[comp.dcom.telecom] President Bush Uses Cellular?

bill@trace.eedsp.gatech.edu (08/15/90)

In article <10833@accuvax.nwu.edu> thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu (Thomas
Lapp) writes:

>In a photograph which ran in my local newspaper (source: AP
>wirephoto), it showed President Bush talking to a military leader from
>his golf cart.  The phone appeared to be a plain old cellular
>telephone, although there was a smaller box attached to the main
>transceiver unit.

[some concerns about the security of a cellular conversation deleted]

Although I didn't see this particular photo, the Federal govt.  does
have 'secure' cellular and wireline telecommunications (voice and
data) via a system called STU-III.

I'm sure the President's conversation was duly encrypted prior to
going to the local cell.  I wouldn't be surprised if the cell or cells
in that area turned out to actually belong to Uncle Sam too, although
I don't know for sure either way.

I think if I ever win the Presidency I'll have to turn it down.  They
never can truly "get away" for a real vacation. :-)

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (08/15/90)

In <10833@accuvax.nwu.edu> Thomas Lapp <thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu>
writes:

>In a photograph which ran in my local newspaper (source: AP
>wirephoto), it showed President Bush talking to a military leader from
>his golf cart.  The phone appeared to be a plain old cellular
>telephone, although there was a smaller box attached to the main
>transceiver unit.

>Can I rest knowing that his cellular phone call was scrambled?

I didn't see the picture, but from somewhat dated personal knowledge
of how the White House Communications Agency does business, I'd think
that the unexplained smaller box was /exactly/ an encryption unit.
The other option is that they merely agreed on when to talk on a
/really/ secure line.

It's always possible that they discussed real business on an open
line, but the folks in that line of work didn't get there by being
dumb!

riddle@hoss.unl.edu
riddle@crchpux.unl.edu
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org
Sysop on 1:285/27 @ Fidonet

mcrocket@ddsw1.mcs.com (Michael J. Crockett) (08/17/90)

>>In a photograph which ran in my local newspaper (source: AP
>>wirephoto), it showed President Bush talking to a military leader from
>>his golf cart.  The phone appeared to be a plain old cellular
>>telephone, although there was a smaller box attached to the main
>>transceiver unit.

>I'm sure the President's conversation was duly encrypted prior to
>going to the local cell.  I wouldn't be surprised if the cell or cells
>in that area turned out to actually belong to Uncle Sam too, although
>I don't know for sure either way.

If the cellular system in that part of Maine is anything like the
Wireline System in the Washington/Baltimore area, then facilties for
encrypted service are installed as part of the system and are
available to anyone that wants to pay for the service AND pay for the
box that must be used at the cellular telephone.