[comp.dcom.telecom] Trunks and Countries

alex@ames.arc.nasa.gov> (08/15/90)

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) writes:

>I called the AccessLogic Technologies ANI number from a University of
>Toronto number (416-978-7xxx), and was told that I was calling from
>716-852-4200, which is a Buffalo, N.Y., number.  I assume the
>University of Toronto centrex routed the call through a tieline to
>Buffalo.

W&A sells SwitchView, a switch management product for SL-1s that runs
on XENIX. When we were training in Waterloo, it was mentioned at
length (in the LCR and trunk section of our classes) that many
Canadian companies lease a lot of lines into Buffalo, because even for
intra-province calls, it's cheaper to dial inbound from NY than north
of the border!

Aren't tariffs a wonderful thing?

I'm sworn to secrecy to NOT tell about the volume of 100 milliWatt
laser connections between Windsor and Detroit used to bypass the large
cross-border tariffs, too.

	Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
	Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others
	...elroy!grian!alex; BIX: alex; voice: (818) 791-7979
	fax: (818) 794-2297    bbs: 791-1013; 8N1 24/12/3