[comp.dcom.telecom] Basic Questions About Telephones

"Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)" <drears@pica.army.mil> (08/11/90)

   I just had a second line installed in my house.  I had to do some
of the wiring which is now finished.  I do have some basic questions
that came out of it though:

   It seems as if each telephone cable contains four wires (red,
green, black, and yellow).  For one line only the red and green wires
are used.  The black and yellow wires are only used for the second
line.  If only one line is installed in a jack why do the yellow and
black wires have to be attached?  I suspect it doesn't.

   The modular jack that goes into the phone has four wires in it. Why
is that, if only the red and green are required for service?  Just in
case you have a two line phone?

  Why is the jack that goes from the telephone headset to the
telephone a different size than the jack that goes from the phone to
the wall jack?  Is it to idiotproof the process? Also why four wires
into the headset?  Does the phone itself do anything to the signals
before it sends it to the headset?  If the proper size jack was put on
the headset could you plug that into the wall jack and recieve calls?

  What do the two wires (red and green or yellow and black) carry?  Is
one postive and negative like electrical wires?

  In the case of my second line I bought a double wall phone outlet.  I
installed the first line (R&G) to the top outline and installed the
second (B&Y) line to the bottom outlet.  The first line worked the
second did not. The second line was live as I have a jack wired right
into at the NIU. I then disconnected the wires from the NIU for the first
line and reconnected them to the NIU for the second.  That got the second
line working.  That says to me that there must be something physically
wrong with the Yellow or Black wires.   That seems strange to me as all
four wires are in the same cable and if there was a physical break in the
cable it would affect all the wires, not just one or two.  Any thoughts
of this?

  Thanks for any help.

Dennis

P.S.  Does anybody know the number for ringback for 609-871-XXXX?

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (08/11/90)

"Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)" <drears@pica.army.mil> writes:

> If only one line is installed in a jack why do the yellow and
> black wires have to be attached?  I suspect it doesn't.

Generally that's true. In the olden days, the black/yellow sometimes
served as the means to power the lamp in an old princess or trimline
phone. In the REAL olden days, there was no black wire and the yellow
wire was the ground, useful for party line service.

>    The modular jack that goes into the phone has four wires in it. Why
> is that, if only the red and green are required for service?  Just in
> case you have a two line phone?

This is one reason. Another would be for the A/A1 control for a key
telephone system. If one adds a single line phone to a standard 1A2
key system, it must have a separate off-hook indication.

>   Why is the jack that goes from the telephone headset to the
> telephone a different size than the jack that goes from the phone to
> the wall jack?  Is it to idiotproof the process? Also why four wires
> into the headset?  Does the phone itself do anything to the signals
> before it sends it to the headset?  If the proper size jack was put on
> the headset could you plug that into the wall jack and recieve calls?

Absolutely not. Believe it or not, all that stuff in the phone base
actually serves a purpose. Besides the obvious, such as ringing and
dialing, the base contains a "hybrid" circuit which takes the two wire
phone line and converts it to a "four wire" circuit for the earpiece
and for the tranmitter (microphone). It also provides a small DC
polarizing voltage for the transmitter that is derived from the power
in the phone line itself.

Oh, and yes, the jacks are a different size for the purpose of
idiotproofing.

>   What do the two wires (red and green or yellow and black) carry?  Is
> one postive and negative like electrical wires?

Not LIKE electrical wires, they ARE electrical wires. Remember,
electricity, not sound, travels through wires. Your voice is
transformed into an electrical representation which is actually
carried through the wires.

> That says to me that there must be something physically
> wrong with the Yellow or Black wires.   That seems strange to me as all
> four wires are in the same cable and if there was a physical break in the
> cable it would affect all the wires, not just one or two.  Any thoughts
> of this?

Long distance speculation of your problem would be difficult, but even
if you get the line to work, you might want to replace the wiring with
"twisted pair". The wire you describe, commonly called "D station
wire" does not have the working pairs twisted. This almost invariably
creates crosstalk between lines. Time and time again, there are people
in this forum complaining about their modem line being heard in their
voice line, etc., etc. The cause is usually traced to the fact that
they are running two phone lines through D cable. What you want is "E
wire", where the pairs are individually twisted. This often comes in
three-pair and can be spotted by the colors: white/blue; white/orange;
and white/green.

I have E wire running all over the house, with modems, voice
telephones, stations, and trunks all intermixed therein. There is no
crosstalk whatsoever -- not a trace. Consider yourself lucky that
there is something wrong with the D wire. Take the opportunity to pull
it out and replace it with the right stuff: E wire.

BTW, E wire comes "jacketed" and "unjacketed". Mine is all jacketed,
but you can save a little money with unjacketed if it will run in a
concealed place such as through the wall, in an attic, or under the
house.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Dave Levenson <dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net> (08/11/90)

In article <10692@accuvax.nwu.edu>, drears@pica.army.mil (Dennis G.
Rears (FSAC)) writes:

>    It seems as if each telephone cable contains four wires (red,
> green, black, and yellow).  For one line only the red and green wires
> are used.  The black and yellow wires are only used for the second
> line.  If only one line is installed in a jack why do the yellow and
> black wires have to be attached?  I suspect it doesn't.

The extra wires are installed for ancillary services.  This may
include a second line, a lighted dial, a ground lead (used for
selective ringing and party identification on multi-party lines).  On
new service, these days, they install four-pair (eight wire) cable --
it's cheaper to put in extra wires at the time of the initial
installation than to put them in later, when the customer needs them.

>    The modular jack that goes into the phone has four wires in it. Why
> is that, if only the red and green are required for service?  Just in
> case you have a two line phone?

See above.

>   Why is the jack that goes from the telephone headset to the
> telephone a different size than the jack that goes from the phone to
> the wall jack?  Is it to idiotproof the process? Also why four wires
> into the headset?  Does the phone itself do anything to the signals
> before it sends it to the headset?  If the proper size jack was put on
> the headset could you plug that into the wall jack and recieve calls?

The handset has four wires -- a two-wire circuit for the microphone,
and another two-wire circuit for the receiver.  Your line from the
central office, as you have already noticed, has two wires.  The
bidirectional audio signals on these two wires are separated by a
circuit called a hybrid, located in the telephone instrument.  It
separates the transmit and receive audio information and provides the
derived four-wire path to the handset.

>   What do the two wires (red and green or yellow and black) carry?  Is
> one postive and negative like electrical wires?

The two wires deliver DC power to operate your telephone set.  They
also carry AC voice signals.  The red wire should be at ground
potential, and the green wire should be at -48 volts.

>   In the case of my second line I bought a double wall phone outlet.  I
> installed the first line (R&G) to the top outline and installed the
> second (B&Y) line to the bottom outlet.  The first line worked the
> second did not.

> wrong with the Yellow or Black wires.   That seems strange to me as all
> four wires are in the same cable and if there was a physical break in the
> cable it would affect all the wires, not just one or two.  Any thoughts
> of this?

If you wired the B-Y pair to the red and green terminals on the second
jack, then you probably have an open black or yellow wire in your
cable.  If the B-Y pair is connected to the black and yellow terminals
on the second jack, connect it to the the red and green terminals on
the second jack, and it will work better.

It's not unusual for one wire to become defective in a multi-wire
cable; that's another reason why they install extra conductors.

> P.S.  Does anybody know the number for ringback for 609-871-XXXX?

I suggest that you try 550-XXXX, 551-XXXX, 552-XXXX etc.  XXXX would
be the last four digits of your telephone number.  If you get a busy
signal, try the next one in the sequence.  If you get a dialtone after
dialing, flash your switchhook.  If you then get a high tone, hang up
and your phone should start to ring.  To stop the ringback, just
answer and then hang up for at least ten seconds.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900 Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail:!westmark!dave

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (08/12/90)

John Higdon writes (Vol 10, Issue 560, Message 2 of 3)

> The wire you describe, commonly called "D station wire" does not have the
> working pairs twisted [...] What you want is "E wire", where the pairs
> are individually twisted.

	The untwisted wire described is what I have always called
"quad station wire", I have no idea what the real name is, but I don't
think "D station wire" is right.  My AT&T catalog lists what they call
DIW, "D Inside Wire" which is indeed twisted pairs.  You can get it in
various pair counts from as few as 2 or 3 up to, I think, about 6 or
8.  The most common variety I've seen is 4 pair.  Unlike common 25
pair cables, the pairs are packed loosly in the PVC sheath, making it
very flexible.  It sounds exactly like what John is describing as "E
wire".

	I am willing to defer to hard evidence to the contrary, but I
have trouble believing you could get any appreciable amount of
crosstalk between two properly balanced circuits (even if not using
twisted pairs) over the, say, 100 feet of wire you might find in a
common residential installation.  My trailblazer coexists just fine
with my voice line over plain old quad wire, running what I would
guess is about 60 feet in the same quad.  In theory, I would agree,
you want to run twisted pairs if you have the choice, but if quad is
already in, I wouldn't bother replacing it for plain voice or
voice-grade modems.

Roy Smith
Public Health Research Institute
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR-  {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (08/12/90)

In article <10692@accuvax.nwu.edu>, drears@pica.army.mil (Dennis G.
Rears (FSAC)) writes:

	It's Deja-vu telecom time again.

> It seems as if each telephone cable contains four wires (red,
> green, black, and yellow).  For one line only the red and green wires
> are used.  The black and yellow wires are only used for the second
> line.  If only one line is installed in a jack why do the yellow and
> black wires have to be attached?  I suspect it doesn't.

	You are right, a telephone line requires two wires or "one
pair" in telco speak. The first pair are the Red and Green and the
second pair are the Yellow and Black. For a one line installation, you
only need to connect the first pair (Red and Green). The second pair
is often not connected through anymore - standards have gone to hell
since divesture. The telco used to connect the second pair (Yellow and
Black) when installing so that if they popped in a second line they
wouldn't have to hunt round the premises to splice all the second
pairs.

> The modular jack that goes into the phone has four wires in it. Why
> is that, if only the red and green are required for service?  Just in
> case you have a two line phone?

	There are several reasons for this besides a second line. At
the end of this posting I am including something I posted in November

> Why is the jack that goes from the telephone headset to the
> telephone a different size than the jack that goes from the phone to
> the wall jack?  Is it to idiotproof the process? Also why four wires
> into the headset?  Does the phone itself do anything to the signals
> before it sends it to the headset?  If the proper size jack was put on
> the headset could you plug that into the wall jack and receive calls?

	Because it serves a completely different purpose. It idiot
proofs it to some extent. But I have had customers plug the handset
into the line jack and then call and complain that the line cord wont
plug into the handset jack - this really has happened. Notice that a
handset jack has and uses two pairs (four wires). It uses two wires to
talk (Transmitter) and two wires to listen (Receiver). Ok, so the line
jack is two wires (talk and listen on the same pair) and the handset
has split talk and listen into separate pairs. Inside the phone
instrument there is a device called a network that magically sends the
voice signals to the right place. Yes, you could Micky Mouse a handset
to work directly on the line, but the line voltage would soon kill the
receiver magnet and the sound of your own voice would blow the wax out
of your ears etc. So that is what the instrument stuff is for, if it
wasn't needed, someone would have been selling handset to line cord
adapters years ago. The Linesmans "Butt-set" has the network built
into the handset as does the AT&T Trimline phone.

>   What do the two wires (red and green or yellow and black) carry?  Is
> one positive and negative like electrical wires?

	Yes, as a phone line is about 48V DC when "on hook" (hung up)
and between 3 and 9V DC when "off hook", there is a DC voltage there.
The normal voltage polarity is Green = + and Red = -. Some phone
systems will reverse the polarity when a call goes through (rare these
days).  If the polarity is wrong, no biggy, some old 2500 sets may no
longer dial, so flip the Red and Green and everything will work again.

	They phone wires also carry audio signals, Voice and Touch
Tone. They also carry the ringing signal 40-150V AC.

> In the case of my second line I bought a double wall phone outlet.  I
> installed the first line (R&G) to the top outline and installed the
> second (B&Y) line to the bottom outlet.  The first line worked the
> second did not. The second line was live as I have a jack wired right
> into at the NIU. I then disconnected the wires from the NIU for the first
> line and reconnected them to the NIU for the second.  That got the second
> line working.  That says to me that there must be something physically
> wrong with the Yellow or Black wires.   That seems strange to me as all
> four wires are in the same cable and if there was a physical break in the
> cable it would affect all the wires, not just one or two.  Any thoughts
> of this?

	Yes, you could have a break in just one wire in a cable. This
is not uncommon. I have had this happen with long runs of cable, this
is a good reason to install more pairs than you need. If you have a
"bad pair", just mark it as such and progress. But as you are a
domestic installation I would physically check the wire from the NIU
(Protector) to the jack. There may be a connecting block or jack along
the way that has not spliced the Black and Yellow pairs. One word of
warning. Some lazy installers will often place the Black and Yellow
under a screw in a a junction box/jack but will not strip the wires.
It will look like two wires are connected under a screw head, but as
they still have insulation, they are not.

	And now if you are still fascinated by all this stuff, here's
more of the same. This is a posting from a couple of years ago that
kinda covers the same ground.

  Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
  Subject: The other pair of wires.
  Date: 9 Nov 88 10:11:08 GMT
  Sender: chip@vector.UUCP

     There has been a fair amount of discussion about what you will
find on the second pair of phone wires in a residence. Here is a list
of what you might/could find:

The first pair will always carry a regular phone line. These wires are
usually Red and Green, they can be White with a Blue Stripe and Blue
with a White stripe. They are referred to as Tip and Ring. The Green
or White/Blue wire is Tip and the Red or Blue/White is Ring. Tip is
Positive and Ring is negative. ( Yes I know the voltage thingy is more
complex than that, this is not for experts. For folks with Rat Shack
meters, what I have said is true)

Ok, now the first pair is out of the way, let's look at the second
pair. They are usually Black and Yellow or White/Orange and
Orange/White. These wires can have several things happening to them,
but not all at once.

First of all, there can be nothing on the wires, and they may not be
connected anywhere.

Next, the Yellow wire can be grounded. This is rare these days, but
you will find it on old installations.

Another old thing you will find is AC voltage for lighting the dials
of old Princess phones. If you look around, you will find a wall
transformer wired into the Yellow and Black wires. If the transformer
says, "Bell System Property" etc. That's it. If you no longer have a
rotary dial Princess with a lighted dial, pull it.

Talking of old, old style multiline "business" phones. Yes, the ones
with the buttons that light up and flash, they needed a hard wire
signal to know that a line was off hook. This was known in "Telco
speak" as "A-Lead control". If a single line phone was used as an
extension on one of these systems also known in "Telco speak" as
"1A2", the second pair (Yellow and Black) were shorted together when
the phone went "off hook" to let the system know that a line was in
use so all the right blinky lights came on. If you used a phone
without A-Lead control, it went into hold when you hung up - most
inconvenient.

These days, if the telco uses the second pair, it is usually for a
second line. Looking back to the first paragraph, the Black wire is
Tip and the Yellow wire is Ring, usually known as Tip 2 and Ring 2.
Yup, that makes the first pair (Red&Green) Tip 1 and Ring 1.

Now, when discussing PBXs and modern "Key Systems", the second pair
can often carry "data", stuff controlling the phones.

	More details available upon request. Available for Bar
Mitzvoth weddings and barbeques.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (08/13/90)

On Aug 12 at 10:31, Roy Smith writes:

> I am willing to defer to hard evidence to the contrary, but I have
> trouble believing you could get any appreciable amount of crosstalk between
> two properly balanced circuits (even if not using twisted pairs) over the,
> say, 100 feet of wire you might find in a common residential installation.

I have seen it happen over lengths of as little as 25 feet. Remember
that crosstalk rejection between circuits depends on the electrostatic
and electromagnetic cancellation caused by the two conductors of the
circuit. If you have conductors randomly interspersed within a cable
and if an individual leg of one circuit travel for some appreciable
distance with the leg of another, then your "properly balanced
circuits" might just as well be unbalanced.

> My trailblazer coexists just fine with my voice line over plain old quad
> wire, running what I would guess is about 60 feet in the same quad.  In
> theory, I would agree, you want to run twisted pairs if you have the
> choice, but if quad is already in, I wouldn't bother replacing it for plain
> voice or voice-grade modems.

That's very nice. Random chance works in mysterious ways. The original
poster indicated that there was some hard problem with his quad.
Rather than nurse it back to health or replace it with more quad, my
suggestion was to replace it with the "right stuff". I have a number
of "cheap and dirty" tricks that I use and get away with, but don't
don't usually advocate them in a public forum. The "I know it's wrong
in theory, but it works fine for me" principle can cause people grief.
Once again, I don't recommend using quad (or any non-twisted pair)
cable for multiple lines. I have seen the results and they are bad.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

"Craig R. Watkins" <CRW@icf.hrb.com> (08/15/90)

In article <10881@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Julian Macassey
<julian@bongo.uucp> writes:

> You are right, a telephone line requires two wires or "one
> pair" in telco speak. The first pair are the Red and Green and the
> second pair are the Yellow and Black. For a one line installation, you
> only need to connect the first pair (Red and Green).

During the 70's (days of four-prong phone jacks), Rochester Telephone
seemed to wire most (single-line) phones with the Yellow/Black
positions on the jacks.  We all assumed that this was simply to
discourage would-be amateur telephone installers.  I've never seen the
non-standard wiring on RJ-11s unless there were two lines involved.

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

David Brightbill <djb@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> (08/16/90)

My first experience with troubleshooting telco lines happened in a
hotel during a tradeshow around 1975 or so.  I was selling PLATO
connect time and had brought a terminal to show off the system.  The
local telco supplied a phone instrument and jack (old four prong) which
worked fine.  When I plugged in my DAA (had one mounted in a briefcase
with a trimline phone and transfer switch), I had a dead line.  Of
course, Southern Bell had supplied a line with the black/yellow pair
live and had switched the lines on their instrument so that it would
work.