bjh <B_HAUGHEY@ccvax.ucd.ie> (08/16/90)

 From: nixbur!jobrien@eecs.nwu.edu (John O'Brien):

>I am going to Ireland in a couple of weeks and I am wondering what the
>phone service is like there.  Specifically:

>1.)  Can I use my Sprint FON card to call the US?
>2.)  Can I use my Sprint card for local Irish calls?
>3.)  I have an AT&T Universal card.  Can I use it to
>     make calls within Ireland or to the US?

Hi.

It is possible to use the AT&T card to call the States - this would be
done by calling the Operator responsible for international calls (114)
and giving them the number, I suppose.

You can't use the Sprint card. As for local calls, I'd just pay the
30c fee !

Regards,

bjh
University College Dublin

dpfay@vax1.tcd.ie (08/17/90)

> I am going to Ireland in a couple of weeks and I am wondering what the
> phone service is like there.  Specifically:

> 1.)  Can I use my Sprint FON card to call the US?
> 2.)  Can I use my Sprint card for local Irish calls
> 3.)  I have an AT&T Universal card.  Can I use it to
>      make calls within Ireland or to the US?

        The only U.S. card that Telecom Eireann accepts is one issued
by AT&T, and only for calls to the U.S.  To use it, call the
international operator on

        114 if in Dublin (01 area code)
        10  from the rest of the Republic

        One problem is that the international operator lines are very
busy at this time of year due (according to popular mythology) to
tourists, expecially language students, looking for reverse-charge
(collect) calls home.

        It's probably easier, and cheaper in the long run, to dial
direct and get your caller to phone you back (All students know this
trick...!)  International calls can be made from any private phone (or
hotel phone, at great expense) and from all payphones, except the
antique black ones which you may come across in pubs, etc.

        The dialling code is:
        16 - 1 - area code - local number

        The number of the payphone is normally written on it, or
nearby, and you can give this to your caller.  The country code for
Ireland is 353.

        On a general note, the phone service in Ireland improved out
of all recognition during the 1980s and over half the local exchanges
are now digital.  This isn't bad for a country where some places still
had manual exchanges until quite recently.  Nevertheless, payphoenes
are often out-of-order, and long-distance calls are expensive.

        If you are going to Northern Ireland or Britain, you may be
able to use Sprint card from there.  International services are
cheaper, and there is also a Call U.S. Direct service from the U.K.

Deryck Fay

Geography Dept., Trinity College, Dublin
DPFAY@VAX1.TCD.IE