[comp.dcom.telecom] Solar Powered Cellular PBX

JDurand@cup.portal.com (08/06/90)

I am trying to size a solar power system to run the telephone system
at our reseach facility and need some help.  Before anyone suggests
power and phone lines, it would cost us $25,000 just for the
right-of-way to run them plus parts! 8-( We do have two 15 KW
generators, but try run them only when we need real power.  All other
power is hand, battery, solar, or small portable generators.  I am
considering using a Panasonic KX-T61610 switch fed from a Radio Shack
cellular phone mounted on a building (I checked, we do have cell
coverage and only need one CO line, the rest are intercom/PA).  The
questions are:

   1.  How much power does the Panasonic unit draw from the battery
   input and at what voltage(s)?  Pinout of battery connector?

   2.  How much power does the cellular phone draw with the modem
   adapter and horn alert (to drive ringer to Panasonic)?

   3.  Is this legal in California?

   4.  Any better ideas?

Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc., jdurand@cup.portal.com

alex@ames.arc.nasa.gov> (08/16/90)

JDurand@cup.portal.com writes:

>I am trying to size a solar power system to run the telephone system
>at our reseach facility and need some help.  Before anyone suggests
>coverage and only need one CO line, the rest are intercom/PA).  The
>questions are:

>   1.  How much power does the Panasonic unit draw from the battery
>   input and at what voltage(s)?  Pinout of battery connector?

Call Panasonic or Rat Shack and ask.  Better yet, find one (your local
supplier will have one around, or won't get your order) in a working
state and bring your ammmmmmeter along.  Don't forget to plug in a
device to all the ports and take them off-hook -- they're
line-powered!

Now, if you could just use 48 Volts, you could snarf power from TPC
directly and not have any power costs :-)!

	Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
	Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others
	...elroy!grian!alex; BIX: alex; voice: (818) 791-7979
	fax: (818) 794-2297    bbs: 791-1013; 8N1 24/12/3