way to enforce this.  The bill just passed by Congress, requiring
>that telemarketers respect a list of "no calls" numbers, provides
>exactly this ability.

As an individual, just exactly how do you think you can see to it that
this is enforced if there is no fool proof way to identify the caller?
Just another well meaning statute that is effectively useless because
the worst offenders just won't identify themselves.

As you probably already can tell, I support the Caller ID feature (and
this is a personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer).
As a matter of fact, as an individual, I really don't care if blocking
is offered or not.  When fully implemented, I simply will NOT answer
any calls where the calling number is not present.  Very simple and
very effective.  I simply will not deal with anyone who wishes to
remain anonymous.

Ken Abrams    uunet!pallas!kabra437  kabra437@athenanet.com
Illinois Bell
Springfield
(voice) 217-753-7965

Rochelle Communications <0004169820@mcimail.com> (08/13/90)

In the August 11 issue of TELECOM Digest (Volume 10, Issue 562)
Jerry Leichter <leichter@lrw.com> argues that the "peephole" analogy
often stated by Caller ID proponents is not valid. He writes:

>Your ethicist is demonstrating how easy it is to get the answer you
>want if you just can choose the question.  His argument falls apart on
>close examination.... However, virtually all the complaints about
>invasions of privacy have had to do with potential abuses by BUSINESSES.

This is simply not the case. Most complaints about Caller ID stem from
the right of callers to make anonymous phone calls, not the right of
being spared from telephone solicitations from overzealous
salespeople. Several cases have been effectively raised by Caller ID
opponents to stress the need for anonymity: a) A psychologist calling
patients from her home, b) A woman calling her husband from a special
shelter for battered housewives, c) Individuals who may be "scared
away" from calling certain hotlines (AIDS, drug abuse, crime tips,
etc.).

Many have argued that Caller ID would inevitably result in an increase
in telephone solicitations as businesses compile more "telephone
lists" of potential customers, and share such lists with other
businesses. There is some validity to this argument, but one should
consider that telemarketers have access to such lists today, and that
Caller ID by itself, wouldn't add much information (I have an unlisted
number and I do get several solicitations daily). It is important to
recognize that this is essentially a telemarketing problem and not a
Caller ID problem. Proper regulation of telemarketing practices is the
best way to limit the excesses of telemarketing. As Jerry noted,
Congress has just passed a law that would prohibit telemarketers from
making computer-generated calls to individuals who have listed their
telephone numbers in a special database.

Jerry goes on to say:

>the telco's REALLY want to sell Caller-ID to, you got it, businesses.
>That's where the money is.

I don't know on what basis this assertion is made. Caller ID is viewed
today by telephone companies as a residential service and has been
aggressively marketed it as such. Bell Atlantic indicate that 94% of
their Caller ID subscribers are residential customers. This is not to
say to Caller ID does not appeal to businesses. There are many great
applications of this technology in the business community including
computer security, caller-specific voice messaging, pizza delivery,
and customer service. But telephone companies seem to be focusing on
the residential market since it will give them the critical mass to
make the service economical to them.

Finally, Jerry expresses an interest in ...

> A better Caller-ID system, though perhaps technically impractical -
>would be a button or setting on your phone that explicitly asked for
>Caller-ID. I would receive a notification of the request and could choose
>to allow my identification to be sent, or not.  This would be the
>electronic analogue of your asking for my name - except that I would be
>unable to lie about it...

A system such as this is not far-fetched and may provide the ultimate
answer to the Caller ID debate by balancing the caller's "right" to
anonymity and the called person's right of privacy. I understand that
AT&T and NTI are developing a similar feature at the switch level.
Individuals who do not wish to receive anonymous telephone calls would
be able to request that when such calls are attempted, that a
recording be produced essentially stating that "the party you are
calling does not accept anonymous calls. Please dial 1 to have your
number transmitted or hang up..."

Gilbert Amine
Rochelle Communications
Austin, Texas
voice: +1 512 794 0088

mnemonic@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Mike Godwin) (08/13/90)

In article <10786@accuvax.nwu.edu> 0004169820@mcimail.com (Gilbert
Amine) writes:

>This is simply not the case. Most complaints about Caller ID stem from
>the right of callers to make anonymous phone calls, not the right of
>being spared from telephone solicitations from overzealous
>salespeople.

I realize this may be a naive comment, but won't "the right to make
anonymous phone calls" be preserved so long as we still have pay
phones in this country?

Wouldn't pay phones allow for effective caller anonymity even if
phones had optional settings that demanded caller phone numbers before
putting calls through?

Mike Godwin, UT Law School
mnemonic@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
(512) 346-4190

[Moderator's Note: You are correct about payphones, but what phreak do
you know who is going to go stand on a dark street corner on a cold
January night with a modem and terminal hunting for lines that answer
with carrier?  Some payphone abuse will continue, granted.  PAT]

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (08/13/90)

0004169820@mcimail.com (Rochelle Communications) writes:

}In the August 11 issue of TELECOM Digest (Volume 10, Issue 562)
}Jerry Leichter <leichter@lrw.com> argues that the "peephole" analogy
}often stated by Caller ID proponents is not valid....

}Finally, Jerry expresses an interest in ...

}> A better Caller-ID system, though perhaps technically impractical -
}>would be a button or setting on your phone that explicitly asked for
}>Caller-ID. I would receive a notification of the request and could choose
}>to allow my identification to be sent, or not.  This would be the
}>electronic analogue of your asking for my name - except that I would be
}>unable to lie about it...

}A system such as this is not far-fetched and may provide the ultimate
}answer to the Caller ID debate by balancing the caller's "right" to
}anonymity and the called person's right of privacy.

You can have such a system *today*, and have no need to affect the
privacy of anyone else in having it.  Someone markets a 'call
screener' [does anyone know who does, or if it is really still
available ... I confess to not having seen any ads for it in a couple
of years]: it will pick up the phone and nominally route *every*
caller to an answering machine ... but ... you can program 'security
codes' into it, and you can simply tell your friends whatever security
code(s) you choose.  The box will recognize the code, and your actual
phone will ring ONLY after a person enters an acceptable code.

For example, you could have a single 'password', and just tell
everyone.  OR ... you could have a group-password: give everyone at
work one password, give the folks on your Ultimate Frisbee team a
different number, etc.  OR..  you can simply 'special' people to use
*their*phone*number* as their 'password': that has the interesting
side effect of your knowing that it is your brother calling no matter
WHERE he is calling from.

There are two interesting properties of this kind of approach, versus the
'big brother should do it all' approach:

  (a) no ones privacy is coercively invaded, and
  (b) only the people who want this kind of incoming-call-filtration need
      pay for it, and only their correspondents will have to deal with it.

 /Bernie\

rlf@mtgzy.att.com (Ronald L Fletcher) (08/14/90)

In article <10740@accuvax.nwu.edu>, leichter@lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) writes:

> I'll argue that the knock on the door and the ring of the telephone
> are equal invasions of privacy.  In each case, you have the right to
> ask for identification.  In each case, I can refuse to provide it -
> in which case you can close the door or hang up the phone.  That's as
> far as your rights go if I refuse to identify myself.

> In telephony terms, this means that I should have the right to send my
> ID or not; and you have the right to receive it, and refuse to answer
> if I didn't send it.

This analogy is not quite complete. The last time I used the "knock on
the door" analogy against Caller ID, a co-worker pointed out that it
is actually an argument for Caller ID. People forget that doors have
windows and peepholes.  If someone knocks on my door, I can see the
person knocking and given that information, I decide whether or not to
even answer the door.  If I recognize the person, I have their
identification without asking them for it.

The same is true for Caller ID. Upon seeing the calling number, I can
decide whether or not to answer the call. The ring equals the knock,
and the Caller ID equals the window/peephole.

I dont really understand why so many people have this "telemarketing
list" fear of Caller ID. The way I see it, when Caller ID is fully
implemented and ALL numbers are transmitted we will then have a
powerful tool to filter out the meaningful calls from the chaff.

This same co-worker has an idea that I like. He says that in addition
to the number, CID should carry a code describing whether the call
originates from a residence or business, then someone can market a
high-tech phone that can be programmed to send all calls marked
"business" to /dev/answering-machine.

		Ron Fletcher
		att!mtgzy!rlf

siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (siegman) (08/14/90)

Jerry Leichter writes:

>In telephony terms, this means that I should have the right to send
>my ID or not; and you have the right to receive it, and refuse to
>answer if I didn't send it.

>A better Caller-ID system - though perhaps technically impractical
>- would be a button or setting on your phone that explicity asked
>for Caller-ID.  I would receive a notification of the request and
>could choose to allow my identification to be sent, or not.  This
>would be the electronic analogue of your asking for my name -
>except that I would be unable to lie about it.

You've got it!  Exactly right!  The telco won't like it, the
prospective business users of Caller-ID will absolutely hate it, BUT I
WANT THAT BUTTON!  (NOT some special code I have to send each time,
NOT a special service I have to pay for, but _that button_, right
there on the phone for each and every call).  (And it's not
technically impractical at all either, is it?)

jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com (08/15/90)

I propose that we call this the "Subject that Wouldn't Die."  I am
past the point of being tired with the topic.  I suggest that someone
volunteer to set up a mailing list and/or newsgroup devoted to caller
id.  It is apparently hot enough to generate opinions for months -- if
not years -- to come.  This, of course, is just my opinion.

Jeff E. Nelson, Digital Equipment Corporation, jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com
Affiliation given for identification purposes only

[Moderator's Note: See Bruce K. in the message before this one. I
quite agree a mailing list to handle the overflow I am getting on this
topic would be a good idea. I had to reject *nineteen* messages today
on Caller ID and return them to the sender unused.  Talk to Bruce.  PAT]