[comp.dcom.telecom] 1-800 Numbers From Europe

ge@phoibos.cs.kun.nl (Ge Weijers) (08/08/90)

A short question someone might be able to answer. I've found it
impossible to phone a vendor in the U.S. through a 1-800 number. As no
other number was published I've given up for now and have written a
letter.

Is there any way around this problem (I don't expect the number to be
free, but it would be nice if they were accesible from abroad).

Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)
University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1         tel. +3180612483 (UTC+1,
6525 ED Nijmegen, the Netherlands               UTC+2 march/september

[Moderator's Note: About all you can do at this point is call the
appropriate Directory Assistance Bureau and get the 'regular' number,
then place an toll call. Some companies will, under the circumstances
reimburse you for that call if you make a purchase from them.  PT]

wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin) (08/11/90)

In article <10639@accuvax.nwu.edu> ge@phoibos.cs.kun.nl (Ge Weijers)
asks about calling an 800 number from Europe.

>[Moderator's Note: About all you can do at this point is call the
>appropriate Directory Assistance Bureau and get the 'regular' number,
>then place an toll call.

Not any more.  AT&T's Dial Direct (or whatever) will call at least
some 800 numbers from Europe.  I think they charge the regular amount:
$4 plus $1/minute, regardless of the time of day.  I haven't tried
MCI's Call America, which is about the same price; they might do 800
numbers also.

Contrary to the ads not all the operators for this service speak
fluent English, but they are understandable.

These numbers are not listed in foreign phonebooks in any place I've
looked, so be sure to take them with you, or failing that look in a
copy of the IHT.

		   Wm. Randolph Franklin
Internet: wrf@ecse.rpi.edu (or @cs.rpi.edu)    Bitnet: Wrfrankl@Rpitsmts
Telephone: (518) 276-6077;  Telex: 6716050 RPI TROU; Fax: (518) 276-6261
Paper: ECSE Dept., 6026 JEC, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst, Troy NY, 12180

Jim Budler <jimb@silvlis.com> (08/13/90)

In article <10697@accuvax.nwu.edu> wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph
Franklin) writes:

>In article <10639@accuvax.nwu.edu> ge@phoibos.cs.kun.nl (Ge Weijers)
>asks about calling an 800 number from Europe.

>Not any more.  AT&T's Dial Direct (or whatever) will call at least
>some 800 numbers from Europe.  I think they charge the regular amount:
>$4 plus $1/minute, regardless of the time of day.  I haven't tried
>MCI's Call America, which is about the same price; they might do 800
>numbers also.

But don't both of these assume you have an account with ATT or MCI?

Didn't a recent Digest article explain that it is difficult or
impossible for a European resident to get an ATT Calling Card?

Even assuming I'm wrong, ATT direct can only connect to ATT 800
numbers, and MCI Call America can only connect to MCI 800 numbers and
unless the caller can decypher which is which he's outa luck.  And
there are other 800 numbers not provided by either ATT and MCI.

Still no joy in reaching 800 numbers from Europe or anywhere outside
the US.

Conclusions:

Responsible advertisers should always include both their 800 number
and their real number.

Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6061
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (08/14/90)

In article <10789@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Jim Budler <jimb@silvlis.com>
writes:

> Even assuming I'm wrong, ATT direct can only connect to ATT 800
> numbers, and MCI Call America can only connect to MCI 800 numbers and
> unless the caller can decypher which is which he's outa luck.  And
> there are other 800 numbers not provided by either ATT and MCI.

Last time I tried, ATT Direct couldn't / wouldn't connect me to an ATT
800 line -- this was about a year ago.  The operator also didn't have
a suggestion on how I could complete my 800 call.  Neither of which
surprised me.

On the topic of (not) calling 800 numbers from overseas, it always
amuses my simple mind that I actually have to pick a city to call when
I need to place a call back to a US airline (of which, I would know
the 800 number from dialing it enough in the States).  I just usually
pick one of the airline's hub cities when asking information for the
number.

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (08/16/90)

> Not any more.  AT&T's USADirect

> These numbers are not listed in foreign phonebooks in any place I've
> looked, so be sure to take them with you, or failing that look in a
> copy of the IHT.

I have been in some countries where the USADirect, (and FranceDirect
etc.)  numbers are indeed listed in the telephone directory.  This was
true in Australia, but I think I also saw it some other places.

I always read the telephone directory wherever I go.  In many
countries they provide pages in other languages for visitors.  The
Japanese directory is totally useless unless you know Kanji.

In article <10700@accuvax.nwu.edu>, root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D.
Mongeon) writes:

> Some time ago, I wrote that I was looking for a list of 800 numbers
> for the inward direct service for as many countries as possible.

I have found in some hotels in the US (Hyatt, Westin) a booklet with
extensive information about calling home.  It provides information on
acceptance of credit cards, collect calls, etc. from and to other
countries, Home Direct and USA Direct numbers, country codes, time
zones, and a wealth of other information.  The booklet is published by
AT&T, but has a cover provided by the hotel.

It may be possible to obtain a copy of this book from AT&T.  You could
try AT&T International Service information (1 800 874-4000).

Herman Silbiger