[comp.dcom.telecom] A New Feature One Might Build Into a Phone

nagle@uunet.uu.net (John Nagle) (08/07/90)

     Now here's a thought.  We all know the announcments which begin
with a special three-tone sequence followed by "The number you have
reached...".  How about a voice recognition unit to recognize the new
number and update your autodialer?  The spoken digits are well
separated, the background noise is low, and the digits are clearly
enunciated, so a relatively simple system should suffice.  This would
be a neat addition to one of those "turn your computer into an
answering machine" programs.

     It would be really easy if the spoken digits were standardized
nationally, but they are not.  Even the rate varies with location.

John Nagle

jeffj@uunet.uu.net (08/10/90)

In Volume 10, Issue 547, Message 9 of 15, Message-ID: <10550@accuvax.
nwu.edu>, John Nagle posted:

>     Now here's a thought.  We all know the announcments which begin
>with a special three-tone sequence followed by "The number you have
>reached...".  How about a voice recognition unit to recognize the new
>number and update your autodialer?  The spoken digits are well
>separated, the background noise is low, and the digits are clearly
>enunciated, so a relatively simple system should suffice.  This would
>be a neat addition to one of those "turn your computer into an
>answering machine" programs.

>     It would be really easy if the spoken digits were standardized
>nationally, but they are not.  Even the rate varies with location.

I'll go you one better: right after the tritone (that's called a SIT,
right?), transmit the data DIGITALLY with a modem, the same FSK as
used in Caller-ID.

This is kind to machines:
The tritone is the header followed immediately by the data.

This is kind to humans:
The tritone is loud and annoying already so a little more screaming
won't hurt.

FAX/modem/autodialer manufacturers should love this:
If the machine recognizes the tritone and can act accordingly, you'll
prevent repeated failed calls.  You could automatically update the
phone list when a new number is given.  The retry mechanism could
adapt if the line is temporarily out of service or give up if it's
permanently out of service.

I'd expect a CCITT definition of the command to be something like a 16
bit command followed by a variable length field.  The commands would
be specified like:

command: 0000h  Number out of service
following data: none

command: 0001h  all lines temporarily busy
following data: none

command: 0010h  number changed
following data: phone number (in the same format as ANI)
[I'm not sure what will be sent for an unlisted number]

Jeffrey Jonas
jeffj@synsys.uucp

U5434122@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (08/16/90)

In article <10715@accuvax.nwu.edu>, synsys!jeffj@uunet.uu.net writes:

> In Volume 10, Issue 547, Message 9 of 15, Message-ID: <10550@accuvax.
> nwu.edu>, John Nagle posted:

>>     Now here's a thought.  We all know the announcments which begin
>>with a special three-tone sequence followed by "The number you have
>>reached...".  How about a voice recognition unit to recognize the new
>>number and update your autodialer?  The spoken digits are well

> I'll go you one better: right after the tritone (that's called a SIT,
> right?), transmit the data DIGITALLY with a modem, the same FSK as
> used in Caller-ID.

Rather than using a modem, DTMF signalling could be used.  It is not
as fast, but what's an extra couple of seconds, when you don't have to
wait for the modems to CONNECT?

> This is kind to machines:
> The tritone is the header followed immediately by the data.

Why not have the dialling machine respond with a DTMF (Touch tone)
code which says, "Please inform of new number."  This would
necessitate putting a tone interpreter into the ANI (or whatever)
system, but that can't be the hardest part of the exercise.

Modems already have tone senders in them.  A tone interpreter should
not be too difficult, and the modem could inform the controlling
software with messages like 'TONE 1<CR>' or 'TONE *<CR>' etc.

> This is kind to humans:
> The tritone is loud and annoying already so a little more screaming
> won't hurt.

> FAX/modem/autodialer manufacturers should love this:
> If the machine recognizes the tritone and can act accordingly, you'll
> prevent repeated failed calls.  You could automatically update the
> phone list when a new number is given.  The retry mechanism could
> adapt if the line is temporarily out of service or give up if it's
> permanently out of service.

> I'd expect a CCITT definition of the command to be something like a 16
> bit command followed by a variable length field.  The commands would
> be specified like:

> command: 0000h  Number out of service
> following data: none

CCITT could also define something like:

Tritone - If you are a machine, press '* 0 #' to request status report.

After the modem has dialled its '* 0 #' the CO can send:

1  - All lines busy
2  - Number out of service
3  - Number changed
     Modem responds with '*'
     New number is sent.

etc.

A really clever modem could conduct the conversation by itself, a more
basic unit could simply report the tones received and allow software
control.

Of course, if there is no machine response after the initial tritone,
a voice can inform the human of the number.

Danny

Eric Smith <esmith@apple.com> (08/18/90)

In article <10948@accuvax.nwu.edu> U5434122@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
writes:

>   In article <10715@accuvax.nwu.edu>, synsys!jeffj@uunet.uu.net writes:

>   > I'll go you one better: right after the tritone (that's called a SIT,
>   > right?), transmit the data DIGITALLY with a modem, the same FSK as
>   > used in Caller-ID.

>   Rather than using a modem, DTMF signalling could be used.  It is not
>   as fast, but what's an extra couple of seconds, when you don't have to
>   wait for the modems to CONNECT?

Using a FSK modulation doesn't imply a need for modems to handshake a
connection, as is done with 212 and V.22bis modems.  There is not
really any advantage to using DTMF, and it is MUCH slower, and would
delay the voice recording enough to be annoying.

>   Modems already have tone senders in them.  A tone interpreter should
>   not be too difficult, and the modem could inform the controlling
>   software with messages like 'TONE 1<CR>' or 'TONE *<CR>' etc.

Putting a DTMF tone decoder into a typical modem would requre the
addition of an IC (such as an SSI 204), while many modems already have
FSK demodulator chips that are capable of handling the required
freqencies, even though the modem may not utilize the particular
frequencies in its normal operation.  This is common because there are
general purpose modem chips which handle many standards.

Eric L. Smith      Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those
esmith@apple.com   of my employer, friends, family, computer, or even me!  :-)