[comp.dcom.telecom] Southwestern Bell Humor

Blake Farenthold <blake@pro-party.cts.com> (08/07/90)

I received my Southwestern Bell Long distance bill today :-( and
discovered that the Vice President in charge of page three is not speaking
to the Vice President in charge of page four!  At the bottom of page
three the following message appeared:

     STARTING SEPT. 9, 1990 YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO DIAL "512"
     WHEN CALLING LONG DISTANCE WITHIN THE 512 AREA CODE.  THIS
     CHANGE IS NEEDED BECAUSE THE COMBINATION OF AVAILABLE
     TELEPHONE NUMBERS IN THE 512 AREA CODE IS RUNNING OUT.
     YOU MAY BEGAN DIALING THE AREA CODE ON ALL LONG DISTANCE
     CALLS TODAY.

At the top of page four the following message appeared:

     DO YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY A FAVOR. GET AN ADDITIONAL
     PHONE LINE WITH A SEPARATE PHONE NUMBER. GET PEACE OF MIND
     FOR LESS THAN YOU THINK. CALL YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE
     REPRESENTATIVE TODAY.

 ... well I thought it was kinda funny..

My two other phone bill observations.. Why all caps? and Why can't
AT&T/SWBell bill tell me how much EACH Reach Out America costs instead
of giving me the FULL AT&T rate with asterisks, percent signs, and
octothorpes to indicate it is a ROA call.

    UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake
Internet: blake@pro-party.cts.com

Blake Farenthold         | Voice: 800/880-1890     |    MCI: BFARENTHOLD
1200 MBank North         |   Fax: 512/889-8686     |    CIS: 70070,521
Corpus Christi, TX 78471 |   BBS: 512/882-1899     |  GEnie: BLAKE

la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (08/08/90)

In article <10510@accuvax.nwu.edu> blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake
Farenthold) writes:

 ...stuff about Ringmaster deleted.

I wonder how many Ringmaster numbers exist now?  I think that the
LEC's are pushing it as their cables are approaching full usage.
otherwise they would be pushing a second line.  (New NPA's will be
come more frequent because of RingMaster type numbers..)

>AT&T/SWBell bill tell me how much EACH Reach Out America costs instead
>of giving me the FULL AT&T rate with asterisks, percent signs, and
>octothorpes to indicate it is a ROA call.

I think the LEC's should include two prices for each call the cost under
the plan and the regular cost.  Then they could say at the bottom that
you saved $xx.xx this month.  They could do this for each customer if
they were on a plan or not.

Bill

[Moderator's Note: Illinois Bell (when billing for AT&T Reach Out)
shows the regular cost of the call with the # symbol and the number of
minutes. At the bottom of the bill, they tally the total minutes,
charge the hourly rate for ROA and add the note "Total Was: xxxx" You
Pay: zzzz". Obviously if there is more than about $7 difference, then
you have paid the monthly Reach Out fee and started to save money. The
catch is, here in the midwest, very few late night calls cost more
than about 12 cents a minute anyway ... and some cost less!  My use of
ROA about breaks even. It becomes cost effective on calls from the
east to west coast, or anywhere more than about 2000 miles away. I do
not call the west coast all that often.  PT]

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (08/18/90)

I looked very carefully at my bills before signing up for ROA and
figured out that I would probably end up paying something like two to
four dollars per month more for the Night/Weekend calls than I
otherwise would, but since the vast majority of my calling was during
Evening hours (despite urgent pleas to my wife), I would save far more
from the evening rate discount that I get with the plan.  I signed up
for whatever ROA plan gave me the biggest evening discount.

Ron Heiby,
heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com

[Moderator's Note: Mr. Heiby is the Moderator of Usenet's comp.newprod
newsgroup.  Welcome to telecom! PAT]