[comp.dcom.telecom] Butt-sets ... How to Choose?

Dave Platt <dplatt@coherent.com> (08/18/90)

I'm interested in buying a decent butt-test set and some other
phone-setup tools ... the job of maintaining our company's phone system
and data-comm wiring has ended up on my list-of-things-to-do (not that
I'm sorry about it at all, though!)

I've got catalogs here from Techni-Tool, Time Motion Tools, and
Specialized Products Company.  There appear to be quite a number of
butt-test sets which would meet my simple needs ... ranging in price
from $150 up to $300 or so.

The most widely-offered seem to be the Harris (or Dracon) TS-21 line
 ...  the TS21-X89 (water-resistant) is priced about the same as the
older, non-water-resistant models (sometimes less!) and seems to have
some other advantages as well.  It appears that the whole TS-21 line
comes _without_ ringers, though ... is this true?

Does anybody have any suggestions about specific models which work
particularly well, or particularly badly, or are good bargains?  I
don't wish to spend more $$ than necessary ... but I don't insist on a
bargain-basement model either (I've learned the hard way that "buying
cheap" is often expensive in the long run).

Any recommendations?

Dave Platt     VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET: coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

TERRY@spcvxb.bitnet (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (08/19/90)

In article <11005@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
writes:

> The most widely-offered seem to be the Harris (or Dracon) TS-21 line
>  ...  the TS21-X89 (water-resistant) is priced about the same as the
> older, non-water-resistant models (sometimes less!) and seems to have
> some other advantages as well.  It appears that the whole TS-21 line
> comes _without_ ringers, though ... is this true?

  I have two of the older TS21's, back when mute was an extra-cost
option.  They're pretty reliable (one's been perfect, one has an
intermittent line switch). They don't have ringers, but you can hear
the 20Hz hum in monitor mode if you're listening for it.

  The NJ Bell folks I've seen lately use TS21's, so they are either
pretty reliable or they get a good discount 8-).

        Terry Kennedy           Operations Manager, Academic Computing
        terry@spcvxa.bitnet     St. Peter's College, US
        terry@spcvxa.spc.edu    (201) 915-9381